Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood fired pizza oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood fired pizza oven

I know many people try to convert or buy accessories to make their grills or smokers into pizza ovens but about 7 years ago I decided after much money and attempts to break down and buy a "real" pizza oven. I ended up buying a Maximus pizza oven. It semi portable, I have had to make a few modifications to it but I am very pleased. We have lost count of how many pizzas we have cooked in it. It’s also great for other meals such as chicken and pork. If there is interest I will post everything I have learned along the way and some of my favorite recipes.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CaptGreg; August 15, 2021, 08:46 AM.

Nice rig! What kind of mods have you made? We always love to see those.

Comment

I love the fire picture! That is a nice looking oven.

Comment

Yes! Please share more.

Comment

Hells yes, there's interest!

Comment

Modifications: The oven is made in Portugal and for some reason it comes with terracotta tiles in the bottom. They send extras so when one breaks you can replace it. This should be a giant red flag. If they are sending you extras it means they know there is an issue. After 4 times use it it I used my extras. I did a ton of research and found real fire bricks in close to the same size I needed. The end ones I had to use a buddy’s tile saw to trim. This made a difference in how the oven heated up and how the floor of the oven heats. It takes an extra 5-10 min. Depending how I do lighting the fire. The plus is that it holds heat longer now.

The second modification was to the retaining metal. It’s a piece of metal about 16 inches long that is used to retain the fire on one side. You can see the original in the fire picture. The part that came is cheap and thin. The thin is needed to slide it under the fire but I found when I put this in sometimes it cut airflow and the fire suffered. The sulk on was to make another one out of a bit heavier SS and drill holes in the vertical part to allow airflow. We debated it much longer than we should have. (I recall a 12 pk) The decision was made to drill baby drill! Anyway the end result was I think slightly better airflow. I will take pictures of the modifications later and post.

Comment

I've been wanting to build a wood oven. My current plan is to build it myself and have a parrilla with an adjustable grill (like a Santa Maria grill) off the right side and a prep surface off the left side. I might even make it a corner unit - wood oven as the center and the grill and work surface coming off each side to form a 90 degree corner set up.

Comment

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                We had planned a fire brick pizza and bread oven. Already to go and then the mason goes off and dies on us. Hopefully this winter or spring.

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Donw, damn subs are so unreliable.

I bought the clemente clementine earlier this year and I am totally enjoying wood fired pizzas this summer,

Comment

I was using the firebox of my Lonestar smoker and spending $60+ on wood for an evening of pizzas. Then I bought the Ooni pellet-fired pizza oven on sale for $200 bucks and make better pizzas for a couple bucks and a lot less work. I've seen some bad reviews for it, but you won't see one from me. I think those are people who never made wood fired pizza the hard way and expect it to be foolproof. It takes a little practice like anything else. I've used the heck out of it for 2 1/2 years and it's still going strong.

Comment

I use two dough recipes. The one I use depends on how much time I get from being told I need to be social and people are coming to the house ...and pizza is on the menu. My "short" turn around is Bobby Flay's basic pizza dough recipe. You can google it so I don't take up space here with it. The second is my 24 dough. I can’t recall where I acquired this one from but whenever I make it I get compliments.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wood oven cooked pizza sauce.

Several sprigs of fresh basil leaves
                    1 medium yellow onion thin sliced
                    1 28 ounce can of Whole peeled San Marzano Tomatoes
                    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

I use my small cast iron dish (picture attached) with the slices of onion, then the basil leaves on top of the onion. Lastly I line the tomatoes on top. I will pour some of the sauce they come in but not overload the dish. I put this in the wood oven for 15-30 min depending on my fire. I look for a light char on top of the tomatoes and its bubbling. You can smell when the onion and basil are cooked. Pull the dish out of the oven pour it all into a mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and use an immersion blender to mix. If you do not have an immersion blender a regular one will work. ****Be VERY careful blending!!!! this is very hot and will cause burns if your blending is not done safely****

This is the base sauce I use for all my pizzas, I know some people like garlic in their sauce, you can slice the garlic and put it in the onion layer.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I just like the fact that its called the MAXIMUS ...that's totally bad ass ......

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here