Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still considering one - few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still considering one - few questions

I have been looking at getting a KBQ C-60 for a while, but ended up getting a larger smoker that can be left unattended for a few hours at a time.

But of course I still want a C-60. Isn’t that lovely how that goes?

I do have a couple of questions though. When I cook brisket, I have been putting them on a shallow hotel pan with a rack to keep it from sitting in the juices. The main reason I started doing this was to keep the juices from dripping on the brisket sitting on the rack below it (if I’m cooking more than one, obviously). It also makes cleaning easier. Since the racks in the C-60 are the same size as the hotel pan, does a hotel pan interfere with the smoke/heat circulation? I don’t see myself cooking more than 3 at a time in it, so I’d have brisket on top, pan on next slot down, brisket on next rack, pan, brisket, pan. Is there enough space for that? The website didn’t give much as far as dimensions that I noticed.

How low of a temperature can you reliably get? I like to smoke bacon sometimes, and I’m thinking about starting with sausage too. I have a pellet grill, but the lowest I can go is 180F.

Any good method to keep embers etc from being a hazard? Other than keeping it away from anything potentially flammable. Having to plug it in limits where I can put it.

Along those same lines, how much power does it use? I’m thinking a solar panel with a battery could run it and I’d be able to keep it a little further from the house and shed.

Three shallow pans should not pose an noticable issue inside the cook box. I use shallow pans in there all the time to prevent dripage.

I never tried to see how low the temperature can go but you should be able to set what ever temp you need. KBQ What do you think? I believe Spinaker use his to hold his cook until he is ready to serve.

You might be able to put a metal mesh around the opening to restrict embers. And with a long enough extension cord you could put a KBQ at your neighbors house.

Bill the designer has run his KBQ on a motorcycle battery. The power use is very small.
    Last edited by lostclusters; October 10, 2020, 10:37 AM.

Comment

I smoke all my sausage from 200 to 225 and we see zero quality loss or excess fat rendering.

I did the low temperatures years ago, the 150 to 155, and all it did was extend the cook time.

Comment

Lectrician here, who was captivated by th original question.

Tried HARD to find any kinda amp draw specs fer th KBQ, to no avail.

I'm sure it is extremely Negligible...

That bein said, I cain't even begin to imagine it drawin 1 amp, or so...fans is all that goin on, lectrically; th rest is all Smoke an Beers LOL
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 10, 2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• willxfmr
          willxfmr commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like you have a hankering for a slice or two of the good old Ohm's Law pie.

As Bones said, I can’t imagine it draws much power. An extension cord should get you as far as you’d like.

Comment

• Killa J
          Killa J commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven’t had the best luck with extension cords in the yard. For some reason, my kids (2 and 3) just HAVE to mess with extension cords when they see one. They seem to have no problem following the "stay away from the grills" part. But if it’s just the fan, battery and inverter will work for me.

• Santamarina
          Santamarina commented
          Editing a comment
          Killa J Say no more! I remember when my boys were that age...couldn’t plug a darn thing in if the cord was within their reach! 🤣

I use a Lion Energy LT model solar generator to run mine and it has no problem at all uses very little power.
        Never tried going as low on temps as your asking.
        Hotel pans fit I have one in the bottom of mine for easy cleaning. I think a pan in between briskets would effect the smoke but I've never done it.

Comment

Every time I see your avatar I lose concentration and this is no different. Too funny

Comment

If I get one, is the Q going to taste different than from my pellet grill? I’m kind of nervous that since it produces the cleanest smoke it might end up being about the same food with more work involved. I don’t dislike what comes out of my pellet grill. In fact, my wife likes it more than the food from any of my other smokers. But I’ve alway found it to be about 90% as good as when I smoke with wood and charcoal.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              It will taste way better than any pellet grill you have. Its not even close. The flavor is far deeper and more rich.

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto on that deep flavor and color.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Word.

With the use of the upper and lower poppet valves you can adjust the KBQ's smoke intake for pretty much any smoke flavor profile you want. Definitely better than any pellet cooker. But:

It must be tended every 20-30 minutes

You need to have a generous supply of wood to operate the KBQ.

Comment

• Killa J
              Killa J commented
              Editing a comment
              Does it use more wood than any other stick burner? When I use my big smoker as a stick burner, I need to add a split at least every 45 minutes.

• lostclusters
              lostclusters commented
              Editing a comment
              Does it use more wood than any other stick burner? IMHO Yes. Or at least that is my experience compared to the COS I have.

For long cooks I will start on a stick burner and move to my pellet cooker for convenience.

It sounds like a wonderful machine, and I would love to have one, however tend it every 30 minutes? Sounds like a miserable next day after cooking a brisket all night.

Comment

• Killa J
              Killa J commented
              Editing a comment
              I only do overnights in my pellet grill, no way I can stay up like that with work and kids. For anything longer than ribs, my plan is to smoke in the C-60 until bark is how I like it, then wrap and finish in the pellet grill.

• Razor
              Razor commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here. I could never make that commitment.

What you do makes sense. I guess technically you could probably even finish in your oven at that point and save the pellets?

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              This is why I use my offset less and less - I need sleep, and as much fun as sitting up all night with beer and a fire sounds, its not fun the next day when you are worn out. I've also done overnight smokes where I set an alarm to go off every 60 minutes, and had the Smoke wake me up with pit alarms, so I at most got little 30-40 minute naps. Not fun... I only use the offset for ribs and other cooks that are less than 6 hours now.

Using hotel pans in the C-60 does not effect he smoke. The louver at the back makes sure there is plenty of smoke going around in the smoker the whole time. There is more than enough room to do 3 briskets at a time and still use the pans to catch any dripping you want. (Although I think this set up is not needed, One pan at the bottom is fine, too each their own)

You an get he C-60 down to 180 F, with out a problem. I have recorded temps down to 150 F. It is really easy to do. We also don't recommend cold smoking....more on that here.

I would make sure to invest in a grilling mat to place the C-60 on. That will protect he ground around you. It is really not that big of a deal, as long as you are careful. Just like another time you are cooking with fire.

I have no idea how much power it uses but it cant be much. It probably pulls some amps when the induction fan starts, but not much. (1.3 amps is what is listed on the control box.) Honestly, I would just get a longer extension cord.

Comment

With mine, I’m using oak to smoke. The wood I received is approx. 18” long. I cut them in half and split as necessary to make logs from 2” in diameter to 4”. For a 4 1/2 hour cook I use about 5-6 of the original 18” pieces. I add wood about every 30 minutes or every other commercial break during football. Not very hard at all, even for a beginner like me.

Comment

Take a look at my post (#1591) in the KBQ - Has Landed. A picture is better than thousands of words.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here