Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roccbox Vs Ardore Pizza Ovens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coreyo
    replied
    I ended up ordering a roccbox directly from Gozney. It seems that the good deals on Williams Sonoma are all expired and I don't see the carrying case on their website. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed, my friend! coreyo

• coreyo
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker Nothing wrong with a little argument! That's how we learn to think, and that's how we learn to form our own opinions.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    I am not trying to be argumentative, just having a discussion. Histrix I did not mean for it to come off that way.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    The Ovals must run different than the EGGs and KJs I have, which is possible. In my expeirience, take about a1/2 hr to heat soak. I have never had it take 2 hours, even when it is -10 F. The heat soaking helps it to recover when you open the lid. If it is properly heat soaked, you should not have huge dips in temps. That is one of the main advantages of a ceramic. You should not need to refill it with fuel for a short cook like that, even if you are blazing hot.

• coreyo
    commented on 's reply
    Speaking about my Oval XL, it takes at least an hour or two to bring up to a high temperature and saturate the ceramic with heat. At that point, you have to refill it, which means a dip in temps and more wait time. When it's finally very hot, the temperature dips quite a bit every time you open the lid. It's just highly inconvenient and sub-optimal by comparison. It also gives high floor to ceiling temp differential.

• Histrix
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker - Thanks for the info. Wasn't looking to be argumentative was genuinely curious as I had no idea how big the firebox is on a Medium BGE.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Long enough to cook a pizza or three. I am not saying that these ovens don't work, or that they are a bad deal or that he should not buy one. Heck, they would probably be fun to own. For me, I would go with a kamado, that's all. As I said before, to each their own. Histrix

• Histrix
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker - Just curious, how many hours of "run time" @ 900°F do you think a Medium BGE will have?

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Personally, I have never had any issue maintaining high temps or steady temps. If you fill your fireball, you should not ned to add any fuel. Clean up is easy with a kick ash basket. To each their own.

• coreyo
    replied
    Spinaker I've already got a a Primo Oval XL. A BGE would be redundant. WRT the Oval XL, it makes an EXCELLENT smoker (especially for longer cook times). Really not very good for high temperature applications:

1. Achieving a steady temperature, especially while constantly opening and closing the lid is much more difficult.
    2. The amount of time and fuel required to heat up the entire thing and maintain a temperature of 600F or more is prohibitive.
    3. Adding more fuel during cooks is a lot more work than simply rotating a propane knob.
    4. 500% more cleanup.
    5. Not portable at all.
    6. Would a medium BGE accommodate a cast iron skillet with a handle?
    Last edited by coreyo; April 24, 2019, 11:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    Honestly, at that price. I would buy a medium BGE. You can get those temps, and you could use it for other cooking applications. Including baking your own loaves of bread. Not to mention smoking, grilling etc.

Just a thought, I know people love these ovens, but that is what I would PERSONALLY do.

Leave a comment:

• coreyo
    replied
    Can any roccbox owner confirm what they are able to achieve at the lower end of their sustained temps? i.e. what is the minimum temperature that you can sustain with your Roccbox?

Leave a comment:

• coreyo
    commented on 's reply
    I would really like to see a good comparison of this to the Uuni 3. If we all agree that propane is the way to go, and this one cooks at least as well as the Uuni 3, it's much prettier and much more portable.

• Polarbear777
    replied
    There’s also this now.

Can a home pizza oven be easy and convenient? With this backyard Ooni oven, it can.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here