Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ Roll Call

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sid P View Post
    Technically I joined the club on Thursday, but mine was christened yesterday with an 8# pork butt.
    How did the first cook go? I do love seeing a shiny new KBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post

How did the first cook go? I do love seeing a shiny new KBQ!
      It went great, thanks! My wife scored an $8/8# pork butt, so I smoked that I instead of doing a dry run. On Sunday night after sitting in the smoke all day it merely tasted really good, but the leftovers were AMAZING. The lack of charcoal really lets the wood and pork flavors shine!

Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes! Love to hear that! Thanks for sharing!

jhoskins Sid P BBQ_Bill used to sell these at cost. You would pull the pivot rod at the bottom of your KBQ door, cut it somewhere towards the middle with a metal saw, then slip this SS ferule on. The dimensions are 5/16" OD, and I think that reads 0.028" thick.

[Don't you love imperial units!! Worst thing Reagan ever did was to kill the move to metric. USA, USA! Would be a shame if our kids and grandkids had to move decimal points to do math, instead of 12 inches in a foot (and of course, divide the inch into sixteenths?) 3 feet in a yard, and 5280 feet in a mile. Sure easier than 10mm in a cm, 100 cm in a meter, 1000 meters in a km, etc. Oh, and what about ounces, lbs, quarts. And, 32 is freezing, 212 is boiling, vs 0 and 100 degrees Celsius! ]

Well, I've gone and distracted myself. Anyways, this mod makes cleaning much easier, since you can slide the ferrule to the side, remove the rod pieces, take off the door, and reach the inside with ease, as well as cleaning under the bottom of the door, where grease tends to run and hide.

Tell me that KBQ Bill Karue has included this mod in his new units??? One can hope!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Dr. Pepper; September 28, 2021, 01:44 PM. Reason: OOps , metric mistake! Hah

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep! This makes it super easy.

Oh, and one other use of the KBQ, jhoskins Sid P
      Daniel

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0997.jpeg
Views:	618
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1101965

THE NY STRIP HAS BEEN ROASTED IN A 220 OVEN UNTIL IT 120
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0998.jpeg
Views:	621
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1101963 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1001.jpeg
Views:	624
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1101964 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1002.jpeg
Views:	633
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	1101966 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1004.jpeg
Views:	620
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	1101968 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1006.jpeg
Views:	639
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	1101967

Comment

• Chiller Phil
        Chiller Phil commented
        Editing a comment
        Why start them in the oven?
        Start them in the cookbox with the upper valve open and finish them on the Sear Grid.
        When cooking for many, reduce your controlbox's set point so that it is a Holding Oven while you Sear them.
        Best steaks I have ever made are on the KBQ.

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Chiller Phil That's what I do.

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Pee Wee Rouk Just thought I would be sure you have seen this use of your KBQ for searing.

Looking Great and very tasty, thank for sharing.

Comment

I got one and it traveled all the way down to Ecuador. Since a I found this forum, all I do is read through all KBQ related posts haha I’m trying to shorten the learning curve as much as I can. So far it’s been a blast using it.
        Attached Files

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome to the Pit!

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome!

BBQ_Bill has been busy (life, ya know) and doesn't have time to update the Roll Call anymore. I talked with ComfortablyNumb and he told me to go for it. Here is the updated roster of KBQ owners.

BBQ_Bill left off at #77, I'll take over with #78. Welcome to the KBQ family everyone!

So...
        Here is the CURRENT list of KBQ owners who joined the KBQ Family/Club and their machine numbers as entered in ComfortablyNumb's KBQ Roll Call:

1) ComfortablyNumb

2) smokinfatties
        3) Histrix
        4) Ernest
        5) gilroy97
        6) BBQ_Bill
        7) BBQ_Bill
        8) lostclusters
        9) hogdog6
        10) JASON1973
        11) badf00d
        12) Baker Dan
        13) carolts
        14) Spinaker
        15) SMOG MAN
        16) OmegaDog12
        17) Dale Case
        18) SteveEd
        19) johnnylighton
        20) JGrana
        21) krish the fish
        22) Zac Jones
        23) EdF
        24) bbqncigars
        25) burke54
        26) Ericm
        27) kmuoio
        28) Smokin D
        29) ArkieKBQ
        30) Livermoron
        31) ArtSob
        32) maa180
        33) Koy Schoppe
        34) DuckinBBQ
        35) SteinerBBQ
        36) Lpatton
        37) GileadA
        38) Bellefonte Smoker
        39) Timbo54
        40) mduenke
        41) overeasy
        42) wine_junkie
        43) Cutestory
        44) Smocalypse
        45) BBQ_Bill
        46) JakeT
        47) Greatplainsbrewer
        48) Rfuilrez
        49) Dr. Pepper
        50) briancc
        51) cabbot1
        52) BBQ_Bill
        53) goldp18
        54) Larpaul
        55) mrk
        56) lkcyford
        57) Ricardo
        58) NGS
        59) smokinbob
        60) pitchfork_man
        61) silver taco
        62) Big John Tx
        63) krampot
        64) ST520
        65) Dawgtired
        66) SmokyMikeBBQ
        67) SmokinTexas
        68) frigate
        69) scottingaround
        70) Devil_Inside
        71) pmillen
        72) rhequiem
        73) goskers
        74) dirtman
        75) danforth
        76) Ernest
        77) Gumby1

78. SmokeyNate
        79. 58limited
        80. EricMcGee
        81. Joephoto
        82. Tom Morton
        83. Adventures
        84. LiquidVTX
        85. Skin13
        86. vtkess02
        87. timmur
        88. Seth Hensel
        89. TheCattleman
        90. KenYz
        91. Coconut Monkey
        92. ddevine
        93. Lcolson
        94. Joey
        95. stutz57
        96. Ronaldf123
        97. alabamamike
        98. mountwashingtonmike
        99. Pete914
        100. SpeedmanWCC
        101. Bruceski44
        102. Red Strand Ribs
        103. JCBBQ
        104. jhyde2911
        105. ttongue
        106. TJewell
        107. RickyG
        108. Brick
        109. @Killa J
        110. pricejt75
        111. @Xandrellas
        112. jhoskins
        113. Sid P
        114. bbqFRVA1992
        115. Chiller Phil
        116. keef
        117. ChaoticSqaure
        118. glitchy
        119. jjdbike
        120. teamrider17
        121. flepper
        122. CALNZ
        123. TCHoya
        124. Red Strand Ribs
        125. bchapman
        126. whennen
        127. jsvest
        128. RayBecue
        129. Taipan
        130. AJR
        131. cbritton
        132. Rbar
        133. cooperhud
        134. Tombstoneman34
        135. suhey26
        136. Below Zero Smoker
        137. eschmid2
        138. TripleB
        139. MattTheGR8

Last edited by 58limited; January 31, 2024, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome to the pit teamrider17 ! I added you to the KBQ list.

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Ernest is listed twice at 3 and 76. Does he have two?

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          STEbbq If someone gets a second or third KBQ then they get listed more than once. BBQ_Bill has three.

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotcha.

KBQ owner since December 2021

Comment

• Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats!

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome & enjoy.

Just picked up lostclusters Probably going to be awhile before I can use it as I'm in the middle of remodeling both the inside AND outside. May have to run up to the family's property for a first trial run.

Comment

Originally posted by jhyde2911 View Post
          Took delivery a few weeks ago. Already have two cooks pork ribs (A+) and prime brisket (B). Going to try chicken and Dino beef ribs soon.
          I've never caught a big black drum like that. It's not for lack of trying. I know it sounds crazy, but I've read the ribs are good barbecued, w/ barbecue sauce. I've also heard the tail sections can be wormy. I'm kind used to that from years of cod fishing... back when there were still cod to be had and you could keep them.
          I'd sure love to hear a report on how that black drum came out.
          JD

Comment

Love mine.

Comment

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome! I added you to the roll call list.

New member, soon to be new KBQer.

pulled the trigger yesterday, hoping to see it arrive soon!

Comment

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome! I added you to the list.

• Sid P
              Sid P commented
              Editing a comment
              Congrats, you’ll love it.

Is the KBQ a convection smoker which cuts cooking time. last weekend I set the temp to cycle between 213 to 250 degrees and smoked a brisket fat side down. After 5.5 hours it was at 172 degrees. This seemed fast, I pulled the brisket from the smoker and wrapped it in tallowed covered butcher paper and put it in an aluminum pan then in my oven at 250. I set my maverick temp to alarm when the brisket hit 203 degrees and put it in the brisket where the point meets the flat. At 203 degrees there was a lot of juices in the pan but it smelled great and probed tender. I then let it cool and my oven to cool also. After a few minutes when the brisket was down to 170 degrees I rewrapped the butcher paper and set my oven to its warm setting and let the brisket rest for 7.5 hours. The brisket probed at 156 degrees thoughout after the rest. When I cut into the brisket the point was perfect but in my opinion the flat seemed a bit dry. This was 20th brisket, my family said it was very good but I still can't seem to smoke a great brisket with the point and flat both tender moist barkey and smokey. I usually inject by brisket with Minors products like Myron
            Mixon this time I didn't because I think that makes the brisket too pot roasty tasting. Harry So has videos that inject with beef tallow, wagu beef tallow, lard, and ghee, Harry So also likes to use Minors al jus as a binder. Harry also had a video that said to inject at 101.5 degrees the same temperature as cow for maximum tenderness with your injection liquid at 101.5 also. Chubs has a video that uses the foil boat as a wrap not butcher paper. I tried John Lewis dry rub this time : 8 parts black pepper, 3 parts both kosher salt and lowerys season salt, and 1 part garlic granules. I usually use Meatheads big bad beef rub but I wanted a Texas style rub. Now for some questions. Has anyone tried the tallow injection? Has anyone injected at 101.5 degrees? Has anyone emulsified tallow and beef broth with a stick blender and injected with that? Should I only inject the flat? Has anyone tried the foil boat wrap to preserve the bark? Has anyone held a smoked brisket in a suis vede bath to rest it? Is it better to finish a brisket in the oven or keep burning wood in the KBQ with the foil boat method? I would like to say that I love the KBQ and the complete control over the smoke profile using the poppet valves. I wish the on off cycling would be only ten degrees above or below my target temp. The only thing I haven't smoked is fish. Im afraid in might give the smoker a fishy smell. Still trying to get that consistent great elusive brisket but I have to say I'm really enjoying the road to brisket nirvana.
            ​​​​​​
            ​​​​​

Comment

Hi Teamrider

Im new to the KBQ and others here might be able to answer your questions better than me. I would recommend reading the entire Sticky thread started by Ernest. Lots of wisdom in there. Takes awhile to get through it but your KBQ experience will be elevated for sure (mine was).

From my experience so far:

1. yes the KBQ cooks way faster than other cookers
              2. Start with the highest quality meat you can find as a heavily marbled flat will be juicier
              3. I would try not wrapping in the KBQ as it’s unnecessary, with the convection taking you right through the stall anyway, and it more likely to end up pot roasty if you wrap (imo)
              4. It’s pretty common to have a drier flat (fatty vs lean) and they do tend to finish at diff times so if it’s super important both are perfect, try separating them before cooking
              5. I don’t ever inject I just make sure I’m cooking something with loads of fat content that will render
              6. I don’t think you will need to boat it in the KBQ just run it naked for the entire cook. Boating is to speed up cook without losing bark. You don’t need to speed it up in Kbq and bark will be amazing.
              7. Give a decent 2-4 hour rest wrapped in butcher paper and thrown in the cooler before serving, will help a touch.
              8. The bark from KBQ I have had so far has been exceptional with little need for boat or even a spritz for that matter. But I’d be spritzing before I’d be boating for it tastes on KBQ.

Hope that helps let us know how it goes and posts some pics ! Maybe start a thread so it doesn’t go off topic in the roll call sticky.

cheers

Last edited by CALNZ; June 4, 2022, 09:21 PM. Reason: iPhone predictive text mistakes

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here