Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kbq temps..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TYPICAL TEMPERATURES IN MY KBQs
    I keep a lot of notes, and here is an example showing this past Friday's KBQ smoker internal temperatures:
    Fired up this brand new virgin KBQ that I just bought, and this is what I got...
    Was getting around a 20 degree span from this brand new controller.
    (Twas a 200°F average for this particular meat/cook/smoke that I was "shooting" for)

ON - - - OFF
    187°F to 209°F (start)
    186°F to 206°F (watching)
    185°F to 205°F (watching)
    184°F to 204°F (watching)
    183°F to 203°F (watching as it slowly dropped in cycling temperatures)
    Average of these last two ON/OFF cycles was 193°F so, I bumped the thermostat up a touch.
    I got...
    189° to 210°F (199.5°F average)
    -
    At 1-1/2 hours later...
    184°F to 206°F (195°F average)
    So, I bumped the thermostat up a touch once again and got...
    191°F to 212°F (201.5°F average)
    -
    The above fine tuning type adjustments are typical in my KBQ experience, where with my COS there is no way I could get even close to this type of temperature control by "hawking and tweaking" this and that in an attempt to hold temps and keep consistent smoke quality.
    All the while, with the KBQ, my smoke quality is being controlled too, which took me years to master the art of fire building in my cheap offset smokers.
    BTW
    My very last COS is now being used to store my BBQ tools, and I smoke all of my meats in my KBQs.
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; December 3, 2018, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Happy to help cabbot1
      What kind of ribs did you cook?
      I've only done beef ribs so far, the big meaty ones.
      STILL have not smoked a rack of pork ribs.
      Have several racks of pork ribs in the freezer, just procrastinating I suppose.

Comment

• JGrana
        JGrana commented
        Editing a comment
        Bill, the KBQ does a great job with SLC ribs. Use Meatheads great Memphis Dust and keep in mind cooks times will be shorter. I don’t wrap anymore... sprtitz during the cook.

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks.
        I will add this to my notes.

• cabbot1
        cabbot1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry about the late response but I did baby back ribs and they are the best ribs I have ever tasted

Whadd'ya waiting for, Bill?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170429_180933.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	601565

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        I think failure is my main concern EdF
        Do not want the 1st pork ribs to "bomb"

• Rfuilrez
        Rfuilrez commented
        Editing a comment
        BBQ_Bill something about if you never fail you never did anything worth doing...

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        BBQ_Bill we both know it's hard to screw something up in the KBQ!

Rfuilrez
      I think what it comes down to, is that very first maiden KBQ voyage was two full packer briskets.
      Most said chances of success were slim to none.
      And... they came out so incredible, that I was overjoyed and simply dumbfounded in disbelief that they could be THAT good.
      -
      Now, some time has passed since then and a brisket cook is standard stuff.
      Brisket is truly no big deal to have it come out right.
      The very first beef ribs were exceptional, but a tad dry.
      -
      I seriously want my very first KBQ pork ribs to blow away anything I have eaten at JL's or eaten at The Rib Shop.
      -
      So...
      I figure after a very long detailed study of how to, I will gather up enough courage to try.
      Procrastination is easy because failure sux.
      I basically know that I am not ready enough... yet.

Comment

• Timcee
        Timcee commented
        Editing a comment
        Well.. Now that I'm back in town after being gone for almost 2 months.. I'm gonna fire the Kb up Friday for ribs.. I'll keep ya posted and jump on in with me! I'm looking for that smoke to get in on the cook this time

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here