Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ - The "Maiden Voyage"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    +1 on wondering where you've been. Miss seeing the farm updates.

• ComfortablyNumb
    commented on 's reply
    EdF So are milk cartons all about the Pacific Northwest!

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Your way is more or less how I do it. But I do like having that toolbox for the controller, thermometer etc. Yes to that pan in the bottom!

Was wondering about your whereabouts.

• ComfortablyNumb
    replied
    Originally posted by new2smoking View Post
    Stowing inside the cookbox means you have to keep a clean cookbox, and move grates around........😏
    BTW, Comfortably Numb, I just looked at your travel photos. Beautiful. My wife's family had a reunion on Flathead Lake last July, with her 90 year old mother the guest of honor. It was held at the Lutheran Bible Camp (they rent out to heathens on weekends), and relative from, of course, MN and ND were there. So, I recognized those highway passes. Have you stopped at Drummin Up BBQ in Coeur d'Alene?
    Why would you have to keep it clean? If you don't already have one of these, I suggest getting one, slide in the bottom slot and it catches anything headed for the floor. Stack the racks on their sides or put on top of the cook box before covering. I would put the firebox in first, it should fit fine without touching the sides. Then put the control box on top of it.

Thank you for the compliment, although I don't actually travel much. If someone didn't pay me to drive a truck I would stay home all the time. I haven't heard of Drummin' UP in CDA, but will look it up next time. I see a roadside board for a BBQ place in Wallace, but I haven't been through there at the right time (usually passing through in the late night/early morning hours, not to mention pulling doubles and Wallace is small!) but would like to try it out someday. If you have reason to cross the state on Highway 2 I highly suggest Tribune in Davenport. The Smoked Potato Salad is a must. Kettle Falls also has a new BBQ place, it's worth the stop if you find yourself there. Omak now has one too, but I wasn't that impressed. I'd eat there again, but if I was in Omak for only one meal the Breadline would win out.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Pepper
    replied
    Stowing inside the cookbox means you have to keep a clean cookbox, and move grates around........😏
    BTW, Comfortably Numb, I just looked at your travel photos. Beautiful. My wife's family had a reunion on Flathead Lake last July, with her 90 year old mother the guest of honor. It was held at the Lutheran Bible Camp (they rent out to heathens on weekends), and relative from, of course, MN and ND were there. So, I recognized those highway passes. Have you stopped at Drummin Up BBQ in Coeur d'Alene?

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    I stow the firebox in the cookbox, and have a nice plastic toolbox to hold the controller and miscellanea. That goes into the garage.

If you're willing to go that route, this one fits the body perfectly.

• ComfortablyNumb
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not with my KBQ at present, but I believe you could put the firebox and the control box inside the cook box, then you would only need a simple square to cover the cook box, less work and material to make, therefore less cost. Good to know your skills, if I spring a leak and can't make it to Cripple Creek I'll go over the hill and see you... ;-)

• BBQ_Bill
    commented on 's reply
    If Loctite is used, I suggest number 272 red which will go up to 450°F before melting/changing. Most of the others are 300°F before they turn back into a semi-liquid that actually has a pretty good lubricity. Basically to break the bond of Loctite, heat is applied.

• Dr. Pepper
    replied
    I have been following you two (Bill and Rfuilrez). I'm impressed. I can innovate in suturing humans (surgeon), but am helpless when it comes to modifying metal to solve a problem. I would purchase a pair of these pins when they are available. Removing the door would make clean up much more efficient and thorough.
    Question: Has anyone made a cover for their C-60? I wrote to Bill K, but he doesn't sell any. I put my C-60 in the back of the minivan and brought it to a boat cover/reupholster (Seattle area). They measured, took photos, and called me back later with a $650 price for one out of Sunbrella! No thanks. My thought was a cover which would go over the top with the firebox attached. This would give a nice pitch to shed water. It should of course be a few cm shy of the ground. Could also keep the controller in place underneath the cover. If someone made these, I bet they would have a reasonably sized market to sell to here.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    to many years in aviation. it looks naked without washer and or locking nut.

• Rfuilrez
    commented on 's reply
    HawkerXP lock washers actually are useless. They actually provide no benefit.

If they end up working great (which after yesterday’s turkey cook, and so far today doing bacon seems like they’re going to do just fine) I will loctite them and probably forget about them lol.

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    no lock washers?

• BBQ_Bill
    replied
    BRISKET FLAT MOISTNESS
    I've recently noticed something a bit odd that I would like to share with my friends here.
    It is the way the brisket flat surface looks visually immediately after the brisket is cut in half.
    -
    It's hard to describe, and I have not read of this meat surface "attribute" anywhere else on the web.
    Am wanting to share it here with the KBQ family and those that are struggling to get a moist brisket flat.
    -
    In examining the surface of the meat of a brisket that has just freshly been cut, I noticed something that caught my eye.
    A really moist flat, versus a dryer flat has a slightly different look besides the obvious moisture we see in some web photos.
    I am aware that one might spray oil or water on the surface to "fake" a moist flat, but I don't believe that this attribute can be faked. (Am not sure though as this is a new discovery)
    -
    Please bear with me as I may be in some "odd and foreign land of smoke" on this...
    Photos with descriptions will show this best, and are to follow shortly when I get them together.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Click image for larger version  Name:	View 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.0 KB ID:	597010Click image for larger version  Name:	View 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	139.4 KB ID:	597012Click image for larger version  Name:	View 4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	654.7 KB ID:	597011Click image for larger version  Name:	View 3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	81.5 KB ID:	597009

My thoughts are that the openings, or gaps in the surface of the cut flat increase in size and number when the meat is dry and are closed and few when it is more moist.
    If I can see fat that is not totally rendered in gaps of the point, that seems normal.
    There is less fat in the flat, and lots of gaps as seen in the top left photos appears to me to be really dry.
    -
    This observation may mean absolutely nothing, and I may delete this post.
    Upon further research, I will decide whether I am as mentioned, "In a smoky and far away land" or I am "on cue."

Time will tell.
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; November 24, 2018, 12:07 PM. Reason: Added 4 different brisket photos to explain my thoughts more clearly.

Leave a comment:

• Rfuilrez
    commented on 's reply
    Histrix not really the sides so much as the whole door. I grab both sides, pull it to one side, and kinda flex the whole thing with both hands. One side will pop out and then you just have to pull it up. I don’t know if everyone would be capable of putting the force necessary to do it though. It doesn’t seem like a lot to me, but I’ve been wrong before!

• Histrix
    commented on 's reply
    So the idea of the pins is that the sides of the door needs to be flexed a bit to endgage/disengage the door?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here