Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Time Using

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Using

I want to thank everyone who has posted here about KBQ. I got mine on Tuesday and today was my first run. I learned about what temp to set it at, using lump charcoal at the bottom. Filling the firebox, tending to the coals to make sure they are flat at the bottom, how to run the thermometer through the top corner of the door and how to use the poppets. I would have been lost without all of your guidance. With that, I was amazed how my first smoke turned out. I have been using a pit barrel for the last few years and can't believe how much better it is. I did ribs and a tri tip and seared the tri tip over the firebox.
    Attached Files

Fantastic phots. Congrats!

Comment

• JLira66
      JLira66 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! Many of your comments helped me in my voyage.

Congrats.

Comment

I believe this is where HawkerXP would step in and say, "KBQ, KBQ, kbq!" Or something like that....

Comment

BTW, welcome to the KBQ fold. I managed to Google the beer you are drinking, are you from Sac? I used to live in the Bay Area before escaping to Washington. Haven't been able to use my KBQ since June, but the burn ban should expire next month and I have a lot of apple wood that needs to go.

Comment

• Santamarina
          Santamarina commented
          Editing a comment
          Good eye catching the Bike Dog.

• JLira66
          JLira66 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I am! We have finally had a weekend with healthy air. We have been looking at places in Woodinville

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          JLira66 I have a Victorina era house for sale in Colville. More elbow room then King County and still under 150 COVID cases for the county.

Congrats on the KBQ and a successful first cook. Looks great. The KBQ is still #1 on my wish list.

Comment

Have you ever had to make up your mind? Pick one and leave the other behind?
          Look so good I pick both,

Comment

• JLira66
            JLira66 commented
            Editing a comment
            That's like asking to pick only one of our dogs. They were both really tender and not dry at all.

• Uncle Bob
            Uncle Bob commented
            Editing a comment
            Here ya go..........at least one attaboy for the Lovin' Spoonful reference.

Looks great! ..., ..., ...?

Comment

Glad to hear it went well! After 5 years, I still love my KBQ. It is the best tasting smoker I have and there is nothing I'd rather use to smoke a brisket or some ribs. It kills it every time.

Comment

JLira66 what were your poppet settings?

Comment

• JLira66
                JLira66 commented
                Editing a comment
                Fully open since it wasn't a long smoke and wanted to make sure to get plenty of that flavor.

Great lookin cook! Yessir!

Comment

I keep looking at the title, 'First Time Using' and thinking it's been a long time since ofelles or I could make that claim...

Comment

• ofelles
                  ofelles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HEY! I resemble that remark!

Awesome. I’ve never used a KBQ, but would love to try one day.

Comment

Looks great. Congratulations!

Comment

Really nice lookin cooks, amigo! Great pics, as well...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here