Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Karubecue temp PSA....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karubecue temp PSA....

I've been curious to see the temperature difference between the thermometer probe on top and the center of the cook chamber. I new the chamber temp was hotter, but wasn't sure by how much and how consistent the temp difference was. The top two temps in the screenshot are of the Karubecue.
    Attached Files

Wow! About a 50 degree difference. Thanks, that should be helpful. I have taken to not inserting the top thermometer that goes into the port, but only using an air probe in the center, trying not to leave it in a 'meat shadow'.

Comment

The average over 8 hours was a 35 degree difference. Like you, I would do one in the center, but from now on I will use the hole on top, as it is one less wire to run out of the door.

Comment

I have a Fireworks probe installed on the inside right hand hanger, using their grate holder. I also put a probe in the output hole on the top of the control box (it looks like it attempts to measure the convection temp since it sits on the top of the cookbox).
        I have found that the difference between the internal probe and the top probe is roughly 25F. Interesting that as the cook gets close to completion the delta reduces to only 5F or so.

Comment

Originally posted by JGrana View Post
          I have found that the difference between the internal probe and the top probe is roughly 25F. Interesting that as the cook gets close to completion the delta reduces to only 5F or so.
          As the cook nears completion the evaporation rate and resultant cooling of the upward flowing airstream declines. This is the end of the stall. An empty pit, or one filled with meat-shaped objects that are at the Cookbox temp and not off-gassing water vapor will have a lower temperature differential.

Comment

• JGrana
            JGrana commented
            Editing a comment
            I have noticed this. The delta becomes very minor late in the cook. Hmm, I can monitor with the Fireworks and use this information to my advantage ;-)

Thanks for this entry and info... its why I joined pit-masters...I didn't have to do this myself... thanks

Comment

• Santamarina
            Santamarina commented
            Editing a comment
            Sharing knowledge/experiment data is one of the best things about The Pit. Even if I decide to do my own tests this forum helps steer me in a more focused direction.

This is interesting. A 25 F variance is not tat big of a deal if you ask me. Plus the air is whipping around in the cook chamber so I think things cook pretty evenly, for the most part.

Personally, I don't get too caught up in the temp variances in the KBQ. I rotate the racks when I am cooking so I make sue things are cooking pretty evenly. It is a little bit more work, but for that flavor, I am happy to do it.

I always love seeing these data sets, they are always interesting to see when the fan is cycling on and off.

Thanks for the data. Always interesting! Good to hear from you!

Comment

• JGrana
            JGrana commented
            Editing a comment
            After measuring my past dozen cooks this way, I couldn't agree more. I just kind of go for the middle - and so far everything turns out great.
            As Bill (KBQ) quoted, I have seen that as the temperature differential starts getting small/less - my smoke is in the home stretch!

I agree. I love this smoker and I've always been curious about this and couldn't find the info elsewhere. This is what I was cooking...

Ribs from Snake River. They were incredible.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I need to make some of these from SRF.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here