Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roccbox Vs Ardore Pizza Ovens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roccbox Vs Ardore Pizza Ovens

I've been trolling other forums dedicated to pizza making as well as a number of YouTube videos on the subject of backyard pizza ovens. I was surprised by just how popular the Roccbox has become. I pointed it out to our reviewers way back when it was just a Kickstarter campaign and I was disappointed to see that we still don't have a professional review of it here on AmazingRibs.

As I did my research, I found that it had a rival at the exact same price point: the Ardore gas fired pizza oven. Many of the backyard enthusiast prefer it to the Roccbox. In either case, at almost twice the price, they both seem to be far superior to the Uuni 3.

As a side note, I have recently discovered "Detroit Style" pizza and I will never go back to Chicago Style again. Even with a square cast-iron skillet sitting on a thick pizza stone, my kitchen oven doesn't seem to get the center and bottom of the pan crust hot enough to be done before the wonderful crusty cheese layer around the outside becomes a little overly dark. I was hoping that one of these ovens might do a better job at lower settings (something more like 600F floor temperature). Pictures to follow:

The Roccbox has only barely been mentioned on the pitmaster forums, and I don't see the Ardore mentioned at all. I'm leaning toward the Roccbox, but I haven't made up my mind just yet. Can anyone share anything that might make this decision easier? I would really love to see a professional review of both of them *bump*.

Roccbox (by Gozney):
    • much more portable
    • prettier
    • choice of hardwood, charcoal, or propane as fuel
    • large flame in the back of the oven

Ardore (by Pizza Party):
    • larger oven that can accommodate larger pizzas and pans
    • gas flame has a wider, more consistent spread that comes from the side rather than the back of the oven

YouTube Comparisons:

In the first, many of the people in the comments noted that the Roccbox had better visual results, but took 20 or so seconds longer (not quite an apples to apples comparison). In the second video, both were left on for 90 seconds and the Ardore seems to have better results. However, a lot of viewers complain that the Roccbox was not operated optimally in both videos.

For my most recent pizza exploits, see this post: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...zza-techniques
    Last edited by coreyo; April 17, 2019, 06:15 PM.

Comment

As far as the cheese around the edge browning too fast is concerned, let the pie cook for a few minutes before putting the cheese around the edge

Comment

• coreyo
        coreyo commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha! seems obvious. My only concern is that the bread will spread out to the pan before the cheese can sink down into the cracks. I'll try it this weekend and report back.

Tough call between the Roccbox, Ardore, and Ooni Pro. They each have their adherents and are all quite capable.

Good thread for folks interested in the Ardore - https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/in...?topic=54604.0

I ended up buying the Ardore last November but have not been able to use it for the last few months but hope that will change in about a month or so. My only criticism of the Ardore is that the temp/flame adjustment knob is very finicky - it doesn't really have as much fine grained adjustment as I would like. There's not much room between idle and full blast.

Comment

Originally posted by Histrix View Post
        I ended up buying the Ardore last November but have not been able to use it for the last few months.
        Oh NO! why not?

Originally posted by Histrix View Post
        My only criticism of the Ardore is that the temp/flame adjustment knob is very finicky - it doesn't really have as much fine grained adjustment as I would like. There's not much room between idle and full blast.
        Thanks for letting me know about that. Given my proclivity for Detroit style pizza, that could be a deal breaker. I'd need to be able to dial the oven to about 600F.

The general sense that I get from the Ardore vs Roccbox is that the Ardore is probably more of a workhorse (i.e. able to heat up more quickly and pump out large quantities of pizzas without cooling down). The Roccbox seems a little more versatile all-around, but requires a little more patience and finesse to achieve the same results. I don't think that it would do quite as well for large pizza parties or in a restaurant.

Any Roccbox owners who can speak to the lower temperature range of the device?

Comment

• Histrix
          Histrix commented
          Editing a comment
          Life just gets in the way of fun sometimes.

I have been able to run the Ardore as low as 400-ish and finding 600-ish should not be a problem it just that with my unit it doesn't take much of a twist to make a bigger jump in temp than I would think so it might take a few "half degree" twists to hit the right spot.

There’s also this now.

Can a home pizza oven be easy and convenient? With this backyard Ooni oven, it can.

Comment

• coreyo
          coreyo commented
          Editing a comment
          I would really like to see a good comparison of this to the Uuni 3. If we all agree that propane is the way to go, and this one cooks at least as well as the Uuni 3, it's much prettier and much more portable.

Can any roccbox owner confirm what they are able to achieve at the lower end of their sustained temps? i.e. what is the minimum temperature that you can sustain with your Roccbox?

Comment

Honestly, at that price. I would buy a medium BGE. You can get those temps, and you could use it for other cooking applications. Including baking your own loaves of bread. Not to mention smoking, grilling etc.

Just a thought, I know people love these ovens, but that is what I would PERSONALLY do.

Comment

Spinaker I've already got a a Primo Oval XL. A BGE would be redundant. WRT the Oval XL, it makes an EXCELLENT smoker (especially for longer cook times). Really not very good for high temperature applications:

1. Achieving a steady temperature, especially while constantly opening and closing the lid is much more difficult.
            2. The amount of time and fuel required to heat up the entire thing and maintain a temperature of 600F or more is prohibitive.
            3. Adding more fuel during cooks is a lot more work than simply rotating a propane knob.
            4. 500% more cleanup.
            5. Not portable at all.
            6. Would a medium BGE accommodate a cast iron skillet with a handle?
            Last edited by coreyo; April 24, 2019, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I am not trying to be argumentative, just having a discussion. Histrix I did not mean for it to come off that way.

• coreyo
              coreyo commented
              Editing a comment
              Spinaker Nothing wrong with a little argument! That's how we learn to think, and that's how we learn to form our own opinions.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed, my friend! coreyo

I ended up ordering a roccbox directly from Gozney. It seems that the good deals on Williams Sonoma are all expired and I don't see the carrying case on their website. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here