Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natural Gas Ooni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Natural Gas Ooni

Hi,

Looking at getting an Ooni Koda 16 and I see a natural gas conversion kit is available. Has anyone tried it?

I know natural gas can burn a bit cooler, that's why you change the jetting to allow more gas into the burner in order to compensate.

I'm already set up with the natural gas line and the quick connects so that is not a concern, I'm mostly interested in the convenience of not dealing with propane.

Thanks in advance

Tim

Propane has around 2500 btu's per cubic foot, natural gas around 1000, so it's just under half the equivalent energy per unit measure. That's the reasoning behind having a larger orifice to increase the amount of fuel to achieve similar temperature. My propane fueled 16 can exceed 1000 degrees on the stone in the corner nearest the two flame fronts. If they've sized the orifice correctly you should be able to get respectable temps similar to propane performance. Have you messaged them to see what their performance claims are comparing the two fuels?

Comment

• Mister C
      Mister C commented
      Editing a comment
      Bit of an aside here, but how do you like your 16? I was debating between the two, the normal Koda at 12" seems a little tight, but the difference in price is sizeable...

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      The 12 would be fine for "personal size" pizza. The 16 gives sufficient working room to regulate the cook better. I do 10-12" pies, and tend to use the forward right portion of the stone so that the bottom gets cooked properly while the upper crust and toppings can get a full cook without burning. Also the two flames vs the single is useful from my POV.

• Mister C
      Mister C commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting, and yeah, I'd like a little more space in there too if I could. Thanks for the info.

Not familiar with the Ooni. I know others here have some experience. See where you have been a member since 2018 but this is your first post. So an official welcome from Virginia!

Comment

In digging through the specs for the Ooni Koda 16, they rate it at 29,000 BTU's running on propane. When running on natural gas, they give the spec as 27297.13 BTU. So its slightly less heat on natural gas. That may mean reaching 900 instead of 950 for the max temperature, but probably not be a huge difference. For the convenience of natural gas, I would certainly go with it. I wish my natural gas hookup was near my current grilling area, and I would be converting my Camp Chef flat top over to it in a heartbeat.
      Last edited by jfmorris; July 7, 2021, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
        In digging through the specs for the Ooni Koda 16, they rate it at 29,000 BTU's running on propane. When running on natural gas, they give the spec as 27297.13 BTU. So its slightly less heat on natural gas. That may mean reaching 900 instead of 950 for the max temperature, but probably not be a huge difference. For the convenience of natural gas, I would certainly go with it. I wish my natural gas hookup was near my current grilling area, and I would be converting my Camp Chef flat top over to it in a heartbeat.
        Thanks for looking that up - I missed it on the Ooni website. There may not be much of temp difference at the end, it just might take a little longer to get there.

Thanks for the welcome David

Uncle Bob - thanks too - I thought I'd ask here first since there is a little more real world experience.

They are on back order right now in Canada - I'll order one and hopefully have it by the end of the summer.

Thanks again.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here