Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ooni Fyra verses Ooni Koda 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooni Fyra verses Ooni Koda 16

I've moved up from the Fyra to the Koda 16. For those that don't know the difference, here are links to both...

Ooni Fyra 12 is a wood pellet fired portable pizza oven. Reaching 850°F (450°C) in 15 minutes, it cooks Neapolitan-style pizza in just 90 seconds.

https://ooni.com/collections/ovens/p...s/ooni-koda-16

I liked the Fyra, but felt it was too hit and miss to get a good pizza every time.

Here are some of the pros and cons of the FYRA from my point of view:

Pros:
    • well built, high quality
    • does get super hot as advertised
    • easy to light
    • easy to keep lit
    • true wood smoke
    • very portable
    • doesn't get hot underneath - safe
    • attractive design
    • cooks pizza fast
    • reasonably priced
    • great for searing meat - especially after sous vide
    Cons:
    • does get super hot as advertised - sometimes too hot
    • small interior limits pizza turning space - requires pizza to be close to flame
    • has a front door limiting visibility - hard to see inside
    • pellets need manual attention - not like a pellet smoker that has automatic control
    • when dropping pellets into the feed tube, some bounce out onto the pizza stone
    • difficult to raise or lower temperature
    • messy - produces a lot of acrid smoka, soot, and creosote.
    • very hot flames can shoot out of chimney when at full burn - can't burn under standard covered patio
    • difficult to master
    • expensive Ooni accessories
    Here are some of the pros and cons of the KODA 16 from my point of view:

Pros:
    • well built, high quality
    • does get super hot as advertised
    • easy to light
    • easy to keep lit
    • somewhat portable
    • doesn't get hot underneath - safe
    • attractive design
    • cooks pizza fast
    • easy to adjust temperature and/or quickly shut down
    • large with open front - easy to see inside - easy to turn pizza
    • no chimney - safe to burn under patio cover
    • doesn't produce excessive smoke or soot
    • large enough to place a small pizza close or far from the flame depending on need - less chance of rapidly burning the crust
    • great for searing meat - especially after sous vide (I assume)
    Cons:
    • no true wood smoke
    • dangerous to light if not careful - a large flame burst out of the front upon ignition
    • expensive Ooni accessories
    • I've read reports that some people have issues with it staying lit - I haven't experienced this yet and I believe Ooni has some troubleshooting available for this
    • only somewhat portable
    So far, I'm super happy with the decision to abandon the Fyra - I'll be selling it on eBay; I have it all cleaned up and ready to advertise (that was quite a chore!).

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201117_200545.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	942344
    Last edited by treesmacker; November 19, 2020, 12:11 AM.

I'll bet it was a chore! Thanks. It was helpful to have your assessment of these models.
    Last edited by EdF; November 19, 2020, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Good commentary, and what you say about the 16 is pretty accurate.

On the "flame bursting out the front", you accurately used the word "careful". That's entirely operator error with a caveat. Ignition is a two step process; turn knob slightly and hold for 3 seconds to prime gas flow, then push and turn slightly to activate piezo lighter and hold knob in for 5 seconds to ensure stable lighting/initial burn. It's that "hold in for 5 seconds...." part that gets folks, including me, as it's somewhat unnatural. If you don't do it the flame goes out, builds up gas in the oven space, and the natural tendency is to do an immediate restart where the ball o' flame thing happens. And not doing the 5 second probably is what leads to the "flame going out" problem as well. Typing it out like I just did makes it sound like more of a "problem" than it is in actual use. It's just a matter of forcing the brain to learn how to use the equipment correctly. Once you get the procedure down there are no problems.

Enjoy.
      Last edited by Uncle Bob; November 19, 2020, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, on several of my first lights I forgot the hold for 5 seconds; like you say I need to train my brain. I found the flame shoots out the front even when lit correctly. They do include a warning sticker on the front leg of the oven for this, but it says "remove before use"; I kept it and put it on the front of my cart as a reminder. If it doesn't light first try, you are supposed to wait 5 minutes before attempting again. I didn't follow this once on my Cuisinart 360 and no hair left on arms!

• RlsRls
        RlsRls commented
        Editing a comment
        Can someone explain to me the acrid foul smelling sooty smoke which eminates from the Fyra 12?? My pellets (some treager some Ooni) are fine when I use them in a pellet tube for chesses and nuts etc.. The soot in the oven is unbelievable for such a short cook!!

We like Koda: https://amazingribs.com/pizza-oven/ooni-koda

Comment

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, if you want good portability and are only cooking small pizzas, I think it would be great.

thanks for the update. I'm jealous you got the Koda 16. I have a regular Koda and wish I held out. With the small size and flame only in the back, its a challenge to get the char I want without burning it.

Comment

The Koda 16 sure looks nice. Their next version should include a turntable.

Comment

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes a turntable would be nice, but it's kinda fun to watch and turn (unlike the Fyra). I saw on Ooni forum where a guy modified his with a hole in the bottom and motorized turntable that he mounted a round stone on top of.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        You could always not turn it on if you wanted to manually spin it.

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        Turning the pizza manually is all about the zen................

My Koda 16 was delivered this week. Adding a vent hood to the outdoor kitchen so I have to wait for a few more days to fire it up. Anxious to try it out.
      Will retire my Ooni Pro (resell locally). Keeping my Ooni 2S for future camping trips since it is relatively small and portable.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        What are the advantages of the Koda 16 over the Pro?

I have not used the Koda yet - fired it up yesterday to burn off any manufacturing gunk though.

The Koda ia single fuel (propane or a conversion to natural gas). The burner is L shaped an placed horizontally. This is suppose to provide even heat although you still need to turn the pizza.

The Pro runs on pellets, charcoal, wood and gas (add on burner for $99). The gas burner has two flame that shoot straight out from the rear of the oven. I have run the Pro with all fuels except pellets. Each fuel has its quirks but you can get a crisp crust with all of the fuels. The gas burner gives you more control but requires more reheat time. We like a thin crispy crust so we reduced the gas flow which increases cooking time to allow for crisper crust without burning the topping.

Both ovens will handle a 16" pizza.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I forget where, but I was able to pick up a piece of sheet metal cut to fit in the back of the Pro. It acts as a baffle between the burner and food chamber. Definitely reduces the potential to burn.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here