Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New KBQ, a trailer of apple wood, and some nervous hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to see you got your KBQ up and running.

That's a lot of apple wood!!

Comment

I'm naming my KBQ Neo, because it's the One! Here are a couple of pics that may be of interest to KBQers or those contemplating.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1160.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	333023

These are the handles sold by Bill Polk. You can read his excellent comments and advice at http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...becue-c-60-pit
    He sells the handles and a piece to make the door removable (some cutting required) on ebay.
    His handle is usaf_blue and sells the kit for about $20 delivered. Two advantages are the handles
    are cool to open the door and allow for easier movement of the unit. A third, and perhaps the most
    important, is when spritzing meat during a cook it forces the spritz and juices to run back into the
    cook box, not out onto your patio.

Name:	DSCF1174.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	333024

This shows where I ran the probes from my Thermoworks Smoke into the cook box. Both fit nicely without crushing.

The only problem I have with the KBQ is this:

Name:	DSCF1165.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	333025

Why couldn't Bill make it go up to 11??

Comment

Great post!!! It looks like you are all set! Welcome to the KBQ family. It looks like you have a gorgeous setting to be smoking some home-grown meats. There is something magical about a mountain setting.

I love those pictures of the hogs. The little guys are the reason I still can't bring myself to do the suckling pig deal.

Name:	Piglet Hold.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	333114

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      How was this shot never in the running for a profile pic??

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      It was for a while, but I thought it was a bit morbid, considering i was smoking his brothers and sisters. :/ Maybe I will get it in there anyway.!!!!! Huskee

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes... that's a classic BBQ photo.👍 That shit eating grin tells the viewer that that piglet's days are numbered.👅

Don't let your apple wood get too dry. My Klose doesn't care, but the KBQ needs feeding every 20 minutes or LESS with bone dry apple logs. I've since removed the cover from the woodpile and prayed for rain :-)

Comment

Today was rather productive towards my goal. One of the hogs has been moved to a fresh pen to clean up and get ready to meet the KBQ next week. And today a Vacmaster chamber sealer arrived so I can seal up the meat. I haven't yet tried it out, just put together the cart (the unit is wickedly heavy and Mrs CN didn't want it out all the time, so this makes it portable) for it and got it out of the box.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0070.JPG Views:	1 Size:	73.0 KB ID:	353309
      Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; July 27, 2017, 10:53 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Women are very protective of kitchen space. Ever cubic foot is their private space and if you invade that space without their personal permission... you are doomed!😖 They will be stealing garage space before you even see it coming.🙀

• DSiewert
        DSiewert commented
        Editing a comment
        Where did you pick up the cart. I haven't found such a nice one, and it would work wonderfully with a big slicer I have.

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        DSiewert https://www.webstaurantstore.com/apw...135SSS18C.html

Looks like a darn good steak!

Comment

Maybe I can get some help from T-bone or Spinaker as you guys already own a VM. I got a roll of tape, a piece of thin metal rolled up, and a hex wrench with mine, pictured below. I also got a rectangular piece that looks like it covers the seal bar but forgot to include it in the pic. Oh, and two fuses. The Owners Manual is woefully inadequate, and the website just says a 'Maintenance Kit' is included. I finally figured out where the fuses go. The thin metal appears to be the heat strip in the seal bar. What the hex key is for, and what the tape is used for remains a mystery to me.

Name:	IMG_0085.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	354072

I still haven't had a chance to use it. Yesterday I was called in by UPS to deliver packages, something I haven't done in nearly 15 years. I delivered an new Traeger grill to a guy in Loon Lake. I mentioned AmazingRibs.com to him, however he was focused on his grill. Hopefully it stuck and he shows up here.

Comment

• T-bone
          T-bone commented
          Editing a comment
          I was stumped by the double-sided tape and hex wrench also. No help there. Sorry. My kit also came with a replacement tape for the seal bar. That has already come in handy (long story and messy clean up).

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks T-bone I picture some guy in China on his hands and knees looking under his workstation for his roll of tape! I can see where a hex key is necessary on the seal bar, however the one I was provided is much too large. Found it, the key will remove the cover, like I really want to do that!
          Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; July 30, 2017, 09:07 AM.

• T-bone
          T-bone commented
          Editing a comment
          That guy in China is going to be in real trouble since he keeps putting the tape in all our boxes. Ha! Thanks for the insight on the hex. It's a real bad day if you're having to take the cover off. Good luck with the new awesome machine.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here