Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ/Fireboard question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBQ/Fireboard question

Thanks to a couple stick burner threads, I've been looking through the KBQ - Has Landed thread with a little awe. The one thing I don't see in any pictures is probes anywhere. None attached to a rack or in any food cooking on the KBQ. I noticed in the review KBQ recommended just opening the door and using an instant read.

My question for those that have a KBQ, are you all just doing manual checking? Or have some of you been using your Fireboard, Smoke, Signals, etc. to monitor the cooker and food? If you have, did you have to modify the KBQ to accommodate?

I use 2 smoke units for a total of 4 probes. No mods necessary. The cords fit neatly through the upper right of left hand corner of the door opening.

Comment

• frigate
      frigate commented
      Editing a comment
      I use a two probe smoke unit just as lostclusters says.

Sometime early on, I noticed that I start smelling the aroma of the cook right around the time it's done. So, I just verify with the Thermapen and let that be my guide. Hasn't failed me yet.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy No worries. I have a 'Smoke' thermometer and used to hook it up. Now I just throw in the food then work on a project (or sometimes just sit and drink, well I guess that could be considered a project!) and check the coals and add wood, which is required monitoring with a KBQ. As for the food progress, I don't even bother with it until I know it's close to finishing time, which I am reminded of by my wife. So when are you getting a KBQ?

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      ComfortablyNumb, I'm not sure. I definitely don't need one, but something in me wants another crack at a stick burner and nothing like the COS I tried before. I'm trying to decide between a KBQ, a Lang, and Horizon/LSG. There's a Horizon classic 16 that needs a paint job and new handles pretty cheap close to me, but I'm trying to decide if I'd prefer what appears to be the best smoker in a KBQ or the possible versatility of an offset. I don't really need versatility with the WSCG and SmokeFire.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      I also have someone 2 hours away that said I could borrow their KBQ for a month or so to try it. I'm not sure 8-10 hours of total driving to get it and take it back in a month is worth borrowing it for though when I'm pretty sure I'd like it.

I run the probes/wires of my Maverick XR-50 through the small holes in the upper front corners of the cabinet.

Comment

Here is a picture from yesterdays cook of the wires coming out of the box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201011_114402.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	922767

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        frigate Thank You. I'm really thinking I want one of these.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here