Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ooni added gas attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooni added gas attachment

I recently added the gas attachment for my Ooni 3. It is much easier to use than pellets and I will likely never turn back.

Previously I had used a Neapolitan traditional dough. It was sticky and hard to work with both stretching and getting in and out of the oven was difficult. I found Roberta’s pizza dough and loved how workable it was and it tasted great. Shaping the pizzas was really easy. I made a simple Margherita pizza sauce using Cento San Marzano Peeled Tomatoes, olive oil infused with garlic, onion and red bell pepper. Drained the tomatoes and removed most the seeds and stems. Mix together and set aside.

I started the pizza oven about an hour prior to cooking and the stone was reading 550-770 degrees once warmed up. The dough I split into two balls and let rise at room temperature for about 4 hours and covered with a wet towel. I sautéed onions, red bell peppers and Portabella Mushrooms. I used corn bread mix on the peel as I didn’t have corn meal. I don’t recommend doing this as it burned and actually caught fire. It did work well as it released the pizza off the peel. The pizzas cooked in under 2 minutes. I rotated the pizza multiple times to help cook more evenly.
    Robert’s Pizza Dough

INGREDIENTS
    • 153 grams 00 flour (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon)
    • 153 grams all-purpose flour (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons)
    • 8 grams fine sea salt (1 teaspoon)
    • 2 grams active dry yeast (3/4 teaspoon)
    • 4 grams extra-virgin olive oil (1 teaspoon)
    PREPARATION
    1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flours and salt.
    2. In a small mixing bowl, stir together 200 grams (a little less than 1 cup) lukewarm tap water, the yeast and the olive oil, then pour it into flour mixture. Knead with your hands until well combined, approximately 3 minutes, then let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
    3. Knead rested dough for 3 minutes. Cut into 2 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Place on a heavily floured surface, cover with dampened cloth, and let rest and rise for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature or for 8 to 24 hours in the refrigerator. (If you refrigerate the dough, remove it 30 to 45 minutes before you begin to shape it for pizza.)
    4. To make pizza, place each dough ball on a heavily floured surface and use your fingers to stretch it, then your hands to shape it into rounds or squares. Top and bake.

Last edited by dirtman; October 21, 2018, 02:09 PM. Reason: Added video

Nice. Enjoyed the video and the commentary!

Comment

• dirtman
      dirtman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I often take photos and forget to post. Trying to get better at sharing!

nice - thanks for posting.

any chance you can measure what the footprint measurements of that oven are (I mean where the feet sit, not the actual oven dimensions)?

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Thank you for sharing. I have been thinking about getting into pizza lately.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I posted that thing here before when it was on sale. A lot of people pointed out how little room would be left once you had a fire in there. Another option is just using your kettle. Toss in some wood. A pizza stone. a little extra time and you're going to get great results with or without a pizza attachment. However, I would love to hear someone review that fish.

• Histrix
          Histrix commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack - last I heard was that a new version of the Blackstone oven is in the works but no announced timeline for when it will hit the streets.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, the way they announced it made it sound like it wouldn't be out anytime soon if at all. But hopefully, I'm wrong. Histrix

Did you feel going from wood pellets to gas had any flavor change? Maybe minor and worth the gas convenience.

Comment

Here's my question dirtman , does it really take an hour to come to temp? My gas fired pizza oven is at 900f in ten minutes.

Comment

One other question I have is how hot the exterior of this thing is when it is fired up. I would think with the ceramic insulation it might not be crazy hot. Still hot but not like a hot coal hot.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
            BriggsBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I was thinking of putting it on the cart side of my weber performer deluxe that has a metal top. Should be I think. I was looking at the pro with the pizza month special. On your pro do you do charcoal or wood?

• New2Cue
            New2Cue commented
            Editing a comment
            Did anyone end up buying the pro package with this month’s deal? I’m considering it...

• BriggsBBQ
            BriggsBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I passed. If I had more space in my garage I would. I live in a townhome so space is a factor. However I think in the next year we will move to the burbs and I will buy one of these.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here