Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ Roll Call

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    Welcome! Good lookin' Que you made there. I added you to the roll call list.

• whennen
    replied
    I have had one since 2017 and will never leave krack bq. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170527_164425041.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	1288030 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170419_134452594.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1288031 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170921_142916030_HDR.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	1288032 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171228_123346337.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	1288033

Leave a comment:

• hogdog6
    commented on 's reply
    Sweet.

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    Congrats! I added you to the roster.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Nice! Congrats, you are going to love it.

• bchapman
    replied
    Mine shipped yesterday! Can't wait to put it to work!

Leave a comment:

• Red Strand Ribs
    commented on 's reply
    It was pretty impressive, kids ate plenty and I had it over two days. Can be hard to get BBQ cuts over here, but befriending a butcher has paid dividends…

• CALNZ
    commented on 's reply
    Looks good. I haven’t tried a brisket on my KBQ. But I have a monster xxl packer wet aging in my fridge waiting for the right excuse. Thinking I will separate the point and flat.

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    Looks good. I just added you to the roster.

• Sid P
    commented on 's reply
    It certainly looks good. How was it?

• Red Strand Ribs
    replied
    Second attempt at a brisket on the KBQ. No one at home is particularly interested, but just had to post a picture here… Click image for larger version

Name:	E8C14E06-817B-43A9-A8E7-3DCE7C19D72B.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	1247552

Leave a comment:

• CALNZ
    replied
    Hi Teamrider

Im new to the KBQ and others here might be able to answer your questions better than me. I would recommend reading the entire Sticky thread started by Ernest. Lots of wisdom in there. Takes awhile to get through it but your KBQ experience will be elevated for sure (mine was).

From my experience so far:

1. yes the KBQ cooks way faster than other cookers
    2. Start with the highest quality meat you can find as a heavily marbled flat will be juicier
    3. I would try not wrapping in the KBQ as it’s unnecessary, with the convection taking you right through the stall anyway, and it more likely to end up pot roasty if you wrap (imo)
    4. It’s pretty common to have a drier flat (fatty vs lean) and they do tend to finish at diff times so if it’s super important both are perfect, try separating them before cooking
    5. I don’t ever inject I just make sure I’m cooking something with loads of fat content that will render
    6. I don’t think you will need to boat it in the KBQ just run it naked for the entire cook. Boating is to speed up cook without losing bark. You don’t need to speed it up in Kbq and bark will be amazing.
    7. Give a decent 2-4 hour rest wrapped in butcher paper and thrown in the cooler before serving, will help a touch.
    8. The bark from KBQ I have had so far has been exceptional with little need for boat or even a spritz for that matter. But I’d be spritzing before I’d be boating for it tastes on KBQ.

Hope that helps let us know how it goes and posts some pics ! Maybe start a thread so it doesn’t go off topic in the roll call sticky.

cheers

Last edited by CALNZ; June 4, 2022, 09:21 PM. Reason: iPhone predictive text mistakes

Leave a comment:

• teamrider17
    replied
    Is the KBQ a convection smoker which cuts cooking time. last weekend I set the temp to cycle between 213 to 250 degrees and smoked a brisket fat side down. After 5.5 hours it was at 172 degrees. This seemed fast, I pulled the brisket from the smoker and wrapped it in tallowed covered butcher paper and put it in an aluminum pan then in my oven at 250. I set my maverick temp to alarm when the brisket hit 203 degrees and put it in the brisket where the point meets the flat. At 203 degrees there was a lot of juices in the pan but it smelled great and probed tender. I then let it cool and my oven to cool also. After a few minutes when the brisket was down to 170 degrees I rewrapped the butcher paper and set my oven to its warm setting and let the brisket rest for 7.5 hours. The brisket probed at 156 degrees thoughout after the rest. When I cut into the brisket the point was perfect but in my opinion the flat seemed a bit dry. This was 20th brisket, my family said it was very good but I still can't seem to smoke a great brisket with the point and flat both tender moist barkey and smokey. I usually inject by brisket with Minors products like Myron
    Mixon this time I didn't because I think that makes the brisket too pot roasty tasting. Harry So has videos that inject with beef tallow, wagu beef tallow, lard, and ghee, Harry So also likes to use Minors al jus as a binder. Harry also had a video that said to inject at 101.5 degrees the same temperature as cow for maximum tenderness with your injection liquid at 101.5 also. Chubs has a video that uses the foil boat as a wrap not butcher paper. I tried John Lewis dry rub this time : 8 parts black pepper, 3 parts both kosher salt and lowerys season salt, and 1 part garlic granules. I usually use Meatheads big bad beef rub but I wanted a Texas style rub. Now for some questions. Has anyone tried the tallow injection? Has anyone injected at 101.5 degrees? Has anyone emulsified tallow and beef broth with a stick blender and injected with that? Should I only inject the flat? Has anyone tried the foil boat wrap to preserve the bark? Has anyone held a smoked brisket in a suis vede bath to rest it? Is it better to finish a brisket in the oven or keep burning wood in the KBQ with the foil boat method? I would like to say that I love the KBQ and the complete control over the smoke profile using the poppet valves. I wish the on off cycling would be only ten degrees above or below my target temp. The only thing I haven't smoked is fish. Im afraid in might give the smoker a fishy smell. Still trying to get that consistent great elusive brisket but I have to say I'm really enjoying the road to brisket nirvana.
    ​​​​​​
    ​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Sid P
    commented on 's reply
    Congrats, you’ll love it.

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    Welcome! I added you to the list.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here