Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ Roll Call

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am actually wanting Mr. Karau's latest KBQ-400 for James at JL Smokehouse.
    Left a message for Bill and he said he is adding a "tweak" so I will wait for the latest and greatest.
    Bill Karau is a VERY smart man and I don't want to rush him really.
    Am sure it is gonna cost a "pretty penny" so we will see how much JL wants to spend

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      It was really funny that he announced it on April 1!

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw a video of the 400. Looks like there are two c-60 fire boxes put together. I guess, from the model number, that it will hold 400 lbs.

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      I think he says it will smoke 25 briskets at one time.
      So... 25 X 16 pounds each = 400 pounds!
      You "nailed" it lostclusters

The video on Youtube was posted 31 March 2017.
    It is where Bill and Ms Friedrich went over the attributes.
    So he announced it the next day on April Fools Day huh?
    How funny!
    My wife was born April 1st, and I married her on that day saying "I am a fool for you baby!"

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm a fool for my wife too!

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF BBQ_Bill I don't get a choice, my wife says I am a fool, and that is when she is in a good mood! ;-)

Well I recently had a financial development that upped my KBQ schedule planned for September. I did it! I got a call from Bill Karau tonight asking where I learned of the KBQ etc. Really cool to get a personal phone call from him as the inventor/owner etc. Needless to say I'm super excited!! It will ship tomorrow!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9943.PNG
Views:	283
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	525810

Comment

So a warm CONGRATS to you JakeT!
      Your KBQ purchase gives you an honorary position in our growing KBQ Family/Club!
      You sir, are entered as the owner of the 46th machine to be enrolled in ComfortablyNumb's KBQ Roll Call!
      -
      WE here in the KBQ Family/Club are just a question away when you are in need of guidance in use, cleaning, etc.
      Feel free to ask!
      If we can't find the answers, we will go to "Higher Powers"!
      -
      Smoke On!

Comment

Thank you @BBQ_Bill!! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.

To start it off right, I'll ask one now!

Locally there is a cooking food wood supplier. The wood comes in standard sized "splits" of various different woods. They sell it in 1.7 cubic feet bags. I can cut to a better size to fit into the firebox but do you think that will suffice or be too dry? Also, how many 18" splits per hour of cooking? (not sure if there is an answer to that question)

Going to hopefully make a trip out somewhere to stock up on wood!

Comment

• JakeT
          JakeT commented
          Editing a comment
          ComfortablyNumb, that wasn’t clear, I was saying there were only a couple I saw with oak, which I’m totally ok with, the garbage wood I was referring to was people have all sorts of scrap wood like pine or old pallets. If I saw a load of post oak I’d snatch it up quick!

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          I checked the Sac and SF CL's, I saw plenty of oak and almond available. Two items you may want to put on your wish list are a cut off saw and a Kindling Cracker.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Miter saw to half them, Kindling Cracker to split them thinner. You're in business. If you use the miter saw, be really careful that the piece is set firmly on the table.

Agreed ComfortablyNumb.
        Post Oak is the traditional smoking wood and produces a mild flavor.
        The "King of Brisket" Aaron Franklin uses Post Oak almost exclusively.
        -
        JakeT HERE is a Link to a thread that has a lot of great info regarding firewood for your KBQ.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          JakeT I have used white Oak to smoke close to 100 packer briskets.
          The "eaters" LUV it!
          I switched to Mesquite, because the KBQ produces high quality blue smoke so "scary Mesquite" works great and is plentiful in my area.

• JakeT
          JakeT commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the link! If I had access to plentiful mesquite I’d be all over it. But like i said above I’m completely happy using oak I just didn’t happen to see much on the free section of craigslist!

JakeT
        Staying with Craigslist, go to this Link and read HERE.
        This system I am currently using really works well and I now have all of the wood I need, plus enough to keep JL Smokehouse in wood as well.

Comment

I just picked up 3.4 cu ft of Hickory, and 3.4 cu ft of Mesquite today. I have found both almond and oak locally I can go pick up for a good price, which would you guys recommend? I like a good strong smoke flavor btw.

Kindling cracker on order, and one hotel pan as well. I won't need a table saw as I have skilsaws. Any other essentials?

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Got a chimney to start the charcoal for the starting fire? And good gloves? A Thermopen Air to drop into the cookbox from up top near the control box works really well for keeping track of the ambient temp.

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            Hickory and Mesquite to me have a stronger flavor.
            Almond and Oak, a lighter profile, but this is just my taste and your "mileage may vary"

• JakeT
            JakeT commented
            Editing a comment
            EdF I’ve got all of those! Now I’m just worried about being able to sleep from the excitement!

JakeT upon eating my fair share of pellet smoked meats, I agree that the smoke flavor profile from a pellet machine is somewhat light when compared to most of the "stick burner" product I have consumed.
          Also, with most stick burners, one can get ALL kinds of carried away with "heavy smokiness"
          -
          There was a discussion here in "The Pit" regarding a Pit Member named ls1m (Mark) who purchased a KBQ.
          This fellow is also quite fond of "stronger smoke flavor" profiles.
          You might want to go HERE to read this discussion of his search for more a more intense KBQ smoke flavor.
          -
          From what I recall, near the end of all of the discussion, the MAN himself, Mr. KBQ chimed in and stated that he believed that Mark was looking for the flavor of creosote.
          (Mr. Karau's statement can be found HERE)
          -
          I hope this is just the help you need to get that great smoky flavor you like!
          So with all of this I say...
          Smoke On!
          Last edited by BBQ_Bill; July 3, 2018, 09:28 PM. Reason: Grammar Edit

Comment

JakeT
          As is stated above, the KBQ is all stainless steel, with no paint.
          From everything I know, the "virgin" KBQ needs nothing more than it needs every time it is used.
          Fire it up, get it to temp, and put the product inside the cook chamber.

Comment

• JakeT
            JakeT commented
            Editing a comment
            BBQ_Bill and ComfortablyNumb, sorry for all the pestering! But your guys' info is appreciated! I'll see you all on Saturday or Sunday!!

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            JakeT No worries, we're glad to help.

Stocked up on some wood, this should all last me quite a while! I got a quarter cord of Oak, and 3.4 cu. ft. of hickory and 3.4 of mesquite. I'm going to have to cut it all down to size as I use it, but I figure better to leave it in full splits so it doesn't get too too dried out. Due to arrive Saturday 7/7 by end of day.

Ribs, tri tip, and beans are on the menu for Sunday!

Name:	IMG_1579.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	528167Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5056.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	528168

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            Sweet!
            Looks like you are ready for some smokin' good times!
            I have packer brisket going and all will be ready for slicing Sunday.

Burning down the lump charcoal to get a good bed of oak coals! Chicken drumsticks will be going for the maiden voyage!

Name:	2526FEEC-4AE4-40BB-A579-E6876FDBE5EE.jpeg
Views:	292
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	528699

Comment

Anybody manage to put FireBoard temp probes through any holes in this bad boy?

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            My probes go through the front door, then hold the wires at the top corner and close the door.

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            Found a pic so you can see, bottom pic post 28 https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...radition/page2

• Histrix
            Histrix commented
            Editing a comment
            I drilled a hole in the side and put a grommet in it for feeding probes. My door is very tight and didn't want to risk screwing up a probe wire.

JakeT
          Some KBQ's did NOT have the "corner-of-the-door" tweak or 'wow' in them to accommodate probe wires.
          Mine all have this bending that Mr. Karau added.
          -
          With brisket, I have stopped using probes inside the cook chambers.

Name:	Bent for probe wires.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	528878
          Last edited by BBQ_Bill; July 8, 2018, 04:15 AM. Reason: Added a composite photo for clarity

Comment

On another note, please go HERE to read about my Door Kit purchase options JakeT
            Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here