Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ door pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBQ door pins

I’m going to bust out a couple pairs of door pins on the manual lathe tomorrow after work. Just wondering how many people would be interested? I’d figure around $10 shipped for the pair would probably be where it lands price wise. Just enough to cover shipping and my time/materials.

These are the screw and nut I made a couple months back. Basically just makes it so you just flex the door slightly to install and remove.
    They look like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	68FE0B55-B698-4182-B71E-B1F4016C3E8E.jpeg
Views:	402
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	634676

Name:	40287C12-56CE-46B8-876F-BD4D02647C28.jpeg
Views:	379
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	634677

Name:	7269A9D9-FFDF-446B-905C-A6B4586E0F55.jpeg
Views:	384
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	634678

Nice work and great you are offering here at a very reasonable price for custom parts. I don't have KBQ, but think those who do will appreciate.

Comment

I'm in. I have a set of pins from Amazon that BBQ_Bill was experimenting with. I bought his great door handles but lost the door tube. The pins was my next project.
      BBQ_Bill , how are those door pins working?

It's a bit cold here, but in a few weeks, I will be working on getting my KBQ ready for early spring smoking. The door has been my next project.

I can try both the pins and your mod.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        The pins are fine. Gotta keep track of them, and wash them just like the originals and the tube idea I came up with. This to me is an upgrade from mine and better because it stays in the frame. The door with a bit of maneuvering comes off, and no spare parts to lose.

I'll take a set.

Comment

Great idea. I do already have a set up from Bill that works great. Thanks for the offer though. I am working on getting to the controller first!

Comment

I'll take a set, for sure! Thanks. How do we do this? PM?

Comment

I'd like a set, too!

Comment

JGrana ComfortablyNumb Dr. Pepper Bellefonte Smoker

Sorry for the long wait (ish?). Life and stuff happens.

I managed to get 3 pairs made the other day after work. I haven’t test fit them yet, but they’re pretty much identical to the ones that I made previously and am currently using.

I should have some time tomorrow (Feb 20) to make up a couple more pairs so I could cover all 4 of you, and I’ll see about shipping them before the weekend. Shoot me a PM with your address and we’ll work things out.

Included will be the pins themselves as well as nuts. All stainless. Let me know in the PM if you want me to put a drop of Loctite 472 on the threads for you. It won’t cure until you actually assemble the pin. I found that putting the nuts on just finger tight works well.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you have an idea how you are going to ship? USPS, UPS, FedEx?

• Rfuilrez
                Rfuilrez commented
                Editing a comment
                ComfortablyNumb probably UPS. Unless that doesn’t work for some one for some reason.

USPS kinda put a sour taste in my mouth recently so I’m gonna steer clear if I can.

I don’t even know where the closest fedex location is to me.

$10 seems a bit low for making and shipping these. Just saying.......

Comment

OK, in the interest of erasing yet another area where I am totally ignorant, I'll ask: How are these different from an ordinary bolts/nuts and what is the purpose of putting them through the metal as shown?

I'm ready to be embarrassed by my ignorance. Don't spare me.

Comment

• Rfuilrez
                  Rfuilrez commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There really isn’t a huge difference. The only difference, is that the end is cut to fit into the outside frame of the door to act as a pivot so you can open and close the door.

The KBQ comes standard with a solid rod going from side to side, making it not possible to remove the door for cleaning purposes. By cutting the rod off and installing these the door becomes easily removable.

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Willy thanks for taking one for the team. I was just too shy to ask.

To me, the sweet difference is that this is very quick.
                These stay in the frame, with the door "popping" off nicely as needed for cleaning or assembling racks and pans for a smoke.
                Another plus, is that they stay put, and don't get misplaced.

Comment

Are these ready to be ordered yet?

Comment

Bellefonte Smoker

I have sent out a few of pairs already. I’m waiting for them to let me know how they work on other people’s KBQs before I would make more and send them out. Seeing as the KBQ is just bent sheet metal, I’m not sure how they fit versus in mine.

Hopefully some of the guys get them installed shortly. Ill keep you in mind though!

Comment

thanks!

Comment

If you get around to making any more of these I'd love a set. Very cool.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here