Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interested in the KBQ but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interested in the KBQ but...

Hi Everyone!

New to the KBQ forum, but not the pit. I am very interested in the KBQ being my next smoker (currently the proud owner of a Pit Barrel), but I’m concerned about my 3 year old twins being around when the firebox is going. With the lid on is there still quite a bit of open flame shooting out? They are good at staying away from the PBC when it’s cooking, but obviously it doesn’t have an open flame. I know pellet grills are the safest, but the KBQ is what I’m really excited about. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

I can’t speak specifically to the KBQ but I do have three kids under five and five cookers of various types and a fire pit outside. I can’t see how one is any more or less dangerous than the others. They are all extremely hot and can cause severe and permanent damage to anyone who touches them. My friend’s daughter went through eight surgeries because she tripped and broken her fall by reaching out and putting her hands on grill when she was three (totally fine now tg).

You need to make sure that you and the kids respect how dangerous they can be. Even my two year old knows that "grills" are hot and he keeps a wide berth. That being said even the most responsibke cautious kid can be distracted by a shiny object so you need to stay close to to the kids and the cookers and not let the kids get between you and anything that can cause them severe harm. Just operate under and abundance of caution and you’ll be ok with any cooker.

Comment

You'd need to fence it off or something with kids that age. For some reason our dogs seem to know to stay away. But I once touched a hot electric element on the stove and was a lot older than 3. One thing I noticed was that one of our owners put some kind of stainless mesh over the fire vents on the box, and that was good for preventing any outflow of embers around the KBQ. But I'm guessing that's not quite good enough for 3 year olds. Note that there's a slightly used KBQ for sale on the forum at the moment. I think some kind of temporary barrier or enclosure until they're 5 and hit pit bull intelligence would probably do the job (that's not intended to be insulting - it's just that I've raised both kids and pit bulls).
      Last edited by EdF; August 10, 2018, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I’m selling mine if that helps push you over the edge. Too many toys and I never am able to use it.

Comment

Wait a few years. Firebox surfaces reach 1,200F. No one will touch it twice, but once is too many!

Comment

You could buy a 25' roll of chicken wire wither 2' or 3' tall and surround the cooker in use. That should keep kids out. If you are worried they will try anyway, put some bells on the fence.

Comment

There is no way I’d want it running with small children around.

Comment

Train them. Or only have them play inside when you’re cooking. Be abundantly diligent about watching them and you’re good!

Comment

I run mine at my father's place when there are kids around. You just have to make sure it is somewhere they will not be able to get too it. And they know how dangerous it is. I sat my nephews and nieces down to talk to them about how dangerous it was and for them to stay away.
                  "BIG TIME OWIE!!"

Obviously, there is risk at any time, and the results would be terrible. (I actually just burned the hell out my arm last weekend.) If you feel like you can keep them totally away from it, then you will be okay, but don't risk it if they like to wander or investigate. (Not sure I know a kid that doesn't) I usually cook in the front of the house, while the party is going on outback. Outta sight, outta mind for the little ones. (You can still smell it though!)

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And ounce of prevention and all that!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here