Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ - The "Maiden Voyage"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQ_Bill
    replied
    I have been using the "Quick Pins" and so far, other than being a bit wobbly they seem to work fine. I DO like the mod you just made though. I have access to several lathes and slitter/part-off tools that would work well to cut the grooves.
    -
    However, you COULD sell these sweet pins to the others here without full machine shop access.
    Here below is my imagined pin that your guys or mine could build on a CNC lathe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom Door Pin - 2.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	595672

So Rfuilrez I will tell you that my guys "hate" single-pointing thread,
    but will do it if in a bind.
    -
    This second sketch shows threads versus the slot.
    A washer and a nut will lock it up nicely.
    I am thinking 300 series Stainless on all parts.
    -
    They would run this as a 3/8" diameter bar and extend it about 1/2" to a stop.
    Turn, single-point and then part off and use a tray to catch the parts as the conveyor takes them out.
    -
    I too am a manual mill, manual lathe guy, but I go thru, correct, and then sign-off on the instructions for CNC and all other machine production procedures daily.
    -
    What do you think sir?
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; November 20, 2018, 11:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BBQ_Bill
    commented on 's reply
    So to install or remove the door, I gather that one would...
    1) Simply open or hold the door horizontally.
    2) Grasp the door edges outside and next to the pivot holes.
    3) Slightly bow both sides inward together towards the middle.
    4) Lift to remove door.
    Or... press the door downward to locate the pins and install the door.
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; November 19, 2018, 10:31 PM.

• BBQ_Bill
    commented on 's reply
    Very nice!
    So as long as the clips stay in place, they shouldn't get misplaced,
    Very cool idea!
    -
    Be sure and let us know if they continue to hold the door securely.
    I suppose if they don't, a slight tweak outwards on the door edges will put all back in the pink.
    Great idea Rfuilrez!

• JGrana
    commented on 's reply
    Great idea as well. My extension cord is getting stressed. I ordered one of these and the Quick Pins your mentioned. I will use them on my next cook.

• Rfuilrez
    replied
    I made a couple door hinge pins for my KBQ at work today. It’s just a piece of 1/4 stainless rod with 2 snap ring grooves in it to go on either side of the door. (Don’t mind the dirty KBQ lol)

Name:	BB488866-D071-44EA-93F6-B3CC803A340D.jpeg
Views:	634
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	593626

Name:	99C0FBC6-7575-4293-85E1-ADC93E69798F.jpeg
Views:	650
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	593625

Name:	3EF9FF42-D515-4EF7-908A-CF9761B6FCBC.jpeg
Views:	636
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	593624

Originally I made the stick out 1/8”, but it was too much. I knew it might be. I cut it down to about 1/16” and it fits nice now. Slightly bending the door, not enough to cause permanent deformation though, and it pops in and out. I’ll probably remake them out of larger stock to eliminate the outside snap ring and just put a shoulder on it. Also, it fits a little wobbly in the door holes. May or may not be a good thing. Gonna use it as is for a few cooks and cleanings and see what I think.

Leave a comment:

• Timcee
    commented on 's reply
    BBQ_Bill These look great.. Been traveling and right now in cold Norway but I think I'll just get them from you when I get home..bc I looked around before leaving and the ones I got weren't good at all..

• JGrana
    commented on 's reply
    Good idea using quick pins. Let us know how they work!!!

• BBQ_Bill
    replied
    Eureka moment for me...
    Continually using small kindling, chips and small chunks for a cook will quickly OVERFILL your ash box below the coal grate.
    Basically...
    The more smaller pieces you use, the FASTER the ash box below fills up.
    -
    Longer, larger diameter pieces make the best coal bed as they will provide higher heat due to holding their structure better and longer as they turn to coals and block the grate holes better as they collapse.
    When they finally go through the holes, more time has passed and your long smokes will not fill the ash box up.
    -
    Remember, ashes can only get so high in the ash box below the grate, and then they start being sucked thru the bottom poppet into the cook chamber and getting on the meat.

Leave a comment:

• BBQ_Bill
    commented on 's reply
    1/4" Histrix And... Okay Timcee I will order two more.
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; November 14, 2018, 10:47 PM.

• Histrix
    commented on 's reply
    What's the diameter of the pins?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here