Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ Roll Call

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first smoke and these are the first logs loaded into the KBQ. Fruita Wood Post Oak 3x6 mini-splits (which were just too small IMHO). I'll be looking for a local wood source. I've got a bunch of questions - rather than bore everybody with newbie questions, can someone PM me? Thanks!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170909_121530.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.24 MB ID:	377505
    Last edited by kmuoio; September 9, 2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You should share your questions with the group!! We love discussion, that is why we are all here. This is how we all learn from each other. It is never a bore.

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      Plenty of n00bs here, myself included. I might learn something.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      I second Spinaker. I don't have a KBQ, but would like to learn more. Your questions and the great answers from the good folks in the Pit would be very helpful to me.

Howdy kmuoio!
    If you have my cell number in your Door Kit instructions still, give me a call.
    Will do what I can to help.
    -
    Better yet, go to this thread Here.
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; September 10, 2017, 03:03 PM.

Comment

lostclusters, BBQ_Bill, and Spinaker - thanks for the response.

Cooked 2 racks of ribs and overall they were dry. A couple of the fattier pieces were excellent. I cooked the ribs to internal temperature of 190 - which is what I have been doing on my gas grill. Ribs cooked so much faster than expected - just under 4 hours - which is 2 hours less than usual!

I did not use a water pan or spritz - could this have played a role? Which of these do you recommend or should I do both.

All in all, I had a ton of fun with the KBQ and the neighbors were super curious about this contraption and what I was doing with it! I've got some general feedback for people considering the KBQ - having taken the plunge, I can provide my pros and cons from my "first time," not sure if this the right place to post or in "KBQ has landed."
      Last edited by kmuoio; September 10, 2017, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        I have started a new thread.
        KBQ - The "Maiden Voyage"
        I have posted my dry rib experience there.

• lostclusters
        lostclusters commented
        Editing a comment
        The KBQ is a wood fired convection oven. Convection ovens cook faster than ovens which are not convection. Typically it is like cooking 25 degrees hotter than what the temps are.

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed lostclusters

kmuoio I suggest starting your own thread. We were curious about how many have a KBQ, so this thread was for that. 'KBQ has landed' is a great thread, but it is 81 pages and 1200 posts, going back to find a conversation in it can take a lot of searching.

Comment

So ComfortablyNumb my fellow smoking friend, we are currently in this Roll Call of yours at 27 KBQ's.
        Not too shabby!

Comment

This KBQ is not new to here, but new to me. Just letting her stretch her legs and work on a porterhouse.
          Cheers
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5944.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	382327

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for your purchase of my KBQ Door Kit Smokin D!
            You are my 24th customer!

The purchase of this nearly new and hardly used machine has shown up here, and places this Roll Call at machine # 28.
          As far as I can tell, it never made this Roll Call.
          Smoke On Smokin' D!

Comment

If I may, not a KBQ owner but very interested, would like to ask a question. How much wood does it go thru per hour (lbs) from your experiences. Their website states 2-4 lbs per hour. Reason is I don't have access to lots of wood choices here in WA without purchasing chunks from sites like Vaughn Wood Products. I do have some maple and birch (birch burns very fast) and some cherry. Maple seems to be a little strong as chunk wood but not as bad when used as stick burner. But once the wood is gone, it's gone. Been looking for years for local wood supplier. I like oak, alder, hickory, cherry and apple better than maple. It could get very expensive having to order wood chunks. I really like the concept of the KBQ and I know I like straight wood flavor more than charcoal briquettes. Can you use lump charcoal along with some other real wood chunks? (sorry, more than 1 question...)

Comment

• Histrix
              Histrix commented
              Editing a comment
              In case you haven't seen it - take a look at this page on the KBQ site - http://www.kbq.us/wood-selection/

Maple, birch, and cherry would be fine for use with a KBQ.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              For something like spares (~4 hours), I find I go through 8-10 pieces of oak splits at the recommended size. It's really pretty thrifty. I do the usual 1/2 chimney lump base, followed by splits.

What part of WA do you live? Fruitwood is abundant from the orchards. I got trailer loads for $150 in Omak. Check CL, I saw free maple and oak on the coast. Also saw cords of oak available.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
              JimLinebarger commented
              Editing a comment
              East side. We do have some orchards so I will look into that. But really want oak, alder and hickory. Seems like those are on middle and west side more. I have checked CL and the oak they sell on this side has drawers. Occasionally I see maple.

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm about 100 miles north of Spokane if you'd like to see the KBQ in action. Well, once we get a little more moisture....

Chunks aren't recommended. Lump to get the wood burning, then stick. BTW there is a used once KBQ in Seattle for $1200.

Comment

JimLinebarger

The KBQ does go through wood. I don't know if it is any faster than a normal stick burner. But I would say that it is closer to the 4 lb range. Personally, I don't think ordering smoking wood from Fruita or Vaughn for stick burners makes good financial sense. (Unless it really doesn't matter to you.) I own a KBQ because I have wood readily available. If I had to order in cords of wood to feed it. It would not own one. This is the case with any stick burner I would own. Stick burners use a lot of wood when compared with other cookers. There is really no way around it.
              You could use lump in the KBQ but you would not get any flavor out of it, and to add chunks would not give you the full flavor you are looking for when buying a KBQ. Most lump has very little flavor especially when the heat is being delivered indirectly, like the KBQ.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
                JimLinebarger commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you. Because of the wood issue, KBQ and stick burners seem to be out of reach until I can find a local wood source. I was thinking that using lump would work but would not give the results that the KBQ is really good for. So I may just need to get a pellet grill instead. I do like my PBC but I miss the all wood flavor.

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
              JimLinebarger

The KBQ does go through wood. I don't know if it is any faster than a normal stick burner. But I would say that it is closer to the 4 lb range. Personally, I don't think ordering smoking wood from Fruita or Vaughn for stick burners makes good financial sense. (Unless it really doesn't matter to you.) I own a KBQ because I have wood readily available. If I had to order in cords of wood to feed it. It would not own one. This is the case with any stick burner I would own. Stick burners use a lot of wood when compared with other cookers. There is really no way around it.
              You could use lump in the KBQ but you would not get any flavor out of it, and to add chunks would not give you the full flavor you are looking for when buying a KBQ. Most lump has very little flavor especially when the heat is being delivered indirectly, like the KBQ.
              I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this. First off, if only people who had a supply of wood that they don't have to lay out cash for bought KBQs Bill would have stopped making them a long time ago. Even if you do have all the wood you need on property, it still takes time, sweat, and tools (that cost money) to harvest. I'll agree on the Fruita or Vaughn, however buying a cord of local wood shouldn't be a deal breaker. You estimated the KBQ burns 4lbs. an hour. A cord weighs 2 tonnes so that would give you about 500 hours of burn time. A cord ranges from $150 to $250, which at the high end translate to fifty cents an hour, assuming I've done all the math correctly. If you can afford a KBQ you should be able to afford that. No matter how you get cut it, all fuel sources will cost you money, charcoal, pellets, or propane. And if you want wood smoke with them you have to buy chips or chunks, much more expensive per pound than cord price. Then there is a factor that money can't buy, cooking on the purist form of heat, the mesmerising flame (I mean really, who finds a pile of white ash or blue flame mesmerising?) and the flavour of the smoke. Yes, stick burners use a lot of wood compared to other cookers, but they use less charcoal, gas, or pellets......

Comment

• Histrix
                Histrix commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm betting most of us KBQ owners have to buy their firewood by the cord or fraction of a cord. Living in the 'burbs I don't own acres of property full of trees that I can cull.

ComfortablyNumb This is why I mentioned Fruita or Vaughn, not local suppliers. Having a local supplier would mean that you have a wood supply readily available. It would appear from his post, that Jim does not. I know we have some members in Colorado, as well, who have had trouble finding local suppliers of oak, cherry, hickory etc in there area. He mentions that he has been looking for years for a wood suppler in WA, with no luck.
              What I was trying to say was, ordering wood as he did, is not an economical way to burn wood in the KBQ. Especially since he was considering burning only lump or wood chunks as fuel. I would agree, most of us find local suppliers and a minority of us cut our own. I did not want him buying a KBQ thinking he could feed it with lump and chunks of wood or be able to economically buy wood, in bulk, from these online retailers.
              You are correct, all cookers do cost money to run, of course they do. The reason you buy your wood from a local supplier is because it is cheaper than buying from a Vaughn or a Fruita. If you don't have a local supplier and you own a KBQ, what are your options? These online stores are all there is. I did not want him getting into a situation where he owned a KBQ and it was going to be really expensive to run. That is the point I was trying to make here.

Comment

Thank you all for your input and information. I was afraid to ask this question on this thread because it might get hijacked. That was not my intention so I apologize for that. It was just a chance for me to ask the many owners of the KBQ. There are other factors involved with me when it comes to my next cooker. Again thank you for your help.

Comment

Spinaker Perhaps I misunderstood you. I was under the impression wood from Fruita came in small boxes up to 50lbs, not cords. I am not aware cords can be purchased online. Did you mean when you said, "If I had to order in cords of wood to feed it. It would not own one" ordering 40 boxes from Fruita? If so, then I agree with you, that would make a cord $6400. I see in JimLinebarger profile he lives in Spokane Valley, that is 110 miles from where I live. I purchased this wood 120 miles from where I live. It appears this thread is already hijacked, so we may as continue on and ask 'What is local?' People who live in cities tend to view local as to what can be had within a five block radius. (Yes, that is sarcasm, but you get the point.) People who live in the country view anything within 500 miles as local. For example, I drive 110 miles to shop at Costco and to work just down the street from JimLinebarger If I want to go to a professional sports game or major concert, I have to drive 340 miles. I wouldn't, I don't value attending a sports event or concert enough to do so, however I have neighbours that do. Which brings us to the next question, 'How much do you value something?' Us humans will do what every necessary to do the things we really want. I have a handmade leather case, paid $400 for it. A friend admired it and asked about it. When I answered his question as to cost he replied he couldn't afford that much. Later he took a trip to Hawaii. So really, could he not afford the case, or did he value a trip to Hawaii more? Myself, I have no use for a trip to Hawaii, I'd rather have the case, a KBQ, and make a 120 mile trip to the vast fruit orchards in WA state. For the cost of a trip to Hawaii, I could make another 340 mile trip and get some oak, which something I may do anyway.

Bottom line, which I believe we can all agree upon is, before purchasing a KBQ have a wood source lined up. Even if you are Bill Gates and order from Fruita.

I was going to end there, but I began wondering about pellets. So I looked up online, Home Depot sells them for $19 per 20 pound bag. That would make two tonnes, the weight of a cord of hardwood, $3800. They burn about half a pound an hour So that is 2000 hours of burn time. Same amount of burn time in a KBQ would be four cords, and at the high end of $250 a cord that would be $1000. So if I lived in Spokane Valley, the question would be could I make four trips to Okanogan (about 150 miles) for $2800? Or 140 miles to Burbank?
                  Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; September 20, 2017, 02:50 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was referring to "cords" from Fruita kind of tongue and cheek, I was really wasn't expecting to have it taken seriously. He was buying from them so that is what I used to make the point. Even if they did offer it by the cord it would be crazy to buy it from them.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Personally, the reason I cut my own wood is, I don't want to have worry about ordering wood, driving to get it, what the moisture is, if I am getting ripped off or worry about what I am getting.

• BBQ_Bill
                    BBQ_Bill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    YOU are a Blessed man Spinaker

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here