Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ Pork Loin suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBQ Pork Loin suggestions?

My brother is in town and I have been given a 6lb "pork loin boneless vp" cut from Kroger's to prepare for Sunday lunch. Pretty sure it's not tenderloin, which I understand is a better cut. I haven't done much pork loin. Last time I did one, I dry-brined it overnight, oilive oil with Simon & Garfunkel rub, smoked it at 230-250 in the KBQ to about 125-130 internal, then seared the crap out of it on an iron skillet to give it some color.

Sound OK or anyone got some better ideas?

Thanks
    -Mark

Sounds like a good plan to me. I once ran across a coffee-based rub (or maybe marinade) for roasted pork loin that was really good. It was in Joe Famularo's Joy of Grilling. Makes it special. If you've got a grid you can put over the firebox of the KBQ, that would be the best searing solution!

Bill sells one now that fits perfectly.

Comment

Yeah, I got the wire thing that goes over the firebox. Haven't had much luck with it. Putting stuff on top chokes off the air flow and I end up with soot. I'm using mesquite, though, which smokes pretty heavily.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I guess it's a matter of what the fire is like. Anyway, enjoy!

Keep us posted on the results

Comment

I love this site. You guys are always so supportive

My mom gave me this last Sunday, frozen, and it's been in the fridge ever since. Any concerns? My wife is worried I thawed it out too soon.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	PorkPic.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	532104

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          If it was in the fridge, it probably didn't really thaw for a couple of days. Smell it - your nose will tell you. If it's a bit funky, rinse it off and smell it again - unless it made you gag the first time. In which case, get a volunteer to smell it.

• lostclusters
          lostclusters commented
          Editing a comment
          What Ed said

dry brined all night

Name:	5AB51647-E80B-4717-A942-A3A0BDA11E7D.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	532689
        Seasoned & ready to smoke Click image for larger version

Name:	64021842-6115-4A3D-82F6-CC6E05EFA4A3.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	532690
        I’ve settled on this setup. The lid directs the smoke towards the top popett. Making good use of my PBC lol
        I control the temp with the bottom poppet, cracked open just a bit, with the top one wide open
        I don’t want anyone askin, did you smoke this?

Name:	39D583EF-3E1B-4568-A9FA-5CDABD08B62D.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	532691
        pulled it at 130, resting now
        it’s up to 138

Name:	5F1BC64E-2F7B-4BC3-9BCB-A73D76442FFD.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	532692
        Attached Files

Comment

We'll be waiting for the verdict. How long was it in there?

Comment

Took almost exactly two hours from when I put it in the box to when I pulled it. It's actually done early. Lunch isn't for another hour.

Comment

A friend of mine ate porch chops that had been marinaded in Chai tea I think and he said they we’re the best tasting pork chops he has ever eaten, has anyone else heard of this or tried it? I wonder if that would work for a pork loin? Maybe you would have to inject the pork loin?

Comment

Ta-da!

Name:	DF480A95-9496-4EA0-B309-6CD9F8502276.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	532806 flavor is good but a little tough
                will probably pull it sooner next timem

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here