Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ Tradition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I consider it an honour your first and only snow experience was in my backyard. When I was young my parents took me and a classmate up to Big Bear for my first snow. My wife and I skied a few times up near Tahoe and used to visit Julian when we lived in San Diego. Now I live in it, and love it. I know exactly where you stayed, you were only a couple of miles from Frank's downtown. Next time, eh?

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Perhaps. I too went to big bear once when I was a kid. We went with the recreation dept from the park. The only thing I remember was my big brother taking my gloves and me freezing by this big giant rock. I have were frozen solid.

Shouldn’t it be KBC?????

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      There is no Q in Karubecue!
      I rest my case
      don’t ban me !!!

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      there was no mention of a probationary or 60 day review you speak of! Another unwritten doyble secret tradition? Didn’t know it was so deep here!

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Well that 👇👇👇 about sums it up yup. "Q." Hence the "Secret" in Double secret probation. He'll be alright folks.... move along.... nothing to see here.

Like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170219_180431.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	461009

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      thats obviously a misprint! get your money back!

I got called to work in Spokane on Monday night, a trip to North Bend and finishing up at 05:00. I slept in Frank's parking lot until they opened and had breakfast. Afterwards I had some time to kill waiting for the Union Hall and Costco to open, so since I was downtown I went to Spokane Falls. All the years I've lived here I hadn't visited these spots yet.

I parked across the street from the Washington Water Power building. WWP, now Avista, had its beginnings in 1889, the same year Washington attained statehood and Spokane suffered a Great Fire. The small attached building you see on the left is home to the Mobius Science Center.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0407.jpg Views:	1 Size:	167.4 KB ID:	463902

180 degrees from that view is this view of the Upper Falls.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0403.jpg Views:	1 Size:	101.0 KB ID:	463903

A short walk up the street brought me to the edge of Riverfront Park There are several statues of runners as a tribute to the Bloomsday Race.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0400.jpg Views:	1 Size:	130.9 KB ID:	463904

Behind them is the newly built Ice Ribbon

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0402.jpg Views:	1 Size:	129.0 KB ID:	463905

Across the street next to the WWP building is Huntington Park with a view of the Lower Falls.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0397.jpg Views:	1 Size:	123.2 KB ID:	463906

Passing overhead is the Skyride, a gondola that originates in Riverfront Park carrying passengers over the Spokane River.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0399.jpg Views:	1 Size:	120.1 KB ID:	463907

That's all for this trip.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      ComfortablyNumb Thank you for all of the pics! You should be getting some kickbacks from the local chamber of commerce with all of these great pics of the area!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      They are very enjoyable! Thanks!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, that place looks cool. I am going to be on the road, in Iowa tomorrow. Not nearly as picturesque.

I've been doing quite a bit of tractor work lately. Kubota was thoughtful enough to provide a beer holder for me.

Name:	DSCF1664.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	487560

Comment

Just about to head out from Livingston, MT. Unbelievable week of fishing all over NW Montana. (I think I need smaller waders too ;/)

Name:	IMG_4393.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	506882Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4220.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	506881Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1125.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	506883

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Gonna' be smoking some fish?

KBQ gets hungry!

Super Envious! I was fishing in Livingston area last fall. Looks great
      Last edited by hogdog6; December 8, 2018, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Took my family and my KBQ cozy on a Caribbean cruise. Closest I got to good barbecue was Guy’s "Pig and Anchor" BBQ joint located on the ship. It was okay.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Very Nice!!!

My Charlie Brown Tree
        Attached Files

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey, I believe that is the rare semi-evergreen birch!

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha ComfortablyNumb it is rare due the deer keeping it nicely trimmed. Kind of like a their own Bonsai tree.
          When the snow gets deep the bottom branches are protected and the upper ones too high for them reach. TaDa no middle.

We had snow on Tuesday night, took some pics but didn't have my coolie at the time. So I grabbed one this morning. This is my new backyard!

Name:	snow on field.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	627125

Same shot to the NW yesterday

Name:	snow on field2.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	627126

A bit earlier to the SW

Name:	snow on field3.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	627129

Sun peeking throgh the apple trees

Name:	snow on field4.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	627127

The big walnut in my front yard

Name:	snow on field5.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	627128

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Simply gorgeous ComfortablyNumb. How long did it take you to prune all the apple trees?

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          Craigar The apples haven't been pruned yet for the coming season. And it won't take me any time at all, the orchardist that leases the orchard and his crew will, and mow, and spray, and harvest. All I have to do is run the irrigation.

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Lucky you!

I went to Spokane last week, got some pics of the Grand Coulee Dam

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1082.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	635777

This view is from Crown Point looking south towards the dam.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1085.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	635776

Now looking north as the Columbia River heads toward the Colville Indian Reservation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1067.jpg Views:	1 Size:	817.5 KB ID:	635773

Up close and personal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1088.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	635772

Looking over the top. After they dammed the Columbia, they named the lake they created Lake Roosevelt.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1089.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1,004.4 KB ID:	635775

Heading out of Grand Coulee towards Wilbur, the backside of the dam.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1035.jpg Views:	1 Size:	984.1 KB ID:	635774

Downriver the next dam the Columbia meets in Chief Joeseph Dam near Bridgeport, WA

I know what you're thinking, another dam post from CN.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
          Oakgrovebacon commented
          Editing a comment
          Keep them coming, very enjoyable pictures.

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          It's been awhile. Thanks for the pics ComfortablyNumb

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Great photos, Numb! Brings to mind the Woody Guthrie song, Roll on Columbia. Our 6 year old grandson loves that song.

Here's a few more from the last trip:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1090.jpg Views:	1 Size:	943.9 KB ID:	636635

This statue is in Wilbur, WA. It's on Highway 2 by the Visitor's Centre, no idea why.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1091.jpg Views:	1 Size:	685.5 KB ID:	636633

I had dinner at the Tribune Smokehouse in Davenport, WA. Smoked burger with bacon, fries, smoked potato salad, and cole slaw.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1093.jpg Views:	1 Size:	852.9 KB ID:	636638

Headed back to Okanogan by Highway 20. This is the mighty Columbia from the bridge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1094.jpg Views:	1 Size:	973.1 KB ID:	636636

Looking the other direction, north. Highway 20 is two lanes and at the Columbia another bridge for the train is alongside.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1095.jpg Views:	1 Size:	570.1 KB ID:	636634

Elevation sign at Sherman Pass, the highest pass in Washington state.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1096.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	636637

Looking north.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1097.jpg Views:	1 Size:	985.0 KB ID:	636639

To the south.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Wilbur is the pig from book Charlette's Web.

Got your chains on?

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          HawkerXP Thanks for the info, it was keeping me up nights wondering! ;-) No chains required that day.

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful country.

Father's Day is coming up and was considering the Karubeque. (Self presenting is always the best) The description says it likes to run at at a fairly hot temp. I've heard that low and slow is the best. I went from a low end propane smoker to a mid-line Master Built electric model so I could use a lower temp. So, what does the community think?

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          When you get it take lots of pictures with your coolie and post them here.

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          No coolie, no fun.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I run mine from 225F up to max ~325F (for poultry). I think you can get it lower than 225, but I haven't tried it. Typical smoke would be to run it around 235F. But that all depends on what you want to do. Expect things to be done quicker due to its convection. eg spares on the BGE at ~225 go for 6, but 5 on the KBQ; baby backs 5 on the BGE, 4 on the KBQ.

Planning to make 2019 the year my coozie arrives...along with my KBQ! :-)

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh yeah!

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Do it!

I spent the week covering the feeder run. Nice thing about doing the job this time of year is I get to see the sunset and the sunrise, I never get tired of them.

Name:	IMG_1407.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	684448
        This one was early in the week, taken at the Chief Joseph Dam near Bridgeport, WA

Name:	IMG_1413.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	684446
        This one is between Grand Coulee and Leahy at the only turnout for the two lane, 60MPH, 22 mile stretch.

Name:	IMG_1419.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	684447
        This morning between Wilbur and Grand Coulee.

Name:	IMG_1427.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	684444
        Further down the road, just south of Grand Coulee. The body of water is the Columbia River

Name:	IMG_1434.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	684449
        And now just north of Grand Coulee, overlooking the dam.

Name:	IMG_1440.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	684450
        Thought some might be interested in this, these new trucks not only come with automatic transmissions, but a host of warning devices. Notice the little speed limit sign? The truck reads the sign on the road and posts it on the screen. If I go over the speed limit red and blue lights flash above the sign. Notice the two white lines at an angle in the centre, those are showing the lines on the road. If I cross over a road line without having a turn signal on the dash line will flash red and an alarm goes off. If I get too close behind a car, above the white lines will show a car and how many seconds behind I am. It starts out green, then goes to yellow, then red, all the while sounding an alarm. If I'm in cruise control, the truck will start slowing down. If I'm rolling and get too close, the brakes will apply.

Name:	IMG_1442.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	684445
        Finally the sunrises, and the work week, are in the rear view mirror.....

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Roll on, Columbia, roll on.....

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here