Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pitchfork_man View Post

FOR NEXT TIME:
    I want more juice and more flavor. Better thicker "glaze". More consistent cooking, end-to-end. No tough parts.
    Not sure about spinning cooking racks.
    For more uniformity, the best thing you can do is find ribs that are a consistent size and thickness from end to end. You could cut the racks into sections of thinner and thicker slabs. Group them on racks according to their thickness, and then pull the thinner ones sooner and let the thicker ones cook a bit longer.

I do think that rotating the racks helps quite a bit in this smoker, especially if you have long items that get close to the back of the cook box. I have found that the back of the smoker tends to run a bit hotter and dryer than the front.

You can use this knowledge to your advantage if you have a cut of meat that's thicker on one side. Or if you're doing chicken you can put the dark meat towards the back.

If you have more than one rack going at a time, it helps to switch positions: rotate racks top to bottom and front to back.

The KBQ makes this little dance incredibly easy because there are so many available slots to place a rack. And since it gets back up to temp so fast, I never feel bad about opening it up to rotate racks or check on the cook.

Comment

• pitchfork_man
      pitchfork_man commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks goldp18, great comments! All makes sense. I'll give it a shot! Gonna try another one tomorrow. thanks again

pitchfork_man I am going to be brutally honest - I can't see a durn thing wrong with those ribs.

Comment

Looked great!

Comment

The ribs look great. But I would try to bump up your high-cycle temp to 275 F. That will allow the glaze to set better and ribs can take the little bit of extra heat

One other thing you can do to even out the cooking is to rotate the racks up and down. However, I rarely bother with this.

Here is an excellent rib glaze that I love to use for people that love a sweet rib. Check it out! Texas Pepper Jelly!

Comment

• pitchfork_man
          pitchfork_man commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Spinaker. I guess I'm always afraid to do 250+ because ribs are so thin. It just seems so wrong! ha...
          I'm doing another test run tomorrow and I'll do 275 and compare results.
          Thanks for the pepper jelly link BTW... they have so many! I'm ordering the mango habanero. Sounds amazing!
          I'll post pics tomorrow if worthy ----

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds good, brother! pitchfork_man

Ribs update: 2 racks of spareribs
        Pulled membrane and salted night before;
        used thin layer of mayo and Memphis Dust Rub immediately before cook;
        high cycle temp at 275
        70% hickory, 30% cherry
        Water pan in bottom;
        switched rack spots halfway
        cooked 4 hours, applied sauce and turned upside down.
        Painted bottom with sauce also
        Used Kansas City Style BBQ sauce as per Meathead:
        https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...q-sauce-recipe

Raised KBQ temp to max
        15 minutes before pull
        Rested 15 minutes, cut.

Results: Overall nice!! A little loose and falls apart making it hard to cut nice slices.
        Comes clean off bone. Nice candy bark!
        It finished before I had expected....so I sauced , cooked 15 min more, and pulled. It was mostly tasty and tender and actually fairly juicy, but there were some slightly tougher parts around the edges and ends. Overall very nice flavor but needs MORE of it. Needs more BOOM!
        ALSO worth noting: these ribs looked perfect and nothing was weird... but they were super cheap at the restaurant supply place... frozen... I Couldn't say no!! And I'm 100% sure it's not the ideal quality for a perfect BBQ rib.

NEXT TIME: Sauce and pull earlier, don't raise temp at end of cook. Maybe rotate rack slot positions s more often. Maybe also spin racks end-to-end as well? use a better glaze.
        Most of all, Look for way to boost flavor to make it a "wow" rib.... possibly a superior quality pork would help. We have Sams Club here in Georgia, I might try their ribs next time.

Constructive criticism would be appreciated!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice and saucy!

I never wrap ribs. I spritz them a couple times during the cook, and when I take them off they're black. For me, crusty bark is a must for ribs. Mahogany ribs don't seem to have enough bark for my taste.

Comment

• pitchfork_man
          pitchfork_man commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks TBoneJack... The surface of my ribs looked like it was wet (or at least damp) most of the cook... I didn't spritz cuz it didn't look like it needed it. But I had a water pan in the bottom. Maybe I should have tried sptriz also.

Another rib cook on the KBQ, and tried something new also. First, here is the regular BB ribs pic.
        Before.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6452.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	786258

After

Name:	IMG_6464.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	786257

Comment

Then I saw the recipe for "Blasphemy Ribs", and I HAD to try it! The results:
          Before:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6458.JPG Views:	2 Size:	4.60 MB ID:	786265

After:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6461.JPG Views:	2 Size:	1.28 MB ID:	786264Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6482.JPG Views:	3 Size:	566.6 KB ID:	786263Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6481.JPG Views:	2 Size:	2.80 MB ID:	786266

Turned out excellent on the KBQ. Fast and easy! No wrapping, no rubs, no prep on day-of-cook.
          Only 15 minutes prep the night before, and 2.5 hours cooktime next day.

EDIT: Cooked at 140 high cycle on the KBQ. Very little top poppet, bottom full open. Also compared with the full slab... the blasphemy ribs won on both flavor and bark.
          Last edited by pitchfork_man; January 3, 2020, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Take a look at the KBQ has landed thread page 101 post #1515. The rub recipe will give you some wow. Then look at page 102 post #1520 to see how the ribs came out and about not wrapping.

Comment

Thanks Frigate!

Comment

Mmmmm...KBQ Ribs! Just say no to foil.

Comment

Hard to argue with KBQ ribs! (No foil!)

Name:	71B2EF0A-0305-4102-A2FC-4899DC953C06.jpeg
Views:	392
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	811814

Comment

• hogdog6
                    hogdog6 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I love the colors of KBQ ribs.

@Spinaker I agree, hard to argue with KBQ ribs. These were last week's Costco St. Louis style, 4 racks, 2 per shelf. 6 hour dry brined, then rubbed with equal amounts of fresh ground black pepper/brown sugar, and half that amount of granulated onion/granulated garlic, and some non-smoked paprika. (I figured it would get smoked enough.) Alder, bottom poppet open, top closed. Water pan in bottom, thick portion of meat toward manifold. Around 3 hours at 275, then 30 minutes unwrapped inside oven at 225 waiting for final meal prep. The bark was firm, the meat was juicy. Grandkids loved them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1961.jpeg Views:	13 Size:	641.2 KB ID:	812144Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1963.jpeg Views:	13 Size:	737.8 KB ID:	812146Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1962.jpeg Views:	12 Size:	490.0 KB ID:	812145
                  Last edited by Dr. Pepper; March 6, 2020, 02:13 PM. Reason: Rearranged the order of the steps taken, flows more logically.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                    ComfortablyNumb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Can I call you 'Grandpa'? Please? ;-)

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yuuuuuup, that color is unreal!

• Dr. Pepper
                    Dr. Pepper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ComfortablyNumb Sure, although to fit in with the other grandkids, you'll have to call me 'Papa'. The first one, now 7, christened me 6 years ago.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here