Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermometer

What’s everybody using to monitor the temperature inside their KBQ? Thanks

I bought a ThermoPro TP20 a couple of years ago. I got the extended warranty for free after registering it with them. I had a problem with one of the probes and after emailing them they immediately shipped me a replacement. They have great customer service in my opinion. The monitor has held up well and is as accurate as the other temperature reading devices that I have ( using water boiling method ).

Comment

Thermoworks Smoke, DOT and Thermapen MK4 for all temperature monitoring.

Comment

FireBoard

Comment

Thermoworks Smoke, then I got the thermoworks Signals. There is really no point in getting a Smoke (2 channel, and requires an additional wifi bridge device), vs the Signals, which has 4 channels, comes with 3 meat probes and a grill probe, and built in wifi. The signals has a rechargeable battery using the provided USB/USBC cable and charger, but could be a problem if runs out of juice during a long cook. I still like it. Also, the ThermoWorks site has a great blog with lots of advice, recipes, etc. Of course, nothing is better than Amazing Ribs.......

Comment

Originally posted by new2smoking View Post
            The signals has a rechargeable battery using the provided USB/USBC cable and charger, but could be a problem if runs out of juice during a long cook.
            If you're worried about your Signals running out of juice during a long cook, you might consider keeping on hand a USB power pack like this one ... or one of its bigger brothers.

Comment

Fireboard.

Comment

I keep it simple. Thermapen Air in the port next to the controller. Gives you a reasonable read of the pit temp. When I start smelling meat, I start opening the cook box and using a regular Thermapen to test the state of the product. Works well enough for me. Mostly because of the quick temp recovery in the KBQ. I really don't find myself needing more finesse than that.

Comment

• hogdog6
                  hogdog6 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  EdF that's exactly how I do it. Whenever possible using the K.I.S.S. method is how I roll. One of the beauties of the KBQ.

I use a FireBoard

And a Thermowroks RT610B 6"

Comment

I too have been using the Thermoworks RT610B in the probe port, as it came with the KBQ. It works pretty well for the most part.

Recently I replaced the sensing bulb/knob with a digital controller. It displays current temperature and set point. Still tweaking it in, but I'm very happy with it. I can utilize the RT610B for something else now. Not sure what, as I also have a ThermoPen MK4.

Comment

I too use a FireBoard to monitor temperature of items in the KBQ... but use it when I’m working with large cuts, like 3 Boston butts or briskets. The FireBoard is truly an awesome unit.

I use the MK4 to probe things most of the time. It’s fast, simple and very effective.

My KBQ came with a ThermaWorks thermometer or sorts, but it is not effective for me. Maybe it’s an issue that my particular probe has, but it goes black when exposed to heat from the cooker or I intense sunlight, so I don’t use that one that came with the unit. It’s not reliable for me.

Hope this helps. I would go with an MK4 first, and a FireBoard when dealing with multiple large cuts.

Ricardo
                    PS: The easiest way to get the FireBoard probes into the cooking chamber is by threading them down the heat intake and through the luvers without moving or changing them. Carefully insert the firebox and you are good to go.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                      Dr. Pepper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thermoworks recently posted an article about extending the life of probes. They say that routing through a hot path will shorten the life of the probe.

Author: Martin EarlWe occasionally hear complaints about how our Pro-Series® or Type-K probes burn out in BBQ smokers. For example, “How can a probe rated to 640°F burn out in a low-and-slow smoker that is running at 275°F?!?” It’s a fair question, and today we hope to answer it. The most important—and maybe the most […]

• Ricardo
                      Ricardo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My opinion from a customer point of view.... I find FireBoard probes are better built as compared to any others I’ve tried. The one product from ThermoWorks I keep handy is the MK4.

BBQ Guru CiberQ: So far, so good. Sends me text. Problem is, I have to be awake to notice.

Comment

Went with the thermoworks 610- have to feed it every twenty minutes or so anyway so remote capacity doesn’t do me any good. Cooked two racks of baby backs and a tray of hog apple beans. Set the dial at 8 and it read between 208 and 230. Burning burr oak and black walnut. 3 lb rack finished in under 4 hours. Great cooker but it could be the home brewed India pale lager too.

thanks for all the responses

Comment

I use the Fireboard. The Thermopro by the control box is about 30 degrees cooler than a rack in the center position. I'm thinking about putting one of those wsm grommets in the door fit multiple probes.

Comment

Good point silver. If I get a chance I’ll compare the 610 to a probe on the middle rack just to give me something to work with although my experience is that the convection really evens things out even as the temp fluctuates quite a bit when the draft fan cycles on and off

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here