Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ Roll Call

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long time luker on the site so finally decided to chime in regarding my KBQ.
    Made the purchase in 2018 after reading all posts. Very nice machine (never
    had a smoker I could hose out after using!!)
    Made a few mods: bought a cart (former Costco sample table), added wheels which make it
    very easy to store when not in use, discovered my temp probes (Firebird 4 lead) can be
    snaked thru the holes at each front corner. Also purchased the Alligator and log
    splitter from Amazon. Here in Puget Sound only have access to alder, maple and apple.
    Initial smoke was a pot roast--delicious! Next smoked a pork loin and a boston butt--both came out perfect. Been nailing ribs while building up to a brisket.

Thanks for all the excellent info from all the forum users!!

Love this smoker!! Click image for larger version

Name:	kbq on cart.jpg
Views:	1047
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	747555Click image for larger version

Name:	pot roast on kbq.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	747556

Comment

I've had my KBQ since mid-2017 and I can't say enough about the engineering of this "magic box" as we like to call it around here. Our first smoke was delicious but after we improved our fire maintaining skills the results were incredible. Bill's support for the KBQ is also exceptional. I once was cooking for a large 4rth of July get together and was having some issues with the control box (it wasn't tracking temps correctly). I used the KBQ's contact us page to ask him what might be the issue. I figured I'd hear back in a day or so. Nope, Bill called me back w/in an hour, on July 4rth, to walk us through the issue. (Was just a dirty sensor.) You don't find support or a product like this very often.

I'm glad to see others who have found the wonders of the "magic box"!
      Attached Files

Comment

SmokyMikeBBQ
        Beautiful Q and nice "mods"
        Welcome to the KBQ Family Roll Call!
        Your smoker lines up as number 66.
        Congrats!
        -
        SmokinTexas
        I see that you also have some good lookin' Q tucked inside that "Magic Box"
        A hearty welcome to you as well!
        Your machine answers the Roll Call as number 67.
        Wise purchase!

Comment

BBQ_Bill

Sir,

My KBQ came today. Please give me a number. Thank You

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Congratulations!

Howdy frigate !
          Most happy to add you to the ComfortablyNumb KBQ Roll Call!
          -
          Your Smokin' Machine lines up at Number 68 in the growing "family" of owners.
          And... I would like to add my Congratulations to you as well!
          -
          Please note that there is a wealth of information here in The Pit regarding the KBQ smoker.
          You will find info on maintenance, tips, tricks, settings, and all sorts of good stuff here in the posts.
          If per chance you don't find answers to all of your KBQ questions, do feel free to ask as there are a lot of great pitmasters here to help clear the smoke and share their knowledge
          -
          Smoke On!

Comment

• frigate
            frigate commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. I have no problem asking questions and with the little I know if I can help I will. There are people on this site who have forgotten more about smoking than I know. The first cook is tomorrow.

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            And, I had neglected to let BBQ_Bill know that his solution for a removable front door (to facilitate cleaning) was a great modification/hack! (Remove and cut in half the rod, and use a hollow SS tube to 'reconnect' them.) Thanks, Bill.

frigate
          Wishing you the very best on your 1st smoke/cook!
          Mine was two beef packer briskets and they were absolutely incredible.
          -
          Dr. Pepper
          Happy that the KBQ Door Kit arrived and works well for you.
          Thank you for the kind comments.
          -
          Smoke On!

Comment

I am now officially in possession of a KBQ. It arrived late last Saturday, too late to cook after assembling and marveling at the brilliance of design. High wind prevented the inaugural cook on Sunday. That's not the end of my excuses to keep it pristine either. This Saturday is a family function elsewhere, so Sunday next looks promising as the time when it and I finally become better acquainted.

BBQ_Bill - Respectfully requesting enumeration, sir.

Comment

Howdy scottingaround
              You sir, have made a very wise choice in regards to this smoker. (Fer Sure)
              I say this because after many years, I now can produce light blue smoke to bathe my products in very, very easily, and this can be a struggle at times for those not blessed with a KBQ smoker.
              You too now, will be amazed and delighted!
              Due to the fact that you are now requesting to be added to this growing list, you automatically become a part of the KBQ Family here at The Pit.
              -
              I hereby announce that you own the official Sixty-Ninth KBQ to be added to theComfortablyNumb Roll Call.
              -
              Congrats and please know that we are here for you with tips, tricks and great friendship.
              LOTS of help is available by simply asking, also please check out the many KBQ threads/posts for info.

Smoke On!
              Last edited by BBQ_Bill; October 22, 2019, 10:31 PM. Reason: Added a proper welcome to our new KBQ Family Member.

Comment

• scottingaround
                scottingaround commented
                Editing a comment
                A most gracious welcome, I am honored. I can't wait to see and taste the results from the KBQ. The Pit is truly amazing.

I just bought a KBQ from another forum member here and I can't wait to fire it up this weekend. Just looking at the pit I can honestly say that it has already exceeded my expectations - amazing build quality - it's a true engineering marvel in my opinion. If it works half as good as it looks it will be a winner, for sure.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                You're going to like it. If you didn't get the coolie that came with it you can get one from Bill Karau KBQ and join in at the KBQ Tradition thread.

Devil_Inside

Such a... SMOKING DEAL!
              Of course, someone with the "Devil Inside" SHOULD get a "Smoking Deal"
              Alas... living in Phoenix AZ, I was simply too far away to grab that KBQ.
              -
              Your wise acquisition places this machine at NUMBER 70 in this ComfortablyNumb Roll Call.
              Congrats!

Comment

Fed Ex (or somebody) delivered mine 10/30/19.

Comment

Howdy pmillen
                  Your very smart purchase and declaration of delivery to you here in the ComfortablyNumb KBQ Roll Call places your machine at... NUMBER 71.
                  We are quite a strong group of helpful and experienced KBQ owners here sir!
                  -
                  There are also many informative threads here in "The Pit" making up a HUGE knowledge base.
                  It is one that you can truly count on for your future smokes.
                  -
                  We welcome you to our large and growing KBQ family Paul!

Smoke On!
                  Last edited by BBQ_Bill; November 4, 2019, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I just got mine last month and am finally starting to get it dialed in. I'm a long-time griller, and I really love the food that comes out of the KBC! I'll attach a pic of the first brisket I did on it, which was for a party for some friends

Corey
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Andrrr
                      Andrrr commented
                      Editing a comment
                      First off, that looks delicious. Well done. That smoker seems like the tool I’ll always want but never get.
                      Second, and maybe I’ve misunderstood the functionality of the KBQ, but what do you mean by "get it dialed in"? You can probably guess I don’t own one but from what I’ve read it seems pretty straightforward aside from throwing more wood on every 40 mins.

• rhequiem
                      rhequiem commented
                      Editing a comment
                      For me, it was learning how the top and bottom poppets control the smoke profile. For my first few cooks, I was running the bottom poppet wide open and the top one full closed. What resulted was food that tasted like it was cooked in an oven, almost - very clean. The only wood I have right now is almond, which is awesome, but has a very gentle smoke flavor. So now I'm running the top poppet wide open and the bottom one nearly closed, and I've been MUCH happier with the food that I've been making

• rhequiem
                      rhequiem commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's what I meant about getting it "dialed in". You have so much control over the smoke profile with the KBC that you really need to understand how the wood you're using is going to flavor the food, how strong that flavor will be, and how much of that flavor you want on the food depending on what you're cooking. It's a bit different than any other smoker I've used, but the level of control it gives you for a stick burner is just amazing. So happy with it, even if it cost and arm & a leg hehe

Andrrr I have a KBQ, and love it. But, I do have to feed it every 20 minutes, not 40.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
                      BBQ_Bill commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have discovered that the density of the wood makes a big difference in how often I feed my KBQ's.
                      Heavier larger pieces give me more time than lighter thinner pieces.
                      My three cheap, thin metal offsets were typically every 30 minutes or thereabouts.

• Ernest
                      Ernest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      How's the quality of your wood?

• Ernest
                      Ernest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      BBQ_Bill that's what I found as well. I found a great forestry place that has beautiful wood logs. Makes a Huge difference

I would smoke it for 5 or 6 hours until it has a great bark, then peach paper wrap and put in oven at 250 until it gives up.

Comment

• rhequiem
                      rhequiem commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I ran the bisket I posted *entirely* in the KBC, for a 12-Hour cook lol I did wrap it about 5 hours in, but I had to keep feeding the KBC wood which, in my opinion, is hardly worth mentioning because it's so fast and easy. The only reason worth mentioning it would be an overnight cook, which I could see as a potential issue

• BBQ_Bill
                      BBQ_Bill commented
                      Editing a comment
                      VERY close to my process for packer brisket. 9-1/2 to 10 hours in the smoke, then peach paper wrap and into a moist oven until ready for the two hours rest.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here