Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperature discrepancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature discrepancy

So, after having a brisket finish way faster than expected last weekend, today I ran a little test. Threw an ambient probe into the cookbox, right around the middle rack where I typically put the meat. Fired up the KBQ and compared that probe to the one inserted into the top of the cookbox by the fans.

The result was, the ambient probe ran consistently 30-35 degrees higher than the probe that I typically follow. Which means that the brisket last weekend, instead of cooking at 240-265, was instead pushing 300 degrees for much of the cook.

This may not be news to a lot of those here, but it surprised me. I'm not sure there's a question here, but I thought I would offer it as a PSA to those like me who are relatively new to KBQ smoking. Looks like I'll be relying on a separate ambient probe from now on...

I find it to be true for all my cookers. The temp at the grate has nothing to do with temps measured anywhere else in the cooker. Hence, all my cooks have an ambient probe somewhere within a couple inches of the cook, but not close enough to be lowered by evaporation/condensation.

I admit, tho, that now there's so many things that I know how to setup and how they'll turn out that I've gotten lazy. Half the time I just use an instant read pen late in the cook to pull off at the right time. I haven't lost a patient yet.
    Last edited by JGo37; September 13, 2020, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      BTW re "the LOU", I figured that meant Louisiana but googling tells me it could mean St. Louis, or maybe it means something else entirely ?

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      zzdocxx It is in fact St Louis, Missourah...

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. With experience (Maniacally checking remote thermometers) you begin to learn when to start checking temps. After awhile you just know that when you set up your smoker to cook about "x" temp you don’t even need to check temps till "y" hours later

Good on you for doing the test. Everyone should know how their cooker cooks. Just makes it easier to cook the next level for great food. I ran a similar test on me pellet grill.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; September 13, 2020, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I have also seen pretty large differences between an internal probe and the one from the exhaust - at least at the start of the cook.

I put an Fireboard probe inside the KBQ, around the middle rack between the grate holder and the outside case. I would monitor the Fireboard probe and another Fireboard probe in the exhaust port. For the initial cook - they were at least 20F different - so I went with the internal. As the cook progressed (and the meats came up to temp) the difference became smaller and smaller.

I now only check the internal.

BTW, how did the brisket turn out!?

Comment

Originally posted by JGrana View Post
        BTW, how did the brisket turn out!?
        Meh, not bad. It definitely would have benefitted from some more smoke time.

I equated it to a Mission BBQ brisket. It was good, definitely edible, but definitely nothing to write home about.

Comment

I always run 2 probes on the grate.....One to run the Smobot and another to double check the one that runs the Smobot!!

Comment

Originally posted by pjlstrat View Post
            I always run 2 probes on the grate.....One to run the Smobot and another to double check the one that runs the Smobot!!
            Smobot, eh ? What will they think of next ?

Funny I started a thread on almost the same subject over in the pellet grill section a couple of days ago, glad to see from all the replies it isn't just me.

I learned that I like the wifi function when I started using the hookup with the Traeger, but of the Thermoworks options I think I like the long range RF without the wifi due to its dedicated monitor. OK just thinking out loud here, thanks for indulging me !

Comment

As stated above your temp variables from the grate to the lid to the back of the pit or at the exhaust are normal in every pit I have or had. My KBQ, Yoder, kJ, and pit barrel all have temp variations depending on where the prob is located. Near the protein but not too close obviously will be the most accurate for temp monitoring. I think it's good to do these tests to understand your pit. Once you get familiar with these variables I assume like many of us you'll to get a little "lazy" or confident in your abilities managing your cooks. We all want our temps to be pretty close to the target but also with the KBQ you will see some pretty heavy swings, it's just the way it's built to run.
              I do have to say that I've not had any bbq I like better than what I get from my KBQ, (Statements from my friends and family seem to agree) it is the king of my backyard.
              That said I've gotten to where close is good enough and I don't get too freaked out about rock steady temps. Just MHO.
              Last edited by hogdog6; October 6, 2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hogdog6 View Post
                As stated above your temp variables from the grate to the lid to the back of the pit or at the exhaust are normal in every pit I have or had. My KBQ, Yoder, kJ, and pit barrel all have temp variations depending on where the prob is located. Near the protein but not too close obviously will be the most accurate for temp monitoring. I think it's good to do these tests to understand your pit. Once you get familiar with these variables I assume like many of us you'll to get a little "lazy" or confident in your abilities managing your cooks. We all want our temps to be pretty close to the target but also with the KBQ you will see some pretty heavy swings, it's just the way it's built to run.
                I do have to say that I've not had any bbq I like better than what in get from my KBQ, (Statements from my friends and family seem to agree) it is the king of my backyard.
                That said I've gotten to where close is good enough and I don't get too freaked out about rock steady temps. Just MHO.
                Yeah I definitely expect the swings in temp with the KBQ. I figure it's not a big deal, and as long as my target temp is somewhere in the middle it should average out over the long-term.

I suppose I wasn't surprised to find the discrepancy, either. Like you and others have said, all pits have this. I think I just had too much confidence in the probe that was included and got a little complacent in thinking it was all I needed. Lesson learned.

The funny thing is, I'm thinking back on a bunch of other KBQ cooks I've done, pork ribs, beef ribs, etc. Almost all of them have finished far faster than I would have expected. I always just equated that to the "magic of the KBQ." Especially since the results were still better than I used to get on an electric or pellet smoker. Now I'm thinking, if ribs came out good with the temp too high, just wait until I dial that temp in!

Comment

I don't even put a probe in the cook box anymore. I usually set the dial to where it says 100 F and let it rip.

Comment

You are correct,I found about a 30 degree discrepancy. I posted it here:
                    I've been curious to see the temperature difference between the thermometer probe on top and the center of the cook chamber. I new the chamber temp was hotter, but wasn't sure by how much and how consistent the temp difference was. The top two temps in the screenshot are of the Karubecue.

I have no complaints, but more data is better

Comment

I agree with others here. Know your cooker. I dont use the probe as much as I probably should but I now have a good feel for temps on my cooker. At first, I surely used the probe next to the meat and learned alot about the cooker.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
                        I don't even put a probe in the cook box anymore. I usually set the dial to where it says 100 F and let it rip.
                        Wow, that's way lower than I typically have my knob set. What ambient temp does that give you?

Comment

This gives me temps between 240 -275. Roughly. 100 F is at about 11 O'clock. I have it marked on the control box.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9323.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	912710

Comment

• vtkess02
                            vtkess02 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That's crazy. Setting the knob on my KBQ at that point would give me a temp nowhere near 240-275. To get that range, I would typically have somewhere between 188 and 232 at the top, closest to the holes.

Marking the box once I get it dial in is a good idea....

On my KBQ 240-275 is at the 188 mark. The first picture is the off position on my knob. The second picture shows where 188 that gives me 240-275. Somewhere I remember KBQ Bill saying the numbers were a general guide.

Name:	20200919_182543[1].jpg
Views:	276
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	913361

Name:	20200919_182615[1].jpg
Views:	261
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	913362

Comment

• hogdog6
                            hogdog6 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            👍 As far as the temp numbers on the dial it is meaningless when compared to actual pit temp by design

• vtkess02
                            vtkess02 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yeah that's about what mine looks like. Did ribs yesterday, the ambient probe was running between 215 and 245 at pretty close to what your dial looks like.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here