Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ooni Karu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooni Karu

Well, this looks very interesting.

Seems weird that an established company is doing a Kickstarter for a new model. Personally, I would probably rather buy their Koda model after my experience with my Blackstone propane-powered pizza oven.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      They started on kickstarter, so I guess they are comfortable with crowdfunding.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Microsoft started in a garage.

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lots of companies use Kickstarter for new models. It distributes the risk to a bunch of backers instead of the company taking the risk. Think what you will but backers more often than not get a guaranteed reward since the company is established.

Solidteknics does this for every new model.

Ah man, why did you do this?

Comment

I'm not familiar with that company. I thought it was a spinoff of Kobayashi Maru.

Seriously, though, if I didn't have so many "I need this" things on my BBQ/Grilling list, I'd plunk some $$ down. It looks pretty good.

Kathryn

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s good to have another teckie nerd here in the pit ...

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that's Trekkie nerd

Looks like something I could get behind if I made more pizza's.

Comment

Stop it.

Comment

Someone is an MCS enabler.

Comment

Wood mode:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	42B734DE-479A-436D-870E-71CD4CFA92B0.jpeg
Views:	872
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	816888

Name:	192DA15F-3C4A-41C6-BD9A-2506D43E5542.jpeg
Views:	862
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	816891

gas mode (live gas shot with sizzler pan followed by a gas pizza)

Name:	3683B293-0E38-424A-9D10-081CF850C9D0.jpeg
Views:	831
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	816890

Name:	6CD8B6AF-08EF-45C0-884B-E6BD2A062000.jpeg
Views:	847
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	816889
            Seems like I can get the stone to 700-750 with gas and 800+ with wood. No good way to measure air temp in here. Probably around 800-900F.

Comment

• jaminson
              jaminson commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks cool!

With wood you heat up with the entry door closed. The stone seems to heat much more evenly and to a higher temp. Takes 60-75 seconds to cook. Have to stack the firebox just right to get max temps and that lasts for ~5 minutes after refueling so you have to keep futzing with it.

Running it with gas, the door has to stay open so the front half of the stone stays cooler than the back half. Just makes it a little trickier to get the bottom cooked evenly (more turning, more often). Takes 70-90 seconds to cook.

I will likely run wood from now on, so I don’t recommend the gas burner add on.

Comment

Those guys were just on Shark Tank, I believe.

Comment

the Karu is certainly more aesthetically pleasing than the pro.

Comment

Honestly, I always was afraid of a gas burner thinking that it could explode. I prefer wood because it is an absolutely other smell and taste of all the prepared meals on it. The stone is really heated much more evenly and faster to a higher temp. Frankly speaking, It looks aesthetic and elegant but still my choice in stone and wood. I got a cool barbecue grill on an investment project on themoneymix.com. It is much bigger and massive but it corresponds to all my needs and requirements. Sure, it is good for preparing and pizza and meat, vegetables, fish, etc. but not just one thing.
                  Last edited by jaminson; April 16, 2020, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Two things: Howdy jaminson , 2nd love the wood feature.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here