Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some KBQ Observations from a new owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some KBQ Observations from a new owner

So I've done two cooks on the KBQ so far, and I feel like I've learned a lot in two weeks. The biggest challenge for me is timing the addition of wood to the firebox to maintain the necessary thickness coal bed. I'm finding at times that the coal bed is breaking down before the burning wood is ready to break down into coals. The wood I've used (apple, sugar maple, and little post oak) were well seasoned and burned easily. But if they are too big (even if they fit in the firebox), it seems to take too long to break down into coals and I start losing the coal bed. If the pieces of wood are smaller, it's easier to maintain the coal bed but I end up using a lot more wood.
    Even if I only have to place a piece of wood every 20 - 30 minutes, I have to play with the coal bed pretty frequently to maintain coverage of the bottom holes for proper "filtering" of the smoke. My other observation is the effect of wind on its function I was cooking chicken yesterday and left the controller on the max setting. Initially the temp inside was running about 308 degrees, but as the wind picked up the temp ran about 280 max. Despite the downdraft action of the fan, the flames were blowing out one side of the firebox, probably resulting in the lower temps. I guess I'll need to make a windbreak because it's usually windy here (I'm close to the ocean). Overall I like the KBQ. It definitely produces a clean smoke taste as advertised (I have only kept the lower poppit open).

I've had 3 cooks on mine so far. You're right...the hardest part is managing the coal bed, but I wonder if that's true for all stick burners. My biggest challenge is finding a local supplier who will give me the mini splits I need.

The product is superb. Like you, I'm currently using the lower poppit, and I think that helps reduce the heartburn one can get from bbq. Who knew?

Comment

Don't be afraid to really load up the firebox with red-hot lump when you start. I mean..... like more than half of the firebox is red hot coals. Then add some logs to the fire. This will help you get a nice, solid coal bed to start out.

I know you mentioned this briefly above but to create a better coal bed, use smaller logs, as you mentioned. I like to use small spilts when I am doing chicken. If you have a solid coal bed, you should be able to keep the KBQ above 400 F without any problem. Another way to ensure you have a solid coal bed is to roll the firebox with out the lid on, and keep the firebox full. This will allow more time for the wood to burn down. This will cause you to use more wood, but it will allow for a cleaner cook over all.

Additionally, I don't put the wood in the firebox, flat. I angle the pieces so they have more time to burn and drop.

If the wind is getting really bad, you can place a large cooking sheet against the side of the firebox, I have to do this from time to time when I am cooking at my father's place, which is on a lake and can be windy pretty consistently.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Even if you're using more small pieces, the wood is cheap given how little it uses.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed, Ed. Especially if you are cutting your own. EdF

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Kindle Cracker, mallet and chopsaw get the job done (or the alligator).

Thanks for the responses. I did notice that with the lid off the firebox, the wood burned faster, and produced coals quicker. But even with the lid on, the max temps didn't climb that much. Close to 400 degrees? Wow, I couldn't come close to that. For chicken, I wanted to get the temps as high as I could. Oh well, it's a learning experience.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        When I've done chicken, I get up around 350F on the max setting. But with the convection, that's good enough.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't worry about having the lid on for max temps, Get a good thick coal bed, then you will be at 400 F, at least in the back of the cook box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170220_181704.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	547167

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Got a lil chicken there, eh?

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks pretty good, eh?

Hopefuly this is a good place to ask. I’ve noticed a light accumulation of ashes that ends up coating items in the cooking chamber. It’s detectable to me when I’ve got an item wrapped to help power through a stall.

I keep the firebox well fed and don’t mess around with it when the fan is drawing heat and smoke into the chamber. I observe and wait for the fan to rest, then during its off cycle, I tend the firebox. I keep the top popper closed at all times and the lower one fully open.

I can’t say that this sprinkle of ash is affecting much of the finished product per se, but would prefer to avoid or prevent ashes from being sucked into the chamber and sprinkled over what I’m cooking. Maybe in the end it enhances bark, but if I can avoid this ash thing, I would.

Is this something other KBQ folks have noticed? If so, what preventive or corrective operating procedures help reduce or prevent this?

I know several KBQ owners use a switch cut power supply what tending the unit. That may be the workaround solution. I always use a hotel pan with water. I’m unable to tell if the water pan helps to reduce ash activity. I use it all of the time, but not for ash control.

Thank you,
      Ricardo

This photo is of a wrapped item after 30 minutes in the cooking chamber.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	4EABCC54-9621-4642-BC77-7AC200BEBDCF.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	638839Click image for larger version

Name:	084EE516-5F3C-4C1E-B099-E7F547681282.jpeg
Views:	336
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	638840

Comment

My thoughts, but others have much greater experience: Whenever the cook chamber temp probe tells the controlling unit to start the fan and pull heat through the baffles, there will be some ash that also gets pulled down along with the hot air. I wonder if it would help at all if the convection fan turned off whenever the temperature control draw fan turns on??? Better minds than me will have better ideas than me ( @Rfuilrez, BBQ Bill , KBQ )

Comment

I use a steam pan lined with foil to collect the drippings. I haven't noticed a lot of ash on the food. I have observed some on the bottom of the smoke chamber below the pan in the lowest setting. I also never stoke the fire while the draw fan is running and wait for about 15 secs. till it stops completely. Recently I have closed off the side vents at the coal grate in order to pull only smoke from the fire box and not clean air from the sides. I think it makes a difference. I have been using large pieces of almond, oak or mesquite and keep the firebox full with the lid slightly off center. Take the lid off about every 20 to 30 min. and stoke the fire and add another log. Seems to be working.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here