Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kbq or pellet smoker what should i buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thread... I am jealous I want a KBQ too - don't have enough in the piggy yet

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Patience is a virtue, my friend. Good things come to those who wait.

There are positives and negatives with ANY smoker.
    The KBQ is no different.
    I still LUV these machines!
    Having owned two of Bill Karau's KBQs for awhile now, I am going to list EVERY Pro and Con I can think of.
    The following are MY opinions and MY observations regarding the two KBQ smokers I purchased.
    > They may be right wrong or indifferent, so be warned <
    -
    This list below will have edits as I remember attributes, good and bad...
    (Oh yeah, I want to post that too!)
    -
    KBQ PROS:
    1) INCREDIBLE flavor profile
    2) Good temperature control, plus quick and easy to change temperatures "on the fly"
    3) GREAT, no EXQUISITE (Otherworldly) Bark (Wow!) is possible
    4) Cooks faster due to increased air flow (convection)
    5) Wonderful control of the smokiness of product, from extremely light to medium/heavy.
    6) Compact footprint for a smoker that will cook 3 full packer briskets
    7) Modular design allows for 3 component disassembly for easier transport
    8) EXCELLENT customer support
    9) VERY old school solid and proven electronics that will last for a VERY long time
    10) Solid construction
    11) Good instruction set and arrives packaged very well
    12) Lighting the wood up is easy from the bottom two sides with a large torch
    -
    KBQ CONS: (*Cons I fixed*)
    1) Comes to you with MANY sharp edges, ready to cut you when cleaning up after the smoke unless you spend considerable time carefully deburring
    2) It is somewhat difficult to get a really heavy smoke flavor on my product (I can do it, but I gotta work at it)
    3) You must have 120 VAC available to smoke product (standard household electric source or generator, battery w/inverter)
    4) Easy to lose hot coals onto the ground below, which make for walking and fire hazards, etc.
    5) For searing, the smallish top will not work for larger cuts of meat, like full packer briskets
    6) Goes through more wood than my offset smokers and wood adds are more frequent
    7) *The non-removable door was a PITA and in my way when cleaning up after a smoke*
    8) *The door when open rested on the latch, and spritz/oil/juices drained on my driveway*
    9) Low to the ground. A bit low when accessing product.
    10) Pretty high priced.
    11) RED HOT firebox during smokes
    12) The wood needs to be about 10-1/2" long x 4-1/2" wide max to fit the "smallish" firebox

With all its faults, I STILL LUV MY KBQ's!
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; April 14, 2018, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Spinaker BBQ_Bill hogdog6 ComfortablyNumb Ernest Have a question do you know why the KBQ is $205 dollers more on Amazon than on the KBQ website?

Comment

• KBARD
        KBARD commented
        Editing a comment
        When I look at the price on Amazon it states "free shipping" so that is likely part of the reason... when I go the KBQ and plug in order and shipping the shipping is $94 to me (in Texas)

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Perhaps Bill has wised up. When I purchased, Amazon and his website were the same price with free shipping. I go with whichever is cheapest, if same I use Amazon for the extra protections. king kielbasa I suggest ordering direct from KBQ.

• ComfortablyNumb
        Editing a comment
        Huskee That is Bill selling it on Amazon.

I know you've made you your mind on the KBQ at this point, but another difference from a conventional stick burner that I might point out is that the KBQ needs "mini splits' if I am not mistaken, under 12" in length. I.e. you are not going to be able to burn full length logs, you will need to cut them from the standard 18" or whatever you might be using for your fireplace or stove.

Again, maybe I am wrong, but if not, maybe an easy solution is to just setup a chop saw or miter saw by your wood pile and cut already split logs in half before making a new pile for the KBQ....

I have the opposite problem with my fireplace. It's an ancient masonry fireplace built in the 60's, and I have a 36" grate in there, with two andirons (dogs) outside that, and all the firewood I get delivered these days is about 16-18" long and makes a ridiculous little fire in the middle of the fireplace. A few years ago all the firewood I would go pickup or have delivered was 24" or longer, but they've downsized it, along with everything else it seems.
      Last edited by jfmorris; April 14, 2018, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Good points sir.
        A Log Splitter and a 12" Carbide Miter Saw make short work of the KBQ's "mini-log" firewood needs.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I use a chop saw to cut my logs. The Bosch makes it easy.

Just checked my records king kielbasa
      I purchased my 1st KBQ in October 2016 for $1545.00
      Then the 2nd KBQ one year ago yesterday on April 13, 2017.
      The price was also $1545.00 (both times without paying for expert assembly)
      -----
      Mystery Solved! (kind of)
      At Amazon, the price is WITH shipping.
      Finally got his website to respond.
      -
      He charges shipping on top of the $1440.00
      To my home in Arizona is $102.79 FedEx Ground.
      So... roughly $100 bucks to ship.
      $1542.79 from his Website versus the $1545.00 I paid.
      -
      On the other hand... as mentioned, there is now a $100 price increase on Amazon.com so Huskee is probably right about the "Amazon piece of the pie" theory.
      Last edited by BBQ_Bill; April 14, 2018, 12:51 PM. Reason: Sort of solved the mystery

Comment

BBQ_Bill its 1,645 on amazon with free shipping . On the KBQ website 1,554 . Just going to get it from the website i know its a great built cooker . on amazon i get extra protection but i think nothing will happen if you take care of your kbq. jfmorris i already have the black and decker alligator loopers , a echo gas chain saw , and a yard max 35 ton gas log splitter so i think i will be good when it comes to cutting wood logs into smaller pieces. plus i have 1 cord of mix of California red oak and white oak, some plum, peach , and fig and avocado but don't know if the fig and avocado is that good to smoke with. I mean when i researched avocado wood for smoking you totally can but just don't know what the out come will be. I am just going to have to try. Should i pay the extra 130 dollers for protection or just get it from his site ? I am 90 percent shure that you guys never had a problem with the KBQ malfunctioning right? I wonder if there is a discount being a member from the pit or not?

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I personally prefer to deal directly with companies when possible, versus putting a middle man like Amazon in the loop. I figure the little guy makes more money selling directly versus reselling through Amazon, so why not help him out?

Sounds like you are well equipped to chop wood down to any size. Let us know how the avocado works out!

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          No doubt in my mind buying straight from bill you’ll be fine.

• lostclusters
          lostclusters commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine came with some minor damage from the shipper. I just broke out a hammer and made it right again.

EdF Yeah your right well here we go ordering right now!!!! I Will post pictures when it arrives Thank you all for the advice and support again

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          You will enjoy!

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          I'll back EdF. My KBQ arrived with cosmetic damage on a Friday. I sent Bill an email Saturday morning and he telephoned within an hour. Also, before he would ship to me I received an email from him making certain I fully understood the ins and outs of the KBQ so there wouldn't be any surprises or disappointments. king kielbasa

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Great choice!!!!

Just Purchased the KBQ CANT WAIT TO GET IT

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here