Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Al here from the Twin Cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Al here from the Twin Cities

Hey all.

First off I want to thank Meathead and co. for the wealth of knowledge available(most of it for free) here at AmazingRibs.com. I felt the least I could do is offer my support by joining the Pitmaster Club(the GMG opportunity helped as well). You've really helped to eliminate a lot of the mysticism that comes along with smoking, grilling and food in general. I am a sucker for science, understanding the why instead of the how and consistent results, weird I know.

A little background from me as it pertains to smoking - The smoking bug bit me years ago at a friendly poker game an old boss hosted where I had the privilege of sampling the most tender, succulent and juicy beef I had ever had in my life. Some of you know it as well-smoked beef brisket, maybe you've heard of it.

Not long after I purchased my first smoker - a Masterbuilt electric smoker. Well after two years of sitting in my garage at my townhome unused I ended up selling it to a friend. Not sure what I was thinking, I probably wasn't. Since then I've sold the townhouse and am currently living somewhere with a yard. A real opportunity to get into barbecue was now at hand.

I decided to make a trip out to Cabela's in June and came home with a Brinkmann offset smoker/charcoal grill with vertical smoke chamber that was on sale for $329. Imagine my dismay when I was browsing the web for advice on how to get the most out of my new smoker that I had purchased a COS. Cheap it was and it reflected in the performance. Leaky firebox, could not hold temp to save its life, etc. I was able get some ok barbecue on it but I knew I could get better results with the right equipment(not to mention save time and money on fuel and vent adjustments). Luckily Cabela's has an awesome return policy and back she went, creosote buildup and all.

To cut an already long story shorter. I ended up finding a display Weber 22" Kettle Premium(copper) at Lowes that I walked out the door for $120(decision influenced by the Kettle sub-forum here in the pit). Not long after I pulled the trigger on a Slow 'N Sear after reading about it here and seeing all the rave reviews. Along with my Kettle, Slow 'N Sear and the wealth of knowledge here at AmazingRibs.com I expect years of delicious outdoor cooking.

I hope you found my story a little entertaining(perhaps enlightening) albeit long-winded. It's a pleasure to be among such great company, thanks again!
    Last edited by Hardwarehank; August 12, 2015, 07:36 PM.

Welcome Hardwarehank! We're glad you're here. I'm especially glad you have a Slow 'N Sear (everyone here knows I own the company that sells it). Can't wait to see pics of your cooks!

Comment

Absolutely. I am 100% satisfied with my purchase. Thanks for making such a wonderful product and the warm welcome. It will definitely pay for itself many times over in saved fuel and delicious food.

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to hear it, and thanks!

Welcome from South Central PA Hardwarehank . My story is kind of the same with the COS. It was disheartening to find out that it was only good for scrap metal. Now one, Weber 22.5" classic premium kettle with an SnS and PBC later, life is good. You will enjoy the PIT.

Comment

• Hardwarehank
        Hardwarehank commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks mackdaddy. The value of a kettle with an SnS is pretty hard to beat, that's for sure.

Welcome Aboard Hardwarehank

Comment

• Hardwarehank
        Hardwarehank commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks smarkley! Good to be here.

Welcome to the Pit. Glad to have you here.

Comment

Great to have you aboard!

Comment

A VERY belated welcome to The Pit Hardwarehank !

If you haven't had the privilege yet, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos which I'm sure you've already handled by now anyway. (Maybe get that SnS added to your signature!)

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Cheers!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Hardwarehank !

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here