Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wedding first stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding first stop

We have raised four pigs each year for the last few years. We weren't sure about this year but ended up with three pigs and I decided one day I was going to cook one for our wedding. It comes up in a few days on Saturday. I hope I get this right! Sure don't want to waste bacon on a bad bbq job. Live in the Northwest and we like our pigs. This year I knew from the beginning that one whole pig was going for guests at our wedding. A first for me will be the entire process. I'm not too worried but the pig butcher is usually left to the Pro's. Now I will be doing the entire job from kill to cook on my own. Our local butcher was not willing to do any skin on prep. He has had terrible experiences in the past. Somehow (luckily) I found this site very quick a few weeks ago and it single handed gave me the confidence to move forward with my plan. Our pigs are fed Primarily on barley fodder and I wanted to cook one of Our pigs, not some unknown factory pig. I purchased a scraper, pig scald powder, and I will be working on the pit today up at our wedding location. We are friendly folks, if you were nearby I would invite you to the feast. Wish me luck. And feel free to call, text, email if you have suggestions. Thanks for the information given so far.

Congrats on the wedding! Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you on a whole hog cook as I've never done one before but if you are following the advice given on this site I'm sure it'll turn out great. Meathead has never steered me wrong yet! Oh and welcome to The Pit.

Joel

Comment

Tyschev, welcome! Congratulations on the happy occasion! I am really hoping we get to see pics of the cook and all the festivities. When things aren't so busy check out my Welcome letter and tips topics, which will help you complete your signature. They're here and here.

Comment

Best of luck on the hog and the marriage! Not sure which is harder....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here