Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long Hold Faux Cambro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Hold Faux Cambro

My apologies if this has been covered before. I have searched both here and abroad without finding what I would consider a confident answer.

I am continuing to work on my brisket in the hopes of pulling off both quality and consistency. I am mainly using the latest tips from our BBQ Bill. The main issue I have run into is the recommended hold of 10-18 hours at 148 degrees. The smaller electric smokers that may allow this won’t fit a Packer and I’m reluctant to invest in a larger 40”. My thoughts are going to the use of a heating pad in a cooler with a notch having been made to allow for a cable to route between the lid and cooler body. If I want a moist environment then I can load the surrounds with dampened towels versus just dry.

Has anyone come up with a better method for a longer active hold versus passive?

Thanks

"The main issue I have run into is the recommended hold of 10-18 hours"

I think the recommended is like 1-4 hours, which can essily be achieved in decent cooler

Comment

Do you have a warming drawer in your oven?

Comment

Yeah that hold feels too long. I'd use a cooler, preheat it by running hot water in it, then wrap the brisket in foil, then towels and stuff it in the cooler (without, obviously, the water in it).

PS: Just checked Aaron Franklin and his recommendation for holding is this:

“
        Judging carry-over and resting times is like trying to predict the future. Carry-over can be tricky on a large piece of meat, as you don’t want it to continue cooking so much that it becomes overdone as it rests. The idea is to think about how much momentum the meat has. Did you cook it hot and fast? If you did, carry-over will go further than it will if you were cooking low and slow, in which case there may be very little continuation.
        Important to consider is where the meat will rest. On a hot table out in the sun on a Central Texas summer day? Or on a cool marble countertop inside an air-conditioned kitchen with an overachieving ceiling fan? If it’s the former, you may not want to cook the meat as long, given the resting conditions. Many factors play into calculating resting time and carry-over. So use your best judgment and remember, just because you pull something at 203°F doesn’t mean that that’s you.

Let a brisket rest until the internal temperature is between 140°F and 145°F. At this point you can serve the brisket or continue to let it rest for a couple of hours without losing any of its character. Indeed, a good, solid rest for a couple of hours may actually improve the meat.
        ”

Excerpt From: Aaron Franklin. "Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto." Apple Books.
        Last edited by rickgregory; February 25, 2020, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I’ve held brisket in my kitchen oven on "warm," which translates to 170°F. Hotter than I’d like, but by pulling from the pit just a bit early I’ve held them for up to 12 hours and still had great food!

Makes it much easier to get great barbecue and still get some sleep at night!

I’m considering a used electric warming oven - something that can hold at 140/150°F so I don’t have to worry about overcooking or temps dropping into the danger zone.

Comment

Curious as to where you're seeing a hold time of 10 to 18 hours.

Comment

I posted a question on this some weeks ago. I think goskers refers to something I read by BBQ Bill here in the fourm about his preferred M.O. on briskets.

Following with interest!

Comment

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                Henrik - took me a while to find this since you tagged the wrong BBQ_Bill. The KBQ one has an underscore in his screen name. :-)
                I think you're referring to this post - https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...et-discoveries which gives a hold time of 8 to 10 hours rather than 10 to 18 hours. Still seems excessive to me however.

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks pkadare, I tagged the wrong guy :-) And yets, that is the post I'm referring to.

I don't think a heating pad is going to work. 148 degrees is only 8 degrees above the danger level for food. I'd be very leery of holding this long at that temp. It is quite possible over that time period, due to the on and off nature of most things you're going to use to hold that temp that over 10 to 18 hours, you may well be in the danger zone for a long enough combined period that you'd be in trouble. If you really want to do this then one suggestion would be a sous vide circulator in a cooler that is big enough to hold the brisket. A SV machine, assuming it has enough wattage to heat the volume of water required will hold that temp within a degree or so for the entire time.

Comment

I hold my briskets for minimum 2 hours to maximum 4 hours after that its hard to keep the ravenous wolves at bay.
                Usually there is something in the oven when I pull brisket so it goes on the cook top and gets covered in oven mitts and towels until I cut it. I could plan ahead and have a cooler ready....like that's going to happen.....
                Agree an 8-12 hour hold time seem excessive but everyone's serving situations are different.

Comment

Bill holds it that long in a Master Built electric for 8-10 hours at 148, not in a cambro. Apples and oranges??? Did I read something wrong?

Comment

Not sure why you would hold a brisket that long. That seems very excessive to me.

If I am going to hold a brisket for a long time, I will pre heat my Yeti with boiling water, then add the meat, then pack it with towels. That works well enough for a 6 hour hold. Again 10-18 hours seems to be very excessive. Like pkadare suggests, sous vide might be a better route as you could hold the exact temp for hours and hours. I would think a hold at that temp, for that long would result in a mushy crumbling brisket. (I have never done it so I may be speaking out of turn, but that would be my educated guess.)

Comment

Here is thread link that has a lot of discussion on holding, etc. I'm not sure if you have seen it yet.

So, I’ve been contemplating something bbq related. If (big if) one were inclined to smoke and serve brisket 3 consecutive days of the week, how and for how long can one hold a brisket before serving? I seem to recall Aaron Franklin smoking his briskets, and then holding them in electrical warming cabinets for 12 hours or so

BBQ_Bill has some great input too, if i find that thread I'll edit and put the link here.

Comment

If you have a temperature controlled heating cabinet a long hold like that isn't a problem. But in my experience anything longer than 6 hours wrapped in towels in a cooler leads to degradation in quality. I had some briskets finish super fast a few weeks back and had to hold them 9 hours (temp was 145 when I checked them before slicing). They still tasted great but the texture was slightly off. Not inedible by any means but not as good as a 2 or 3 hour hold.

Comment

Thanks to all for the responses. Yes, the first reference was to BBQ_Bill and his pursuit of results like that of Franklin’s. Franklin does a long hold on their brisket. When done they try to get the brisket down in temp within a couple of hours. They then hold at ~150 for a long time.

Why I am wanting to figure this out is for two reasons; executability and quality.

If I can figure out a long hold then I can finish a days long smoke at midnight and be ready to serve lunch the next day.

If Franklin is doing it then there is likely a reason for quality. He already has a night shift and the capacity so timing wouldn’t be the reason for doin so.

Comment

• rickgregory
                          rickgregory commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Read the above quote from Aaron's book. Key part:

"Let a brisket rest until the internal temperature is between 140°F and 145°F. At this point you can serve the brisket or continue to let it rest for a couple of hours without losing any of its character. Indeed, a good, solid rest for a couple of hours may actually improve the meat."

• goskers
                          goskers commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You are very correct. This is not what he does at their restaurant nor what is represented on the videos online. I would consider both to be effective as there are parties practicing both.

• rickgregory
                          rickgregory commented
                          Editing a comment
                          But I think it shows that a long hold isn't critical. Restaurants can afford to use specialized hold ovens etc that move of us don't have and aren't going to buy.

I think you should do experiments. For science. Cook briskets with hold times of 2,4, 8 and 12 hours. Eat the evidence.
                          Last edited by rickgregory; February 26, 2020, 08:19 PM.

I broke down today and purchased a Masterbuilt 40” electric smoker today from Academy Sports. A decent sale is going on and I got the floor model 20% off because the back panel was slightly damaged. I now have a long hold device with decent control that I can play with.
                        Look out perfect brisket as I’m coming!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here