Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biggest disappointment ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest disappointment ever

I was so excited when I got the email from KBQ that my unit was on the way. I couldn’t find any wood quick enough so I bought a cord of seasoned oak. Then the shipment was postponed 3 days. Then 2 days later I got an email saying It would be delivered by the end of day. None of this the fault of KBQ. I was so excited I went to Costco and bought a pack of St. Louis spareribs, 3 pack. I did each slab with a different rub to experiment. KBQ ran perfectly, I also put a probe in just to keep track of temps to see how they ran. 224-250 with 188 at about the 1:00 position. After about 4 1/2 hours I took them out. They passed the bend test with the meat cracking. My God they were awful. Each slab was horribly flavored and kind of mushy textured. We tried to eat them but could not. Flavors were bad, texture was bad, everything was wrong. I really don’t know what happened. So today I went and bought the cheapest spare ribs I could find and a small pack of Korean style beef ribs. I’ve sampled one beef rib so far and the trimmings from the ribs. OMG what a difference, they are amazing. Clean smoke only for now. They have been on 3 1/4 hours, I’m thinking they will be done in four. I’m not much of a picture taker but we’ll see.

Think you got some crappy meat? Doesn’t sound like a kbq issue

Comment

Stick with it. There still are some things that require a little experimenting but it is worth it.

Comment

I'm going with it was the meat. Good thing is Costco is really good about returns. Tell them what happened and you may be surprised with a refund.

As for the KBQ, there really isn't much room for error. The only adjustment you can make is the poppets. Start with only the bottom one open. If it isn't smoky enough for you, then open the top. If that makes it too smoky, don't run the top poppet open for the duration.

After that it's all up to you. You have to adjust the temperature and decide when to take out the food. Pro tip, don't let the firebox run low. The wood you add is your future coal bed, it needs time to coal. Also, keep the coals covering the holes in the bottom of the firebox, use your poker to push them around. BTW, a cool place to store your poker is in one of the little holes on the side of the firebox. Put it in the first one and have the handle over the control box.

Comment

• Ronaldf123
          Ronaldf123 commented
          Editing a comment
          ComfortablyNumb, I think for this time I am going to blame the meat. The spareribs that I bought for the second cook, along with the beef ribs, came out great. As far as the fire I thought it was super simple. I set knob with the 188 about 1 o’clock. Wood coaled up perfectly. I went out to check about every 30 min, turned everything off, moved coals around and added logs if needed. Just need to learn when to take things off.

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Ronaldf123 Well, I'm really sorry your first cook went bad, especially when we have such high expectations. But congratulations on the success of your second. It will all just get better!

I've never had a bad package of ribs from Costco, but there is always the possibility.

Don't be offended by this -- Did you do any kind of a burn-in of the new smoker? Wondering if the bad taste was all the manufacturing oils burning off and getting onto your ribs.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          No, it's stainless steel and laser cut.

• Ronaldf123
          Ronaldf123 commented
          Editing a comment
          BruceB No I did not, I was too much in a hurry so I can possibly attribute that to the cause also. At least the second cook came out a whole lot better and I’m looking forward to getting better each time.

• BruceB
          BruceB commented
          Editing a comment
          Ronaldf123 That might explain the bad taste, but probably not the off texture. I can't think that even though it's laser cut stainless that there isn't some sort of coating or preservative on it to keep it looking pretty when brand new.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here