Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roccbox pizza oven - anyone seen/tried it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roccbox pizza oven - anyone seen/tried it?

I ate dinner with a good friend yesterday, and among many other things we started discussing grilling (surprise...). He's getting new gear, and he plans on buying a gas grill and a pizza oven. He found one that looks promising named Roccbox. Here's their website:

https://www.gozney.com/eu/products/h...ovens/roccbox/

Here's a photo of it. You can get it in different colors, but overall it looks very promising. I like the portability (I can store it when not used), and it seems efficient.

Click image for larger version  Name:	roccbox-1-green.png Views:	0 Size:	241.6 KB ID:	800501

I checked the AmazingRibs equipment review, but didn't find anything about this one. Does anyone know if this is the real deal? I'm real keen on buying one :-)

I think it's super cool that you can use either gas or wood for fuel. Sweet!

Max Good - do you know?
    Last edited by Henrik; February 7, 2020, 12:22 AM.

I know Kenji rated it as his top backyard pizza oven a couple years back: https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/05/...ns-review.html

The company also looks like they make bigger, commercial models for what it's worth. Not sure I could justify $600 on a pizza oven but it does seem like it is a good one.

Comment

I thought this was one of the good ones? That's what I've heard anyway. Plus it's so small and looks good too. I love my gas powered Blackstone because it's so fast to heat up (900f in 10 minutes). Having an option for wood is just gravy. Seems like a good choice.

Comment

This and the ooni Karu seem like the best values. I’m hoping they get reviewed soon. I’ve only been holding off because if I had one if these I’d probably eat pizza every day.

Comment

We got one for my father a few years ago and it rips. 900 degrees cooks pizza in about 90 seconds. Just have to be careful with the size of flame in back once you get up to temp as it will char pretty quick. We've also cooked different proteins in cast iron pans in there and they come out great. Only real drawback is that max pizza is about 12"

Comment

Great feedback, this seems like a winner :-)

Comment

My wife and I considered the Roccbox and the Uuni Pro models seriously last year. Our thought was that you could make great, small pizzas in either device, they're portable and durable. The cons were that the pizzas are small, the pellet-heated models only ran for 10 minutes per pellet load, there's some skill required in spinning the pizza to cook it evenly and we didn't want another propane tank and device cluttering the patio. We opted for the Pizza Porta on our BGE and love it. I use it for pizza, chicken wings, bread, salmon and sauteing veggies. Henrik you'll make some amazing food with any of these devices and I can't wait to see the pictures.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, haven’t heard of the Pizza Porta, good to know.

• treesmacker
                treesmacker commented
                Editing a comment
                Looked up that Pizza Porta - I like it; wish I had a BGE!

I went through this decision matrix around Xmass. After much gnashing of teeth and swearing, ended up with the ooni pro. Works like a charm. Only issue so far is high winds do make it challenging to operate at a high temperature. Versatility is great, can run on wood, charcoal or a mix, pellets, and gas. Need to buy separate adaptors for the gas and pellets. Caught it on sale around Xmass. Considered the roccbox and a few others. Not saying my choice was the right choice, but, it works, and works well. The ultimate solution would be a nice brick oven, but, that was just too expensive to justify.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for your feedback, the Ooni is getting good reviews too. I’m real keen on pulling the trigger on the Roccbox though :-)

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Both are good products.

So, what did you end up getting? I have not been on here of late to check.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                I detoured somewhere, and got myself a PK grill instead. Don’t know what happened :-)

• chudzikb
                chudzikb commented
                Editing a comment
                Ahhh, get back to that pizza love! Can do magic with the correct tempretures.

I received the Roccbox around November 2020. I never was a pizza connoisseur but having a Roccbox opened up another new world of cooking. I have learned a lot about pizza and have so much more to learn. Different styles of pizza, different flours, different dough's, different fermentation types and times, etc, etc. The Roccbox is designed with Neapolitan style pizzas in mind which I am told are traditionally 12", thus the 12" pizza size opening. The oven will bake a traditional Neopolitan pizzas in 90 seconds. It can reach temperatures of 900 degrees F and does a great job. It Is solidly built. And as noted is portable (although has a decent weight to it). There is a separate wood burner attachment which I am told works well but obviously requires more attention. I only have the gas burner attachement which is convenient and works very well for me. While originally designed for Neapolitan style pizzas, New York style, Detroit Style and Chicago style pizzas can certainly be made in the Roccbox. (BTW- Detroit style pizzas are delicious) You can also sear steaks, roast veggies, etc. using a cast iron or other heat tolerant pan.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for your feedback, it is as good as it looks then. Still on my list of things to get 😄

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here