Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Saluzzo, Italy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cohenkin
    commented on 's reply
    Who dat? Who dat? Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?
    Truce declared.

• cohenkin
    commented on 's reply
    shopping list for homes in China, Scandinavia, Spain, South Africa, and just about anywhere else where Islam or Judaism is not the main religion (because of the pork).That said, the Slow Food Foundation in Bra is working to preserve the product. Here is an address:
    Slow Food Presidium Coordinator
    Filippo Bier
    Tel. +39 0427 86189 - 335 6789205
    [email protected]
    Hope this helps! Best, Sam

• cohenkin
    commented on 's reply
    Though Italian is the official language, my friend tells me it is much more common to hear German spoken in casual conversation. Similarly, the cuisine is much more influenced by German cuisine than Italian. My suspicion is that the sausage in question is seasoned much more in the German style than Cajun. I used to teach a university course in culture and gastronomy and I have to tell you that the list of ingredients you call the Cajun Trinity is by no means unique. You can find the same (cont'd

• cohenkin
    commented on 's reply
    Hi 58! Friuli is on the opposite side of Italy from where I live and in all of the times I have visitted and lived here, it is the one part I have never been to. It is one of the worst hit parts of Italy by COVID and has been in total lockdown for the last year. A friend of mine was just transferred there so it is very high on my wife's and my list for a visit. That section of Italy is more culturally German and Austrian than it is Italian.

• cohenkin
    replied
    There is nowhere like Alba from mid=October to New Year in terms of cuisine. If you are VERY fortunate and you live here, you might even have some friends who are restauranteurs who will hook you up with truffles for home use. If you are very, VERY lucky, you may even make a friend who owns truffle dogs who will give you a call when he comes home from the hunt with truffles that were in the ground an hour or two before. Pure unoptanium unless you are here.

Leave a comment:

• Pobeque
    commented on 's reply
    That sounds like fun....we were there late October - early November and were able to attend the truffle festival in Alba. Had so many good meals/wines those few days....

• Soonerpop
    commented on 's reply
    cohenkin I am for a fact. It’s amazing, but there are Texans everywhere down here. I guess I’m lucky that I’m such a nice guy, raconteur, teller-of-tales, soldier-of-fortune, and all-around good guy so I can stay one step ahead of ‘em.

• cohenkin
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Pobeque! We spent our first weekend after moving here in Bra. In the middle of September every two years, they have a huge festival devoted to cheeses from all over the world. At the 2019 festival, the gold medal winner was a cheese from the Rogue Valley in Oregon. Sadly, due to the pandemic, this year's festival has been cancelled. Retirement here is great. You'll love it!

• cohenkin
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Soonerpop! Isn't it dangerous to be "Sooner" anything in Texas? You're a brave man!

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    Here is the video I'm referring to, it starts off erroneously saying Friuli in in NW Italy: https://youtu.be/mVnJrEYwAZI

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    It is called Pestat di Fagagna. Is there anything similar in NW Italy? I just need the amounts of seasonings that are normally added. I can wing it but would prefer to get the proportions close to how they do it there. They sometimes eat it as a spread but usually they cut some off and saute it as the start of many different dishes - like the Cajun trinity. I made a Jota recipe from the Friuli region using my home made sauerkraut - wonderful!

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    cohenkin I do have a request. I watched a youtube video about the Fruili region in NE Italy (I know it is probably quite different than NW Italy) but they make a version of what I think is similar to the Cajun trinity: it is chopped carrots, celery, onion, and leeks blended with 50% pork fat. Seems straight forward but they also add some seasonings: rosemary, sage, salt, cinnamon, pimiento, and black pepper. Amounts are not given. It is stuffed into beef casings and hung to dry like prosciutto.

• Pobeque
    replied
    Welcome....from Long Island here. My wife and I spent a few nights in Bra on our honeymoon a few years ago. Loved the area and can't wait to go back. Aspiring to have your retirement!

Leave a comment:

• Soonerpop
    replied
    Hello, and welcome from north Texas. Great story, looking forward to seeing your "stuff" as you post pix. You’ll have fun here.

Leave a comment:

• cohenkin
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Skip! I love fishing in Minnesota! I just smoked a beautiful trout I caught here two days ago. Dry brined it and cold smoked it with applewood.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here