Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Saluzzo, Italy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Saluzzo, Italy

Hello All! My name is Sam and I live in northwest Italy, about an hour southwest of Turin with my wife of 41 years. We are both originally from Philadelphia. I lived in Philly my entire life except for three years in NYC for law school. We retired two years ago and decided it was time for something new. We decided on this place after a couple of visits. We both love wine and food, so this is a perfect place for us. We live less than an hour from the towns of Barbaresco and Barolo in the Langhe region.

I love to cook. Before we moved here, we lived in an apartment on the fourth floor with nowhere to cook outdoors for four years. Before that we had a gas grill in our backyard where I grilled but did not do serious barbecuing. When we moved here, we moved into a home situated on 1/4 acre with plenty of room for outdoor cooking.

The first real barbecue charcoal cooker we got was a small Weber Kettle. We soon realized it was too small and replacedit with a large Weber Kettle which we continue to use. Our friends here LOVE American style barbecuing and before the pandemic, was ground zero every Sunday for a stream of our new Italian friends and neighbors with their kids. I had to get really good really fast. They were all bringing their great Italian food dishes and great wine and beer. When the pandemic hit, that stopped. We were in lockdown and it was taken really seriously here. For my birthday in January before the pandemic hit, we had purchased a Bradley electric smoker which I had planned to use the following season but it was not to be the neverending party I had planned. Instead, I worked on learning how to use the smoker. I had never used a smoker before, but I had plenty of time to learn which I am doing. I'm far from being really good but I've made edible beef, pork, chicken, duck and, with a cold smoker attachment, fish all of which have received my wife's approval.

It looks like the party will resume here around mid-May and I cannot wait to get back to my wonderful friends and neighbors every Sunday! I'm looking forward to learning a lot on this marvelous site and wish I had found it long ago. I found it because I was looking for a way to safely make my first corned beef.nI'll let you all know how it turns out in a week. Thanks for stopping by!

Hi Sam. Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks David!

Welcome from North Florida. I have very fond memories of visiting Bologna and Modena a couple of years ago.

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Boyj brautiful towns with long food traditions. The Baksamic vinegar of Modena is legendary as was that tenor was born and raised there, Luciano Pavarotti,

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ofelles!

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas, Texas!

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I needn't tell you about the football rivalry between our cities, but in the spirit of friendship let's declare a truce.

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      cohenkin Actually being from New Orleans I am a Saints fan, but we can still declare a truce.

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Who dat? Who dat? Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?
      Truce declared.

Greetings and welcome from North Carolina.

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      From the mountains to the sea, my wife and I love N.C.

You have an interesting background. Welcome from Pittsburgh, PA!

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. A great city!

Howdy from Texas Sam and welcome to The Pit. What a great introduction letter, we’re glad to have ya. Be sure and post pictures of your cooks, we like pics here. There’s a lot of knowledgeable and friendly people here who’ll be happy to help, if needed.

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks John! I'll keep that in mind!

Awesome story! Welcome from North Shore MA!

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Love fishing the North Shore!

Welcome to the pit,,,,,,
    look forward to a road Weber pic or two with the Italian landscapes !
    I know it’s from another region but have you mastered the bistecca alla fiorentina ?
    that would be some impressive pics !!!!!

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Bistecca Fiorentina is cooked over direct heat with lots os salt. It can handle the direct heat because the traditionally used cut of beef used for bistecca fiorentina is a porterhouse cut of Chianina. Chianna is loaded with interstitial fat, much like Wagyu. The beef used in my region is completely different. It lacks the gene that promotes interstitial fat production of interstitial fat. It must be cooked far more gently (cooler) and the Porterhoussecoy is never used. Here you will find rib en

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Hello from NW Oregon.
    Happy Grilling to Sam and You.

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Love those Oregon Pinots!

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

I lived in Sicily, mid-80's...Gawdz, how I miss th people, an th foods!!!

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      I understand. Thanks for the welcome!

Benvenuto!

Comment

• cohenkin
      cohenkin commented
      Editing a comment
      Grazie!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here