Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ - The "Maiden Voyage"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is their a recipie or procedure for getting crispy skin on pork belly using a a KBQ?

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      You could try putting it on the grate to finish over the fire. I can't say if it would work as I've never tried it.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, turn the heat up in the KBQ and let it rip for the last 10 mins. All the way up is too high though. I would shoot for 350 or so.

• Taipan
      Taipan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for various responses. On my last cook I let er rip at the max setting. I use the little solid alcohol cubes to start the fire with a couple of splits of Lychee wood and the temp pushed past 325 going strong but then I started just adding one split at a time. The temp dropped to between 250-275. I finished the at the one split at a time temp. Need to ask if you can somewhat control the temp by the amount of wood in the firebox and or do some woods burn at different temps?

Let the thermostat control temp. Adjust the feeding of the Firebox to ensure the Coaltray openings are always covered with 1-2" of coals.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Taipan Notice Bill's (the "K" in KBQ) reply to you here.

• Taipan
      Taipan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I’m adjusting to the Zen of watching the wood burn.

I noticed my first cook was similar to other experiences. My brisket was dryer and cooked way faster than I expected. But the first cook was done under very poor conditions: 60+ mph winds, at night with rain, snow, blowing snow, and did I mention the wind?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here