Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ Roll Call

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't take credit for this or the photography but the fellow I purchased my used KBQ from had his mounted on a cart. Yes, it does bring the firebox to eye level and it makes it difficult to look down into the firebox when added wood but I don't have to bend down to open the door and I can move the cooker around with little effort. I also purchased a different tool to lift the lid which prevents it from swinging around from side to side. I bent the shaft on the tool into a curve so it is easier to insert into the eyebolt on the lid. Works for me.

Here is the link to the tool.

Attached Files

Comment

• Coconut Monkey
      Coconut Monkey commented
      Editing a comment
      This cart idea is brilliant. Thanks so much for sharing!

• ddevine
      ddevine commented
      Editing a comment
      If you decide trying the cart. I moved the KBQ toward toward the rear of the wagon so I have space in the front to fold down the the door somewhat and let it rest on the removable front panel on the wagon. If I want to get out the water pan near the bottom rack of the smoker I just unclip the front panel, lower the handle and I can lay the KBQ door completely flat. Just a couple of bolts and wing nuts through the wheel support legs. Next mod is to replace the handle bolt with a removable pin.

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      That cart is a great idea. The thing I don't like about mine and looking to modify is the size of the casters. They are too small and don't roll well.

Coconut Monkey here are pics of mine on a a table and witH BBQBills mods. I use a hotel pan in the bottom as a water pan. Many don't use a water pan but I do if for nothing else it makes clean up so easy.
    i cut the legs on the table to the height I wanted. The fire box is below eye level. Go to KBQ has landed and find posts from Histrix. He is the one that had the table idea with Amazon links.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	B6D84C8E-C440-4D6C-92A9-F857159EE478.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	25.4 KB ID:	875926
    Click image for larger version  Name:	86398CF3-9E95-4607-B77B-6F7D47569C20.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	22.6 KB ID:	875925
    sorry I don't know why they're not oriented correctly I'm not smart enough to fix.
    Last edited by hogdog6; July 5, 2020, 03:04 PM.

Comment

My maden voyage with my first KBQ C-60 was 7/4/2020. Incredible

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Tell us more! And welcome!

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        We love pics!

I was so excited when it got delivered i started a brisket at 7:30pm 😂, taste was delicious and point was plenty juicy but i fell asleep and wraped too late so lost alot of moisture and it showed. Gonna do 3 packer briskets tomorrow for the weekend and i am sure they will be great.
      Attached Files

Comment

Arrived this week! Check out that new new

Can’t wait to christen her this weekend!
        Attached Files

Comment

Almost paradise...
          Attached Files

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Lucky you. My county has issued a burn ban for the rest of the summer, even charcoal grills are prohibited.

Random question. The Included thermometer doesn’t fit into the designated hole - anyone else experience this? Probably not a big deal as I’m likely going to use a TW Smoke device or similar - but curious nonetheless.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't think mine came with one. I wound up getting a Thermapen Air. Fits right into the hole on top, and is close enough for my temp-monitoring needs.

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            Mine came with a Thermapen. It fit into the hole. One former member complained his did not. But rest assured, KBQ Bill Karau is serious about customer service. But bear in mind, only the tip of the thermometer fits into the hole.

• KBQ
            KBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a snug fit to avoid rattling, and sometimes a tiny bit of laser slag interferes. Put a drop of vegetable oil on the thermometer and see if you can work it in with some twisting - it's a pretty tough thermometer

Great - thanks guys. I’ll upload a pic and show you what I mean.

godspeed - working for the weekend

Comment

Worked like a charm! - thanks KBQ Bill!

I stretched her legs today - early cold/warm (110ish) apple smoke on some home dry-cured bacon and then opened her up this afternoon with oak around 275 for some spatchcock chicken.

Awesome machine.
            Attached Files

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              Looking good. Another place to keep your fire tender is in the first hole on the side of the firebox with the handle over the control box.

Happy Day!!! Just got the KBQ! I've been wanting one for a long long time!!!
            Attached Files

Comment

• stutz57
              stutz57 commented
              Editing a comment
              Since it's 102 outside, I thought I put it together inside. I love Texas but not so much in August.

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              It looks really good there, leave it as an accent piece and buy another for outdoor use

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              It looks like a said little pet begging to go outside and play.

Unbelievable, I ordered mine on Sunday, supposed to arrive on Thursday. Talk about quick! Now I’m in a rush to get everything ready.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Congrats!

• alabamamike
              alabamamike commented
              Editing a comment
              I ordered mine on a Thursday and it arrived two days later on Saturday! Amazon estimated 2 weeks for delivery. I wasn't ready for it! Still hadn't gotten my wood supply together

Originally posted by Ronaldf123 View Post
            Unbelievable, I ordered mine on Sunday, supposed to arrive on Thursday. Talk about quick! Now I’m in a rush to get everything ready.
            Welcome to the KBQ family! You are gonna love it.

Comment

Ordered one up last week and getting ready to take it for the maiden voyage. 2 racks of SLC ribs on deck! I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                Pictures!

Hi everyone. I'm fortunate to have accidentally stumbled into your neighborhood. I'm happy to find this resource. For the last 8 years, I have been using a Broil King Keg 5000 kamado style cooker and it has served me well. After much research on stick burners, I purchased a KBQ-60, and embarked on a whole new journey , learning and creating better BBQ. Everyone's happy with what's coming off the pit these days. My wife says that I am creating the best BBQ ever! I'm learning lots and I have to give a shout out to Bill Karau for his great invention!

Comment

Got mine last week, but didn’t get around to putting it together until today. Have some beef ribs dry brining in the fridge and ready to go tomorrow morning. Basic boring assembly pic below- don’t worry about all the stuff nearby, that isn’t where I’ll be using it!

For the record, I read every single post in the "KBQ Has Landed" so hopefully I’ll avoid rookie mistakes. I started on my meat smoking adventure in 2018 with a cheap Masterbuilt vertical gasser (still have it- use it after wrapping as an outdoor oven), moved to mainly using PBC in 2019, and decided to go stick burner here in 2020.

On a side note, does BBQ Bill still sell door kits?
                Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here