Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Beef Roast Should I Serve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Beef Roast Should I Serve?

My KBQ is sitting in my basement unassembled. I’d like to use it to prepare a meal for a dinner party we’ll have a week from today, rather than using one of my other patio cookers. Since I have absolutely no experience with the C-60, I’m asking for help in selecting a cut of meat and the companion recipe.

I’d like to serve beef, preferably a Beef Tenderloin, a Ribeye Roast, a New York Strip Loin Roast or a Prime Rib Roast. Please offer up your favorite recipe; trim, rub, wood choice, pit temperature and any other important information.

I know it’s bold of me to ask so much and an imposition on you to comply, but I’d kinda’ like to showcase the KBQ and I don’t see another way, given the short timeline.

Thanks.

If you'd ask a kettle question, I'd be all in and not feeling tasked at all. Good luck on your journey - I don't have the pellet bug.

Comment

I don’t have a kbq...but if I was doing a roast I’d follow Meatheads advice on the free side. Keep the temps low, 200-225, to keep the roast a nice even medium rare all the way through. Whatever kinda roast you prefer. If you really wanna showcase the kbq, I’d suggest something like short ribs or brisket.

Comment

It would help if we knew how many people you are talking about. A whole prime rib will serve more than a whole tenderloin. Of course, you could always cut the larger cut into smaller cuts, or buy more than one smaller piece.

Personally, I have found a prime rib to always be a good choice and crowd pleaser.

Comment

I did a rib roast not to long ago. It was a 3 ribber about 6.5lbs I took it off at 125 and put it on a platter and covered with foil. Final temp was a nice mr 133. Big Hint: cut the meat off the bones and tie it back on for roasting. It will make for easier cutting at the table I smoke all of my meat now at 275 and notice no difference from 225. Some, including competition smokers are going over 300.

Comment

I don't have a KBQ but I can tell you that the photos of Prime Rib coming from the KBQ'ers here are fantastic. I would stay away from a New York roast only because I have found them to be inconsistent in tenderness. I love the marbling and break-away fat on a Prime rib-eye roast. I can't get that typically with a Prime New York roast.

Comment

I tell you what, I don't own a KBQ to knwo what will cook up best on it, but I have a sneakin' suspicion ANY of the aforementioned will be mighty tasty at medium rare with a 1/2tsp/lb Kosher salt dry brine and a dash of either Meathead's Big Bad beef Rub or his Mrs O'Learey's Cow Crust. And if you invited me over, I'd be thrilled as pie to enjoy any. My first choice personally of all the above would be prime rib though, followed by strip loin.

Comment

No KBQ, but I always go for a prime rib or rib roast. Remove the bones. If you insist on serving with bones, tie them on, I prefer off as I get more crust. I trim it, dry brine it, and chill it for 2 days. Then I slather in hot sauce, or Worcestershire sauce (if serving wimps) then cover heavily in my brisket rub. It gets smoked over mesquite/oak until 120°, then pulled and allowed to cool down. 30 minutes before service, it goes into a 500° convection oven for 30 minutes to sear the outside (elevated on a rack of course). After that, I immediately slice and serve with a horseradish sauce. Never fails to get an ovation. Tip: my brisket rub is super coarse, think steak rub. Maybe substitute Montreal steak and apply it heavy at the dry brine step with the hot sauce or Worcestershire sauce as the binder since it contains salt.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                  Ahumadora commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, texastweeter knows a thing or 2. He is a highly tuned smoking machine...

• FishTalesNC
                  FishTalesNC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You do NOT mess around, sir!

In response to a question (although I'm not certain why it's of pivotal importance—I can cook two of something for a huge crowd or 1/2 for just a few people), there will probably be 9 adults and two 7-year olds. I'm comfortable with large leftovers so I always cook more than necessary.

Comment

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Are you a Costco member and have access at your Costco to a good Prime beef selection?

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  7 bone roast.

Anything you listed would be great. As stated above any of those rubs. One of my favorite rubs for those meats would be Spade L Beef Marinade Rub don't know if it's available in your area it is an excellent commercial rub. I'd go hot and fast top poppet closed. I don't like a lot of smoke on those cuts.
                Side note: I'm a huge fan of chuck roast in my KBQ definitely not as decadent as those you listed but if cooked like a brisket they are excellent. I like them sliced across the grain or I cube and sauce them putting it them back in the smoke to make a style of burnt ends. Happy smoking.

Comment

No clue on the KBQ. I think some one said they like to run hot.

If I was you I’d put that sucker together in a hurry and get through a test run or two. A week may as well be tomorrow.

i would also shy away from the tenderloin. Consider a 5 boner rib roast and perhaps a couple of spatchcocked birds for contrast. Can this thing zap some thighs or wings?? I don’t know.

A mashed potato with way too much butter, salt and cream, caramelized Brussels or KBQ squash. Honey nut squash, butternut etc...

rib roast is rich so throw some root veggies in that sucka and bring it home for the win. Smoke some garlic and blend it with your butter to finish the veggies or meat.

wow sorry, started down a rabbit hole. Parachute deployed.3

Comment

• IowaGirl
                    IowaGirl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If anyone has the right to go down that rabbit hole, you do. Love hearin' your foodie thoughts. I'm good at getting the main meat nailed, but my weakness is rounding out the rest of the menu.

Okay...I've decided to serve a prime rib roast. The roast is quite large so it appears to require a full size pan below it to capture the drippings for au jus.

On what shelves should I place the roast and pan?

EDIT: I usually trim the fat cap back and smoke it with the remaining fat down. Same on the KBQ?
                  Last edited by pmillen; November 8, 2019, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• pmillen
                    pmillen commented
                    Editing a comment
                    texastweeter, I agree that the fat cap should always be toward the heat. The Karubucue (this forum section) operates much like a convention oven with a hot breeze blowing around inside the pit, so I'm not certain that I can say. I've read that the bottom of the chamber is warmer than the top. The middle rack seems like a good idea. Thanks for the prompt reply.

• hogdog6
                    hogdog6 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes hotter on the bottom. I like to cook meat side down until the bark starts to set then flip fat down to finish. Middle shelf is where I'd cook it.
                    Best tip I can give is keep an eye on the coal bed, you always want it covering the bottom of the fire chamber. Enjoy the cook I'm confident you'll, do just fine.
                    Last edited by hogdog6; November 8, 2019, 10:49 PM.

• pmillen
                    pmillen commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sent private message, Craigar.

I wouldn't experiment with a new cooker on a crowd. Go with what you know and try something new later.

Comment

• pmillen
                    pmillen commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Excellent advice, Bkhuna. However, I can't ignore the KBQ. The pellet pit and Kamado will be idle.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here