Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd Cook on my KBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Cook on my KBQ

Today marks the second cook on my new KBQ. Schedule and weather have kept me from doing much with it since I got it.

I'm doing a rack of ribs (St. Louis cut) today for "Take 2". "Take 1" was possessed of a beautiful bark, but it was too dry. Being used to my BGE I tried to use a similar cook time. I think the KBQ just cooked faster. (Spoke with Bill today and got some tips). So here goes...

I also bought the B&D 'gator cutter. Oh, and an axe. And a chopping log. I've not split wood since I was 12 and living in PA.
    The firewood sized split logs I am able to buy locally are a bit too big. So I must split most of them in half, then chop them with the 'gator. I wish the 'gator had a slightly longer cutting capacity. But it works.

Will take some photos of the ribs in progress in a bit. Right now posting this, reading the forum and enjoying beer #2.

-Mettius
    Attached Files

Can't wait to see the perfect ribs soon to follow!

Comment

I have a BGE as well and the KBQ cooks way faster for sure. I'm pretty sure Bill probably mentioned it, but you can do the bend test on ribs and when they start slightly tearing apart when they bend they are ready. Look at the rib section here and you will find the write ups from meathead and others on here about it. Depending on the temp you run em at, you might start checking them after 1-1/2 to 2 hours..

Comment

What are amazing ribs? When I judge barbecue, here's what I look for: Appearance, scent, pork flavor, seasonings, smoke, sauce, texture, and balance.

Here you go, see #11

Comment

1:50 Min in to the smoke
          Attached Files

Comment

• Dale Case
            Dale Case commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh yeah you still got a ways to go. When you see the bones start peakin out the ends you are getting there

• Dale Case
            Dale Case commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice smoke in the pit !!

Can't upload final pics. Keep getting an error... Will try tomorrow I guess. But they turned out much better this time. And in less time than on my BGE.

Comment

About 4 hours at 225 is what I'm doing with dirty/clean 50/50

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here