Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I may have done it!(?)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have done it!(?)!

First attempt at pizza with the new Ooni Pro....Heavy reliance on Ken Forkish's book. I did the 24-48hour dough. the simple sauce (just canned tomatoes and salt), some pepperoni and mozzarella, with a dusting of basil and oregano. Made 3 pies in total (one just cheese for the boss). Zero of them were burned and or torn on the peel....which in itself is higher than I've ever achieved. Very tasty! Were they perfect? maybe not....probably could have let them sit in the oven a little longer than I did to get the top further along (each was about 60-90 seconds give or take)...but they were good. The oven itself held much higher temps tonight than in my test fires yesterday - it was far less windy today. In the end, for all the frustration and subsequent runs to jimmy johns to salvage past pizza attempts, tonight was (FINALLY) a win against pizza!
    Attached Files

A quick comment: the dough hydration vs oven temp is a key thing to consider. At 900°F temps (like real Neapolitan) the hydration runs less than 60%; Forkish's recipes are geared to 550°F home ovens and they are 70% hydration. Forkish's pies take over 5 minutes to bake due to their higher hydration, Neapolitan pies take less than two minutes.

Your pie looks WONDERFUL!

Comment

I did adjust the book recipes down to the 55-58% hydration he mentioned (I went to 58% - using scales to measure weight, not volume)....and that's the key. looking at past recipes, before ever even knowing that book existed I was using far wetter doughs at higher temps on various grills....

and much like my past "smoking" breakthroughs, actually knowing temperature (in this case via an IR gun) is so important.... stones were holding around 900 degrees when I started.
      Last edited by xaugievike; January 1, 2019, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Well whatever you guys are talking about, sure is some good lookin pie, I like pizza 🍕

Comment

Well done. Please remember that the faster the pie cooks, the less toppings you can use. Too much stuff on the dough, and it won't have time to cook before it burns.

Comment

Charcoal and wood for fuel?

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, once I get less wimpy about the weather, that will be my first choice too!

• xaugievike
              xaugievike commented
              Editing a comment
              actually - once that thing got up to temp (around 900 at the stones) - it's actually pretty toasty in it's immediate vicinity :-)

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely, I just have collateral messes to move around to get at it.

Wow! Nice pizza! So look much fun!

Comment

His PIZZA no longer sucks! 👍👍👍

And it only cost a bajillion dollars & 1 year of study.

Comment

• xaugievike
                xaugievike commented
                Editing a comment
                it sucks so much less than it did. now I have to repeat, then improve.

Great job! I never considered hydration vs temp vs cook time. I have had the Uuni 3 and now the Pro for a few years and have had some great success and dinner horrible failures. I am going to have to have a look at that book and see if I can improve my consistency.

Comment

• xaugievike
                xaugievike commented
                Editing a comment
                he makes it really simple in that book. well worth picking up.

• Rob Starr
                Rob Starr commented
                Editing a comment
                I am guessing it was The Elements of Pizza and not Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast?

• xaugievike
                xaugievike commented
                Editing a comment
                correct

I like that contraption. Primary use for pizza. Secondary as a foundry. You could work some metal in that thing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here