Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modified Gas oven pizza??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modified Gas oven pizza??

Too wet to fire up the Ooni tonite, but was wondering... if I pre-heated a pizza stone in a 500 oven, THEN,... top rack broiler for a few minutes to get the stone super hot , THEN,... slide a Napolitan style pizza on the stone under the broiler , would the results be similar to the Oonie 2 minute pizzas?? Anyone tried it yet?? (BTW It's a gas oven.)

We don't have an Ooni so I cant' compare, but we do have a pizza stone we use in the oven. The key is a long preheat to allow the stone to store energy--like an hour at 500+. We never used the broiler. Pizzas come out great. Did your stone come with instructions for using it in the oven? If so, I'd just go with those.

Comment

I also regularly make pizzas in our home oven and use cast iron pizza pans (on separate grates, one over the other), rather than a stone. I put in the pans and crank up the heat to 550. Takes about 45 min to get that hot. Then I let them 'bake' for about 30-45 min while I make the pizzas (I would imagine a stone takes longer). I then throw the pizzas on the pans, using parchment paper, and lower the heat to 500. Takes about 12 minutes to cook. Turns out great. Kids love 'daddy pizza' better than any place we have locally, which I take as a win.

I don't like heating up the house in the summer, so I take a modified approach on the gasser, if anyone's interested.

Comment

• RlsRls
        RlsRls commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Just to amend, I've cooked dozens of indoor pizzas on stones, pans, cast iron etc.. in our gas oven with great results. However tonite I'm trying to replicate the Oonie 2 minute cook process indoors. Just wondering if anyone has tried it. wish me luck!

I've typically used a baking steel when cooking indoors. I've done something similar to what you mention here - preheat the steel for an hour, and then bake using the broiler. I haven't been able to get it down to two minutes, but others may have. My process has been to use the oven setting for two minutes, then turn on the broiler for one to two minutes to color the top of the pie.

Comment

• Mark V
        Mark V commented
        Editing a comment
        I am similar to you, but once my cast iron pizza pan is heated I switch to broil immediately and put the pizza in. Takes 4-5 minutes depending on toppings. I haven't had pizza from an ooni so can't compare, but I am very happy with what I turn out. I would guess that this method does not match Ooni results but probably close enough that I am not going to run out and get another cooker. I also know that I would not use an Ooni in the winter here, it would be too much hassle for a 90 second cook.

• NumbWhistle
        NumbWhistle commented
        Editing a comment
        I have an outdoor oven (Carbon Oven), that I bought a couple of years ago. It's great, but when people think about outdoor ovens they have to consider their use case and desired outcomes. Unless you want the characteristics of a Neapolitan pizza (soft airy crust), you may be better suited to cook on a steel, a stone, or in a cast iron pan indoors.

My primary reason for doing most of my pizza making outdoors now is that I tend to get flour in various parts of the oven, and cleanup was a pain.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here