Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little disappointed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Bill, Thanx for responding directly here. Great explanations of all I am doing wrong. I am using kiln dried wood from "Southern Fuelwood". They claim to be great for smoking. Several BBQ restaurants use them here in Florida. I will need to find a wood purveyor that's not too crazy expensive down here. Also been keeping BOTH poppets open as I thought that would give me more smoke flow. I will correct these 2 issues and give her another shot. Just did a set of KC Style using Killer Hogs rub. Flavor was great but ribs were too dry. Cooked to 203Ëš exactly but??? I'm sure some other folks seeing this will be learning something as well. Thanx again!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Joephoto; May 4, 2020, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, the KBQ is a convection oven, and things take less time to cook. Which no doubt could result in something getting a bit too dry.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I never worry about meat temp on pork ribs. I cook to bend test and probe test (probe goes in like a knife into butter). I think cooking ribs to temp will overcook them if you have quality meat.

It took me a couple cooks to get dialed in as well. My 2 cents is make sure the meat is cold, as it takes on more smoke and also, if you are using the probe port on the top, it is about 30 degrees cooler than the cook chamber.

Comment

As one who was borned, by a quirk of Fate, in KCMO, I would humbly ask if ya would share yer receipt fer KC Style ribs???

I'd absotively LOVE to hear yer spin on such, if'n ya'd be so kind as to share.

I'm curious as to th ingredients/methodology/technique...mebbe I been makin em all my life, blissfully unaware, an ignorant, an jus thought bout em as ribs???
      Or,(drool) there could be new, definin thangs fer me to learn. That's when thangs git th most excitin, fer me lol!

Also, always interestin to see what others perceive as a local, or cultural style, an their interpretations/modifications/improvements/mods/twists/etc. This is largely what makes cookin excitin, fer me, instead of a daily chore.
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 9, 2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Hey there, hope this finds you and yours all safe and well,

Late to the party here, but a few comments that I did not find in the thread - but they certainly may be there and I missed them:
        • Doubling down on the cold, wet product: smoke sticks better to wet product, especially cold product that drives some condensation, so room temp on the meat/smokee is not a good idea for smoke or food safety. Consider water or apple juice before dusting.
        • Clean smoke is blue and barely visible, but still very flavorful with a clean taste.
        • Tuffy Stone, BBQ Star, teaches that smoke is a seasoning like salt or pepper. Decide what how much for each different cook.
        • He also smokes for just 2 hr +/-, then wraps 'em up Texas Crutch style to finish (Tuffy and Meathead can duke it out on running temp(s) of 275 vs 225). My results improved a lot on the KBQ with the crutch - still great flavor and chewiness, and now a perfect level of moisture instead of a bit dry - and, dang, fall off the bone without disintegrating off the bone or very still attached to the bone. Great bark too.
        • Strong recommendation on the BBQ Stars series. Learned a TON of good knowledge. I'm an always-learning outdoor cook with a lot of experience and pretty darn good, considering that my friends and family call it the best BBQ they've had even compared to some very reputable, professional places.
          • A ton of great knowledge from Meathead and the Amazing Ribs Team
          • Another ton of great knowledge from the BBQ Stars series
          • = considerably better, more consistent results. I think my plan and cook way better now and anticipate important factors
        Best,
        Ken
        Last edited by KenYz; June 15, 2020, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Joephoto
          Joephoto commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanx Ken

Thank you to everyone who responded to my query. So now I have another question. Do I post it here or create a new topic? Thanx

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          A question about what? Look in the channels section and post under topic your question falls under. Cookers, meats, charcoal...………..

• lostclusters
          lostclusters commented
          Editing a comment
          Posts about the kbq should go under stick burner/kbq

Ok will do thanx

Comment

I realize this is an old thread, and the experts have already given some good advice, but just wanted to add one point: The KBQ design is to eliminate as much creosote as possible before getting to your food. That’s a primary reason I purchased one of these units. But a lot of people expect some creosote flavor when they are done cooking. A perfectly managed stick burner (only clean smoke) would have a similar flavor profile to the KBQ, but that’s a hard measure to meet. I’ve been in BBQ restaurants where I can taste the creosote, but many people, not only are accustomed to the flavor, they expect it. Neither situation is right or wrong. More an individual preference.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here