Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBQ ribs

Just curious how many bother to foil their ribs on a KBQ. I use foil on my RECTEC and WSM but I never bothered to on my KBQ.

Nah, I never use foil. I don't care for the braising effect. I might wrap them in butcher paper after the cook. KBQ ribs are my favorite.

Comment

Mmmmm...KBQ Ribs! Just say no to foil.

Comment

Never ever foil my ribs. The convection action cooks things faster and I've never had dried out ribs.

Comment

I only use my foil for fencing, it wouldn't fit in the KBQ.....

Comment

• THE Humble Texan
            THE Humble Texan commented
            Editing a comment
            i've used chain link with vinyl slats but never foil. Is it strong enough/

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            THE Humble Texan Think the other kind of fencing. (Hint, verb not noun) As for the type you are talking about I prefer Stay-Tuff made in good ol' New Braunfels.

• Livermoron
            Livermoron commented
            Editing a comment
            Touche...

Great timing for today. We're doing our first ribs on the KBQ and I have a question: How long do spareribs cook on the KBQ??? (with no foil)

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Untrimmed ~5 hours. BBs around 4. Assume 235F or so. Some of us find that when you can smell the ribs, they're done.

I would echo EdF on this. Spares take about 5 hours with the draft set at 7.5 (I’d estimate the temp around 230) and no foil

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for being with us since 2014! We appreciate your continued support!

Thanks folks! OK I'll expect a 5 hour cook. And, I do have one more question: With the temp swing range on the KBQ, what is considered the cooking temp? I'm guessing you go with the average temp, in the mid-point of the draft cycle?

Comment

Originally posted by pitchfork_man View Post
            Thanks folks! OK I'll expect a 5 hour cook. And, I do have one more question: With the temp swing range on the KBQ, what is considered the cooking temp? I'm guessing you go with the average temp, in the mid-point of the draft cycle?
            I set mine so the temp never hits above my target. I don't mind if the temp goes below my target, but I don't want it to cycle above my target temp.

(And thank you for your years of support!)

Comment

• pitchfork_man
              pitchfork_man commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Spinaker! so if I'm looking for 230, it would be fine for my cycle to top out at 229.... and I should just "ignore" the lower temps.
              I had it wrong - I was going by the average temp. so that is now corrected in my mind! THANK YOU for helping!!
              And... it has been a pleasure to be part of the Pitmaster Club for 5 years... I've learned so much! ( BTW - It was THIS ONLINE COMMUNITY that convinced me to get the KBQ!! ) Love it!
              I'll post pics of these ribs....

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              You got it! It can cycle below you set temp without worries but you don't want it going too hot.

Thanks for the kind words! This is a good place to be! pitchfork_man

I don’t have a KBQ (yet!), but I never wrap my ribs. A nice dry rub, then let’em go for a few hours in a 250°F pit! I will spritz with water if they look a little dry too early, and a water pan is a must (at least for my stick burner).

The most important part is taking notes on what you do so you know how to adjust for the next cook!

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, a water pan in the KBQ is something to consider. I have gone to using one. I had a pan at the bottom anyway, to catch grease.

I've started to spritz sometimes and I do now use a water pan. 5 or so hours and you'll be in rib heaven. Stay on top of keeping a good coal bed. The color out of the KBQ never ceases to blow me away.
            Do the bend test if that looks good pull one, let it rest for a few minutes and take a bite. If you like how the bite feels pull the rest, if not put the rack back on and let em run another 30 min. or so and repeat until they're how ya like em.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              hogdog6 You need to post a photo of a rack which wasn't ready at the first, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th bite tests!

I stopped wrapping my ribs a couple years ago - it doesn't matter what smoker I use. Maybe I've gotten better (thanks to all the great help here) or maybe I've just gotten lazier (thanks to my own doing...and juice bomb double IPAs).

pitchfork_man how do you like your new KBQ? I'm very jealous!

Comment

• pitchfork_man
              pitchfork_man commented
              Editing a comment
              Thx Bumby. LOVE the KBQ!
              Finding and chopping the right wood is a challenge only til you find your sources and get your system going. Then it becomes a labor of love! And baby-sitting the KBQ is a necessary evil. Just have to be committed once you start a cook.
              And WEATHER can cancel your BBQ plans, unless you have a proper covered area.
              Otherwise... every other aspect of the KBQ is POSITIVE!
              You need to get yours ASAP!!

Follow up pics and notes! Please remember I'm a newbie at cooking ribs... and this is my first ribs on the KBQ!
            Pics first... notes to follow... Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2394.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	646414Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2400.jpg Views:	1 Size:	929.5 KB ID:	646412Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2398.jpg Views:	1 Size:	890.6 KB ID:	646413
            WHAT I DID:
            Salted night before... Thin layer of Mayo and then Memphis Dust Rub and then straight onto the KBQ.
            Set for 230 with both poppets open.
            Used Hickory wood. Wood wasn't seasoned too long maybe 1-2 months.
            Took about 5 hours.
            No spritzing. Water pan in bottom of KBQ, and there was still a little left at end of cook.
            Thick end was in the back. Last 30 minutes I reversed the cooking rack, putting the thin end at the back.
            Used maple syrup-ish glaze for last 10 minutes, meat side down. Glaze was very very thin.

THE RESULTS:
            I thought they were overall quite tasty. Probably a little over-done... Ribs were medium tender and medium juicy. Good smoke flavor. Nothing bitter whatsoever. Nothing to complain about, except maybe a little overdone on the thin end.

Bark was set nicely but the glaze didn't seem to set properly. Maybe it was the wrong kind of glaze... or more likely, I probably pulled it too early, cuz I was afraid of scorching. It was hard to see the bottom of the ribs, so I lifted and peeked a couple times then pulled it.

When I put the glaze on, I noticed that the thick end of it was almost black colored, and had 1-2 bones fall off the bottom. The other, very thin end. was over-done and tougher to bite into. But no bonesfell out.

Most of the ribs in the middle were similar and consistent... and none of the bones "fell off". Mostly left teeth marks, some of it was a little too softfor teeth marks. The meat didn't fall off the bone "clean", really. Some tiny shreds of meat were still left on the bones.

FOR NEXT TIME:
            I want more juice and more flavor. Better thicker "glaze". More consistent cooking, end-to-end. No tough parts.
            Not sure about spinning cooking racks.

PLEASE OFFER CRITICISM! What do you think, fellow BBQ gurus??? Does this look right? Does it look over / under cooked? Should there be more smoke ring? Or less? Should I be doing something different ?
            Brutal honesty is much appreciated! You can't hurt my feelings!

Last edited by pitchfork_man; March 6, 2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hogdog6 View Post
              I've started to spritz sometimes and I do now use a water pan. 5 or so hours and you'll be in rib heaven. Stay on top of keeping a good coal bed. The color out of the KBQ never ceases to blow me away.
              Do the bend test if that looks good pull one, let it rest for a few minutes and take a bite. If you like how the bite feels pull the rest, if not put the rack back on and let em run another 30 min. or so and repeat until they're how ya like em.
              Thanks Hogdog6. Great idea, a 'bite test' is what I'll do next time!

Comment

Wow, pitchfork_man ! Your first wibs? Or your first wibs on the KBQ? Either way, they are fantastic!
                Greatplainsbrewer , how did yours turn out?
                Aside from everybody’s wibs on a KBQ, I will never get one. I live in an apartment, nuff said. What I do find interesting is all these Geezer members showin up fer this post. Fantastic! Good to hear from ya & enjoying it! Hope I don’t scare ya off cuz of the geezer thing. 🕶

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh yeah, you qualify! You are officially a grizzled ol’ vet of a geezer.

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  pitchfork_man tell FireMan YOU DON'T GIVE A RIP!

• Dr. Pepper
                  Dr. Pepper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  FireMan Good to 'hear' from you. It seems that it's been a while since I've seen your posts.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here