Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ Roll Call

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EdF hey looking at purchasing that kindling cracker do you use it a lot when adding wood to the kbq ? Already have a gas wood splitter ? Do you add really small diameter pieces to the kbq I would think that just would burn up way fast . Anyone else use that kindling cracker ?

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I went with the XL just because I use it a lot and it handles a bigger piece. If you have them split to a size that fits the regular, then you can go with that.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty much the same as ComfortablyNumb here!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Also use smaller splits with the Ooni Pro, so the KC is multi-purpose around here.

ComfortablyNumb EdF Cool thanks guys . I wanted to tell you and everyone else that SRF whole wagyu briskets were at Costco for 4.99 a pound !!!!! That’s a steal . Some one posted it on reddit.com and it was only 3 stores in California that we’re carrying them . So I missed out and they were all sold out before I can go down there . I think Costco is trying out SRF for the demand and I hope they will be at all Costco locations . I think a lot of locations in Texas are carrying srf whole packer briskets from what I heard . I should post this in the deal thread but it’s sold out now so when I see it it stock I will post it . Just look out everyone at your local Costco for srf whole briskets

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      My local Costco is only 100 miles away.

• king kielbasa
      king kielbasa commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow that sucks

Add me to the KBQ roll. Picked one up in central Nebraska

Comment

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome

• Smocalypse
      Smocalypse commented
      Editing a comment
      Greetings from Lincoln.

You Greatplainsbrewer are hereby officially entered into the ComfortablyNumb KBQ Roll Call with machine number 47.
    Congratulations on an excellent purchase!
    -
    I will be adding LINKS here for you to check out that will point you to helps, tricks and hints for your new KBQ smoker.
    Please feel free to ask the KBQ Family/Club here any questions that come up as you begin your flavorful and smoky journey to BBQ Bliss!
    -
    "KBQ ~ Has Landed" can be found HERE
    "KBQ - The Maiden Voyage" can be found HERE

Smoke On!
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; August 7, 2018, 09:15 PM. Reason: Added two Links

Comment

I placed my order for KBQ yesterday! I had planned to build a gravity feed cabinet smoker but the KBQ itch got the better of me.

Comment

Congratulations Rfuilrez!
        And...
        WELCOME to the KBQ Family/Club!
        -

With your purchase, (and your notice here) you have just "officially" registered the 48th KBQ machine in this Super Smokers "Club"!
        Your post here which logs your name in the ComfortablyNumb KBQ Roll Call, notifies us to offer our extended hand of help and point you to a veritable "mountain" of assistance with your future smokes on this incredible machine!
        -
        Please consider us as your friends as we here in this Roll Call are all fellow KBQ owners.
        You sir, have just linked up with a great bunch of guys and gals that KNOW HOW TO MAKE IT HAPPEN when it comes to the unbelievable and seriously "other worldly" flavor that this machine can produce when smoking various meats.
        -
        Above your post is one in which I have already placed a couple of very important links regarding using your new machine.
        Please go through the posts in these links to discover a wealth of knowledge regarding the use and care of your new KBQ.
        -
        Again, CONGRATS on an EXCELLENT CHOICE in smokers!
        Smoke On!

Comment

Received mine late August, 2018. Smoked 4 Costco pork shoulders for anticipated 70-80 employees and families. After a spectacular 3 months of sun and heat in Seattle, it was cold and drizzly the day of the beach party, and only 16 people (of the 70 + RSVPs) came. Delicious meat, sent people home with bags of pulled pork, vacuum bagged and froze a lot as well.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome! Appreciate your ambition!

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            EdF & Bill, Thanks for welcoming us. I did bite off a lot, but spent quite a lot of time reading this site, the KBQ posts, and called Bill Karau for advice. He was very helpful, as you all know. I had been considering other smokers, including the convenience of the pellet feeders. My wife, of course, is completely perplexed as to why I would want to feed this awesome machine wood every 2o min!

Excellent purchasesDr. Pepper and briancc!
          And you Daniel, have started off using your new KBQ with your "foot to the firewall"... looks like you are at "Full Throttle" sir!
          SUPER!
          -
          There are at least 3 links I need to post for you two gents to browse.
          They are all dedicated to this incredible KBQ smoker you guys have purchased.
          By posting here and "registering" in this Roll Call of ComfortablyNumb's your "August machine purchases" places you firmly into our "family" of KBQ owners.
          A BIG CONGRATS to you both for your wise purchase!
          -
          We are here to help you guys truly get the most from your wonderful machines.
          Simply post in any of the KBQ discussions with your questions and experiences and we will read and respond as needed.
          -
          You my friends, have announced the 49th & 50th KBQ machines to be counted in this Roll Call.
          A serious Welcome and again, a very hearty Congratulations to you both on choosing one of the best "back-yard" smokers on the market!
          -
          LINKS
          1) "KBQ ~ Has Landed" can be found HERE
          2)
          "KBQ - The Maiden Voyage" can be found HERE
          3) "
          KBQ - The POPPETS" is found HERE

Smoke On!
          Last edited by BBQ_Bill; September 22, 2018, 03:16 PM. Reason: Added #50 due to lack of room in comments

Comment

Took delivery of my KBQ in August 2018. Very happy with it.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
              BBQ_Bill commented
              Editing a comment
              There is not enough room in comments for me to give you the welcome and congratulations you deserve briancc so I will edit the above August entry to include yours.

My KBQ is currently smoking up a USDA PRIME Packer!!! Ooooohoooooooo that Smell!!!!!!

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
              BBQ_Bill commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed bro! After loading up these Incredible machines with packers, the aroma that comes later is "other worldly"! (I and I'm pretty sure a host of others in my neighborhood begin to drool!) LOL!

• cabbot1
              cabbot1 commented
              Editing a comment
              So far I have done spare ribs, baby back ribs, beef ribs and a turkey and chicken, I think I am ready for a long cook with a packer soon, I usually would just do briskets overnight on my xl egg but I want to try one on the kbq very soon.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              You got this! I love those long cooks on the KBQ. They are work, but the rewards are endless! Thanks for your support and welcome to The Pit! cabbot1

I have also used this for quick chuletas de cordero (lamb chops) cut thin from a Costco rack, one bone per slice. I started the fire and used the grill on top, in two shifts, very fast (2 min per side, just salt and pepper.) Wood grilled (not BBQ), convenient, and delicious.

Today I am prepping 4 short rib plates slabs (fat, membranes off), salting, then tomorrow I will try the CCC (Coffee, Cacoa, Chile) rub recipe from Clint Cantwell.

As succulent as brisket but with a ready-to-carry bone, this slow smoked beef rib recipe rivals those served at the top BBQ joints in Texas. Unlike the traditional salt and pepper rub, the beef ribs are seasoned with coffee, cocoa, and chile for a bold burst of flavor that perfectly compliments their smoky beef flavor.

Thanks all.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Set an example for us lazy ones, Man! ;-)

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              BTW, when I salt them for a dry brine:
              Can I do that overnight?
              Should they be on racks? Can I lay them on top of each other (fridge space issue)
              Do you rub or rinse them the day of cooking before applying the rub?
              What's your opinions regarding cutting them up or leaving the plate intact. I am worried about too intense of flavors if there is rub everywhere.

• BBQ_Bill
              BBQ_Bill commented
              Editing a comment
              I cut my beef ribs into individual ribs and work each individually.

Dr. Pepper
            I weigh my briskets after trimming them and then measure out my Kosher salt for each one.
            I use 1/2 Teaspoon per pound of meat.
            Next, the salt is carefully spread over the meat attempting to add a bit more on the thicker areas.
            Bottom line is after vacuuming them down tightly, each one goes into a 33°F holding for one to two weeks.
            This allows the salt to penetrate into the meat deeply.
            -
            As far as my beef ribs, to make them "Rock"?
            My procedure is to weigh, salt per weight (50% less due to bone), vacuum down, sit at 33°F overnight, open and sear over Mesquite flames the next morning, spritz, and rub with other spices by "eye".
            Next, into the KBQ at 135°F.
            -
            Remember that beef plate ribs are very rich and can take a bit more rub than brisket.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
              BBQ_Bill commented
              Editing a comment
              Oops! DEFINATELY 235°F. THANKS for catching that!
              Better if cut into individual ribs prior to dry brine as the salt can get deeper in that overnight rest in the fridge.

• BBQ_Bill
              BBQ_Bill commented
              Editing a comment
              Just make sure there is no salt when you rub them the next morning as most commercial rubs have a lot of salt in them. (Might make them too salty)

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              Will do (re: salt). I have made the CCC rub (Ancho Chile, Cacoa, & coffee, black pepper, brown sugar. No additional salt.) But, you don't rinse the ribs after the overnight dry brine, correct? Do you pat them dry, or just apply the rub to the moistened surface? (BTW, I don't know your time zone, I'm in Seattle, so no problem if you're done for the night!)

No need to rinse as the amount of salt you use should make them just right and not too salty.
            I would go directly from the dry brine to a patting dry with paper towels.
            -
            Now I sear over Mesquite coals to add the umami of the Maillard Reaction to the surface of the ribs.
            Also, the beef fat rendering into oil, and that oil dripping onto the Mesquite coals will flare up and add the Tootsie Tomanetz touch, aka cowboy campfire style of flavor to the surface of the ribs. (YUM)
            -
            Go ahead and get a nice browning of the three meaty sides (omitting the bone side)
            Next, spritz with apple cider vinegar and and then apply your rub.
            I will try to find a photo of my ribs being seared on my 22-1/2" Weber Kettle.
            Found it...
            HERE
            This link above goes to a write-up I did for beef ribs Dr. Pepper.
            Last edited by BBQ_Bill; September 22, 2018, 11:41 PM. Reason: Link added and a typo fixed

Comment

I bought one back in July and I love it.
              Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome to the KBQ-Pack! Bark! Bark!

• hogdog6
                hogdog6 commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome, looks like a KBQ cook to me... delicious 😋

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Man, I love that color the KBQ puts on ribs. EdF hogdog6 cabbot1

Thanks guys i am glad to be here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here