Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey

Would like to cook the turkey on the KBQ. Has anyone split the bird and cooked it as 2 halves? I’m not thinking it will fit in there spatchcocked

Haven't tried a whole turkey in the KBQ yet. But I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work.

Comment

I too was thinking about how to smoke a turkey on the KBQ but probably won't do it this Thanksgiving since COVID has cancelled most family plans. Although I think a smaller turkey would fit on one of the racks I was thinking about getting a round bar to span across the top rack slot so I could hang a larger one inside - kinda like the PBC users do.

Maybe one of the KBQ experts such as Ernest will chime in on this thread.
      Last edited by 58limited; November 17, 2020, 02:29 AM.

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        I had extra hooks from my PBC days that I use in my KBQ. I hang chickens, ducks, ribs etc with the hook to KBQ rack placed at the highest slot

To paraphrase the USPS, 'If It Fits It Smokes'!

If it won't fit whole, half or quarter it.

Comment

Ya, if you are worried about the fit spatchcocked, piece it out. That is the best way not to over cook the breast anyway. Separate the thighs/drums (keeping the whole together). If the breast section is still too big (which it should'nt be) chop it in half.
        Last edited by lostclusters; November 17, 2020, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Bogy
          Bogy commented
          Editing a comment
          lostclusters, one of the best turkeys I ever smoked was cut up like a chicken. More surface area for the rub and smoke. However, I don't think I've ever convinced anyone to try it.

I still don't understand all the rage about spatchcocked turkey. Here's my KBQ turkey. max out the knob and just let it rip!!
        KBQ holds 2 large turkeys comfortably.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	941470

Comment

• wcpreston
          wcpreston commented
          Editing a comment
          I like it because it gets smoke on more surfaces and it shortens the cooking time. The only thing you lose is the look of the turkey. If you get over that, I think it just makes everything easier.

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Ernest I am just now catching up, having been off the board for 6 months. Beautiful turkey, will have to try it. Do you 'ice pack' the breast while sitting on the kitchen counter for a few hours pre-cook? How did the breast vs thigh meat turn out? Thighs towards the manifold, wings towards the front? Dry brine? Thanks, Daniel

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great,

By the way, I have recorded temps as high as 390 degrees on both my KBQs. Perfect for birds

Comment

• OldSmokz
          OldSmokz commented
          Editing a comment
          I totally agree with what 58limited said.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          OK Ernest - I was just sitting down to watch the NBA Draft and I saw the photo which caused me to push "pause". Come on, man. Quit posting such beautiful pictures

Say Ernest, would you mind expounding a bit on the meaning of " Large Turkeys " . It would help us newbs out some.

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          17- 20 pounder is what I KBQed. I think that's a large bird. I could be wrong

• OldSmokz
          OldSmokz commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Ernest, That's good cause " small " birds are quite hard to come by this year. Happy Thanksgiving !

• wcpreston
          wcpreston commented
          Editing a comment
          Ernest That is indeed a large bird. Mine was "only" 16 LB LOL

So about 15 min per lb with the KBQ maxed? I realize it’s not exact but I’d like to be able to ballpark when to start it

Comment

Greatplainsbrewer give yourself 4 hours

Comment

Bird is just under 13 lbs. 4 hours seems long

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Just means you can move at a more leisurely pace!

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, let the dinner wine breath longer.

Ernest I have a 20 lb turkey and I am thinking of smoking it on the KBQ this year. I haven't done a turkey yet. I plan to brine it in an apple cider brine that I have used a few times.

Question: how do you set the poppet valves on the KBQ? Do you open the top one at all? I'll be using red oak with some hickory and maybe a little pear wood.

Comment

58limited I use just the bottom poppet fully open, temp knob maxed out. I'm not a fan of too much smoke on birds that's why I keep the top poppet closed

Comment

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Ernest Makes sense. I was thinking that using the top poppet would be too much smoke. Now, hopefully the weather cooperates. Do you baste the bird?
                Last edited by 58limited; November 10, 2021, 06:22 PM.

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                58limited no basting. Just let that bird enjoy the KBQ treatment

I would split it and put each half on a rack. Maybe rotate half way through the cook. I would have the temp cranked too and let it rip hot and fast. For me, I would have the top poppet open cause I like the smoke at those high temps. It tends to be pretty light when you are cooking that hot.

Comment

Ernest One more question: Any seasoning - inside or out? Oil/Butter on the skin? I'm brining mine overnight, did you brine or inject yours?

I just finished cutting a wheel barrow full of red oak for the cook, plus I have hickory, cherry, and apple wood logs and pecan chunks. Overkill I know but I'll be prepared for several other cooks. I might do a blend of all of these woods or stick mainly with the oak plus some hickory or pecan.

I detail cleaned the KBQ yesterday: pulled the rack brackets out and cleaned them front and back and removed the fan blades to get a good cleaning under them. General scrub down to get whatever my garden hose misses after each cook.

I pulled the turkey (20 lb) out of the freezer Friday night and placed in the fridge. I just checked it: Skin is soft otherwise still frozen. Hope it thaws by Tuesday.
                Last edited by 58limited; November 21, 2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My bad 58limited I'm just seeing this now. I'm a salt and pepper guy. On fancy days I'll through in some fresh herbs. What I do religiously is dry brine minimum 2 days

• 58limited
                  58limited commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No problem, I had a game plan and was curious about what you like to do.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here