Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ weather cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBQ weather cover

I had written an earlier response asking whether anyone had a source for a cover. I had asked a custom boat upholstery & canvas shop for a price: Nearly $700. I think it was Ed who recommended a cover from Amazon. I wanted to be able to leave at least the firebox on the top, and possibly the control box as well. By having a peaked profile, it would help the water run off.

I ended up ordering a custom cover from CoverStore.com I used their template for chairs, with the 'back' of the chair being the area for the firebox. It arrived today. I would have preferred a product made in the USA to cover the wonderful KBQ made in the USA, but this came from China. I may reinforce the inside where it rests on the sharper corners of the firebox.

If there is interest, I can post the measurements I made for my order. It turned out perfect. Click image for larger version

Name:	J9JskCYBQXS86ZL+jwVTkQ.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	621971Click image for larger version

Name:	bMksJfFWTUeYqY%tE76tDw.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	621972Click image for larger version

Name:	MmqZfoJFRuqsrFEf6XVOzg.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	621973Click image for larger version

Name:	fi9vaVA3TCy4id0ux485tg.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	621974Click image for larger version

Name:	9abJoMIUS%6hJNK7iPPkKg.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	621975

Looks good. How's it fit with the control box in place?
    I'd try folding up and old towel and placing that over the fire box to lessen any tears/pokes thru the cover.
    What did they charge for that?
    I store my firebox and control box separate from the cook chamber and use a generator cover that fits the cook chamber perfectly but I might want to consider the one you hade made when the one I have wears out.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll post a photo with the control box in place. I have been storing it in the garage, but might leave it on, especially as the summer returns. With my 'new customer' discount, it ran $91. It has clips to tighten the bottom, a vent, etc. I wanted to be certain that it didn't drag on the decking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-01-12 08.16.15.png
Views:	193
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	622096

Comment

Very Cool! I love it. I clean and break down my KBQ, then store it inside because I don't have a cover for it.

This is very cool! Thanks for posting. It looks good too.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd put the controller indoors regardless. I have nice 19" Stanley plastic toolbox in which to store it and other tools, like the Thermapen Air. Firebox easily fits into the cookbox. So, for the rest, I use a generator cover like what Histrix mentioned.

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF, it was your comment about the generator cover which I was trying to recall. What I like about the peaked cover with the firebox left on is the pitch which sheds rain.
        I agree that putting the controller indoors is sensible, since that is where the electronics live.

Is that a monster pizza oven in the background?

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, but not a monster. It's a Forno Bravo Vesuvio 80. It's their smallest pre-built with the thicker walls. Given the smaller internal dimensions, it heats up faster (about 50 minutes to 800º) but is only comfortable with one pizza at a time. However, at 90 to 120 sec per pizza, that's not a problem. I'll post a couple of photos. https://www.fornobravo.com/product-s...es-wood-ovens/

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        C'mon Dr. Pepper - any Forno Bravo is a "monster" - conceptually, regardless of size! Nice! ;-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2523.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	622220Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2586.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	622221Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2490.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	622222Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3310.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	622219
      Attached Files

Comment

Histrix, Here are photos of the cover with the firebox and the controller in place. While the controller projects off to the left side, the dimensions as made allow for enough clearance. I also took photos of the straps at each corner and the two pursestrings. The dimensions that I ordered are in the screenshot a few posts earlier.
        I agree with EdF that storing the controller inside (garage, heated to 45, for me) would decrease humidity risk to electronics. I took your advice and have placed a folded towel over the front edge of the firebox, to decrease wear. The bottom photo has the controller in place and the cover on. Daniel

on the cover. Click image for larger version

Name:	kFZg1kNHQTy7tzs4WmE%ew.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	622232Click image for larger version

Name:	LmyNkGtuRtiv8axAeg6lOw.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	622233Click image for larger version

Name:	QefA+rc4SxW1bj2EV2Z3BA.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	622234Click image for larger version

Name:	rBRxY5dYSTm6fk+%YPfJ%A.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	622235Click image for larger version

Name:	KCZOYt6QRpqObNbJTuxFZQ.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	622237Click image for larger version

Name:	Kx1yeSVaQAm0xmoMJWzHaQ.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	622236

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey, looks good!

Hey! sorry, new2smoking That pizza oven (here I go again) is big enough to park my F150 in! Love those black blisters on your pie. they just don't make it like that in Va!

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a hangar for your avatar!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here