Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning a Karubecue C60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning a Karubecue C60

WHo has one and I would like to see some detail on cleaning this bad boy. A great looking grill but I see a cleaning nightmare.

I just hose it out. pretty simple.

Comment

There are a couple of very long threads about the KBQ here. They are worth the time to read if thinking about getting one. There are about 40 of us here that own one.

Actually they're one of the easier grills to clean. Stainless steel so no worries about chipping any paint or porcelain or rusting.

The cook chamber can be quickly scraped of most grease and some folks use various cleaning agents and hose it out.

The control box I clean off the build up of soot just using a paper towel and dabbing it with distilled white vinegar.

The fire box is just a simple dumping out the ash.

The grates are no different than other grill grates. Easy to scrape off the chunks and I run them thru the dishwasher once or twice a year but most times I just wipe them down with some Dawn and rinse.

Comment

BBQ_Bill devised a way for the door to be taken off and uses a pressure washer. No tools are required to remove pieces, the firebox just sits on top. The control box you lift one end and then lift the tabs on the other end out of their respective slots. Racks slide out and the side pieces holding the racks are also held on with tabs. With BBQ_Bill's kit the door can be removed. The cook box can then be rinsed, scrubbed, or sprayed with oven cleaner.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          And using a hotel pan in the bottom slot will catch most all of the grease saving having to get it out of the cook box.

DeepRiver, I own two KBQ-C60 smokers.
        The cleaning of these smokers can be time consuming and a real burden, or quick and easy depending on just how clean you want it, what you believe to be important and safe for consumers, and what methods you use to clean the various components.
        When they were newer, I used to be a "clean freak" spending literally hours cleaning and polishing my units both inside and out, but decided it was ridiculous and not really needed for food safety, nor for any other reason besides "just because".
        -
        The advice that Histrix gave regarding reading the KBQ threads, and his methods are sound advice in my opinion.
        Also, I agree that removing grease from inside can be simple or not even needed as ComfortablyNumb mentioned.
        -​​​​
        Below are some links regarding cleaning the KBQ C-60 Smoker:
        1) HERE
        2) HERE
        3) HERE
        4) HERE
        5) HERE
        I will post more links above regarding the cleaning of this smoker this evening after work, but as was mentioned by my fellow KBQ'rs above, I personally use a power washer and sometimes just simply hose it out and wipe it down with dry towels.
        -
        Once every 10 or so smokes, I "deep-clean" by using a spray-on cleaner before the standard hosing or power washing.
        Currently, my grates are the only items that get a very thorough and detailed cleaning after each and every smoke/cook.
        My personal opinion is...
        The grates touch my customers and families food, so no quick rinse there. (Just the way I believe, but probably not critical)
        So the grates get a soak time in the bathtub, and then scrubbed well with a Scotchbrite pad, Dawn liquid plus Ajax scouring powder before a thorough hot-water rinse and close inspection for any scouring pad debris, etc.
        My fan/controller units get compressed air and an occasional toothbrush treatment after each smoke, plus a hot moist rag wipedown on the outside, but that is it for those units.
        My fireboxes get dumped, and hosed or power-washed out after each smoke.
        Removing the door makes wiping down the inside easier for me.
        -
        Smoke On!
        Last edited by BBQ_Bill; May 10, 2018, 10:09 PM. Reason: Added a couple more LiNKS.

Comment

Having the removable door makes things MUCH easier. I will use some oven cleaner, let it sit and then just hose it out. The Cookbox cleans up like new!

Comment

I have used my KBQ at least 20 times so far. I hose it out before and after each use. The grates clean up easily by just hosing them off, with a pressure nozzel on my hose, after use. About three cooks ago I scrubbed the inside of the cook box with a stainless steel scrubby and vinegar. I do both meats and salmon, separately of course and there is no flavor cross contamination that I can detect going on. I have experienced no cleaning nightmare.

Comment

Great advise above! Biggest difference for ease of cleaning to me is BBQ_Bill removable door kit, and a hotel pan lined with foil in the lowest slot it will fit in to catch most of the grease. Really it’s no big deal to clean.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I second this! Such a great Mod! Thanks again BBQ_Bill

• BBQ_Bill
                BBQ_Bill commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, thanks hogdog6 and Spinaker
                You are kind.

Thanks for the feedback!!

DR

Comment

Does anyone use a steam cleaner, and if so, some suggestions for brands and models?
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by new2smoking View Post
                  Does anyone use a steam cleaner, and if so, some suggestions for brands and models?
                  Thanks
                  Yep ... I've had this one since 2010 and it works great on grills, smokers, floors, showers, ... pretty much anything.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                    Dr. Pepper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here