Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ + KCBS Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBQ + KCBS Results

Hello all,

I'm competing in my first KCBS contest in a week and a half. I of course want the KBQ to be the center of my cooking arsenal. I'm planning on bringing a Weber Kettle and a WSM as well for extra cook capacity and versatility, particularly because the turn in window for the 4 meats spans only an hour and a half.

Has anyone brought their KBQ on the competition circuit? Any feedback, tips, tricks? How did you score?

I have not had mine in any competitions. I know that Ericm has before and I think he did pretty well. He will probably be able to help you here. I hope he chimes in to offer some advise.

Comment

I've never seen one at a KCBS comp in the Northeast before, but would love to hear about how it goes.

Comment

• krampot
        krampot commented
        Editing a comment
        Will do! Up against 60 teams, this one is in NY!

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        krampot Where in NY? Whoops. Just saw the date of this post. It's probably already past.
        Last edited by Steve B; September 17, 2019, 11:38 AM.

Really looking forward to hearing how you do. Please keep us posted!

Comment

Something to keep in mind is if yours is drastically different than the rest, while that could help you, it could also hurt you. Most teams will be cooking with wood and some charcoal and wood, but most won't be using the efficient fire, and therefore different flavor, of a KBQ.

Comment

• krampot
          krampot commented
          Editing a comment
          I've done plenty of reading to know that 1) you just never know what the judges are going to prefer flavor profile-wise, but 2) you want your meat to stand out. I am hoping the Karubouquet comes through and the judges end up loving it. I'll let ya guys know how I do!

krampot Any updates on how it went with the KBQ?

Comment

I wish I had seen this earlier. I live in NY (upstate) and would have swung by to cheer you on!

Comment

Well.... How did the cookoff go???

Comment

I have seen them in KCBS competitions, but do not know how the team did.

Comment

krampot
                Obviously I saw this post too late, however, there will be more competitions where you might try some of my ideas and discoveries.
                Basically...
                I would like to share with you some discoveries that I have recently learned.
                Will start off with one very recent discovery as time constraints for me are a reality.
                -
                Am pretty sure that beef brisket is one of those meats that are required in many competitions due to the fact that brisket (a packer) is one odd hunk of meat that many pitmasters struggle with, and the end product can show just how talented and dedicated the competitors truly are.
                I have read and have been told that ribs are easy, as well as that a great packer can really do wonders in competitions.
                -
                Onward...
                With the fat cap up, the meat side of a packer can dry out in a KBQ due to the higher amount of heat coming off of the bottom of the manifold.
                I run three packers in each KBQ smoker and the bottom one can become so hard on the meat side (if that side is down) that it defies my best knives when slicing for customers.
                This hardening and drying problem is a known fact, and Mr. Karau suggested that I run with the fat cap down to prevent the dehydrating and hardening of the meat side surface.
                Spinaker concurred.
                -
                So...
                Recently, I have been working on creating bark that is at "the next level" and thanks be to God, I've made some wonderful discoveries.
                It is my belief that bark flavor is king when it comes to brisket and beef short ribs, and my many customers agree.
                We all know that the Maillard Reaction is a huge part of bark building.
                Hopefully we all know that a wet surface on meat cannot build serious bark, and for me, it is a balance of wetting and drying that works best, especially with an acidic spritz, as it helps to build bark faster. (Per Professor Blonder)
                -
                You might want to try this tip...
                Simply use the KBQ's drying effect attribute to your advantage.
                Create a better browning and bark by going with the fat cap up for the first part of the smoke/cook.
                This drying heat will brown the meat side faster, but monitor it and before it goes too far, flip that packer to fat cap down.
                I believe that you will like the results.
                Smoke On!
                Last edited by BBQ_Bill; October 7, 2019, 09:41 PM. Reason: Typo fix

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bill! Great to hear from you good Sir!

• BBQ_Bill
                  BBQ_Bill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you my friend. So incredibly busy that I have only been glancing here for posts and running to get to the next project. I am late after this post, but wanted to share. May God keep you and yours in His care.

• krampot
                  krampot commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Bill, I’m going to try that next time!

Hopefully you will find and enter a competition that allows the time needed to wow the judges with some slices of quality brisket flat with killer KBQ bark placed sweetly there in your turn-in box.

Comment

Sorry I didn’t reply quicker, guys! I finally awoke from sleeping after that all night cook I would say overall we did pretty well for a first time team. There were 53 teams, we came in 39th. We got hit on pork because I just didn’t get the shoulders done on time. We turned in a box, but we needed a little extra time. I’m happy to report our best showing was 24th in brisket! For only my 3rd brisket ever cooked and some BBQ Bill tips and tricks I’d say we were happy. Most importantly our neighbors were super friendly and more than willing to help a newbie out. Knew ahead of time but definitely confirmed you gotta pull some silly stuff to stand out. (Boy do they judges like it sweet, oy) But armed with new knowledge, we’re planning for 4 or 5 events next year! I will say the other competitors were interested in the KBQ. Saw a lot of barrel and cabinet pellet smokers out there!

Comment

Sorry, saw this too late. I did enter a BBQ rib competition using my KBQ a few years ago, and it was judged by KCBS judges. Out of 26 entries, I came in 6th place. I felt pretty good about it being that it was my first competition. In hindsight, I wish I payed more attention to the presentation part of the competition. Garnishing the box was optional, so I chose not to do it. Most of my competitors did however, so I think that would have improved my score.

With that said, the KBQ worked flawlessly and the ribs tasted great. I used mesquite and hickory and you could taste it on the ribs. Something that I assume helped my score.

Comment

krampot
                      I needed four packers for a church function, so I ran two KBQs with two packers each.
                      This is because three packers work fine in one KBQ, but four in one is simply overloaded and will not cook evenly.
                      -
                      Went 4 hours with the meat side down, and the meat side surfaces ended up being just a touch tough.
                      I rested these four packers when they probed done for 2 hours at 110°F and then held for 10 hours at a moist 148°F.
                      I only noticed this slight resistance to the knife on the meat side surface when slicing to serve.
                      -
                      So... I now can recommend that you go with 3 hours meat side down, and then at the start of the 4th hour, flip the fat cap side down.
                      Go with no water in the pans and don't spritz for the first 3 hours either.
                      Also, expose each packer to the bottom position by swapping racks each hour to even out the process of browning.
                      After the three initial hours, add water to the pans and start spritzing once per hour, paying special attention to the flat edges and the top ridge on the point to help with the loss of moisture and drying.
                      -
                      Start the smoke at 225°F and increase the temperature each hour by 5°F until you get to 240°F.
                      My KBQ chamber temperatures were measured by probes attached to an extra rack slid in right below the middle racks.
                      -
                      Please let me know your results.
                      Thanks!

Comment

• OmegaDog12
                        OmegaDog12 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hope this is not a thread hijack, but @BBQ-Bill, I've always thought your suggestions about the KBQ were some of the most helpful and comprehensive. Any chance you have a book or a book of notes that I can buy from you? Also, have you made any new mods for the KBQ that are available? Thanks!
                        The OmegaDog

Howdy OmegaDog12 Thank you for your kind words.
                      I take extensive notes including my plans for each and every cook. I do Aaron Franklin's cook timeline thing, and add to it as the cook/smoke progresses.
                      These comprehensive notes include pre-trimmed weights, total trimmings weight, rub contents, when to do what, mistakes, good things learned (many times by accident) etc.
                      -
                      I basically learn from my mistakes and adjust my "best practices" according to results and customer feedback.
                      I ask my customers certain specific questions and am probably never going to be completely satisfied with my products results.
                      -
                      Am currently looking for better raised beeves as the source of the CAB I am purchasing is feeding them too much corn in their feed lots.
                      (I know, it seems like a good thing, but it is not)
                      Better beef flavor and unearthly bark are my current goals.
                      -
                      No book, just an old man's notes my friend.
                      No recent mods, they will have to wait until I retire.
                      -
                      I will stop this "Hijack" and will PM you.
                      Last edited by BBQ_Bill; October 21, 2019, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here