Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ooni Frya First Burn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooni Frya First Burn!

The Ooni Frya that I bought with Air Canada points arrived much sooner than I'd expected so I ran out and grabbed some pellets and fired it up to do the initial burn off. I'm impressed! The centre of the stone was around 800*F in just about 15 minutes, and it fits so well on my prep station you'd think it was made for it. Looking forward to using it and I'm sure I'll be eating some overly charred crusts until I get the hang of turning the pizzas.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220502_151439.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	1215417
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220502_151449.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.63 MB ID:	1215418
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220502_151459.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	1215416
    Last edited by pkadare; May 2, 2022, 01:58 PM.

No overly-charred pizzas for you. Seconds, give them only seconds, then turn! Yum. Congrats on the nice new toy.

Comment

Congrats. Lookin' forward to the photos with a wee bit of envy.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m jealous too, but my rational side knows I’d be fatter’n I am already if I had one.

Excited for you. I have the Koda and love it.. can't wait to bust it back out now that winter is finally gone

Comment

Wow - this looks like a cool use for pellets. I had always thought I would want a propane version of the Ooni, but maybe the pellet fired one is a good way to go if it heats up that fast. I've used my kamado for pizza, but let's be honest - it takes me 45 to 60 minutes to get it up to 700 degrees, and a LOT of lump to boot. And 3 starter cubes.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          My wife would kill me if I bought a pizza oven. I’m gonna plot my year long pout, though. Maybe she will give in. While I like the idea pellets, I always have about 7 bags of charcoal and now 4 propane tanks for the Blackstone. I think if I tried to store pellets, too - yikes.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          tbob4 haha I would be killed too! I’ll continue to use the kamado or the oven for pizza. I don’t make it all that often anyway…

I love my Ooni. Very fun.

Comment

I have both the Ooni using pellets and the Ooni Pro using wood chunks. Absolutely love them both! They heat super fast and cook unbeleivable pizzas.

Comment

I have been eyeing this one for a while. It's relatively portable (22 lbs), has a not overly large footprint, and seems to just need 5 oz (two handfuls, as per the manual) of pellets. (Not sure how many pizzas this does, but this oven should cook them pretty quickly at the temps it run!)

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              My reading of the manual indicates that the 5 oz quantity is for the initial lighting. Apparently a full hopper will burn for 15 minutes.

• Michael_in_TX
              Michael_in_TX commented
              Editing a comment
              This is some serious burning compared to the rate of a typical pellet grill!

Purdy piece of equipment! Rill nice! 👍

Comment

Now yall got me watching reviews of this thing. Anyone know why the "smokestack" is so tall? I'm sure there must be a physics reason for it.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Draft to get those temps…

New cooker day!

Comment

I've been looking at this exact model. Looking forward to seeing your opinion.

Comment

This looks great. I already scratched an itch this year, but my wife is already convinced that a pizza oven needs to be in our future. So that battle is actually already won. I just need to build the patio/outdoor kitchen it's going into.

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Its so great when you have SWMBO condoning MCS!

The nice thing with the Ooni is it can be setup on any table top or cart, and put away when not in use.

And when it's too cold or something outdoors, use this indoors: https://www.breville.com/us/en/produ...BPZ820BSS1BUC1

Comment

• rickgregory
                    rickgregory commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Potkettleblack all pizza ovens are, though. If you're really into pizza and especially if you don't have good pizzerias nearby, these are fine (the Breville is VERY $$ of course). And the Ooni and Breville both require someone to really want Neapolitan style since you can do a fine NY pie in a home oven.

Me, I like 'za fine but I have a very good NY style place about a mile away, so... #shrug.

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you have a wood burning fireplace, I think you could open the flue and set the Ooni up inside the fireplace for winter pizzas, assuming the Ooni flue isn't taller than the inside top of your fireplace.

• pkadare
                    pkadare commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I may have better luck getting this Breville pizza oven past my CFO. :-)

Looking for the portable pizza oven that makes THE most mouthwatering Neapolitan pizza? It’s right this way! Fast and free delivery throughout Canada.

Super cool PK

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here